Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's the difference between an Imageview Store (aliexpress) and a QHY268 Color camera?

Hello,

I came across this camera Imageview Store 26MP USB 3.0 on Aliexpress. Description looks a bit so and so (it mentions amp glow as being a feature but I guess this is either the result of "lost in translation" or a typo, with "no" missing. It uses the same Sony IMX571 processor as the QHY268C but comes at more or less half the price as the QHY268C.

Description also seems to be made by somebody that would use this for planetary imaging, where imho this is typically a deepsky imaging camera? Price is very interesting, but 1000+ Euros is still a lot of money (for me that is).

Can somebody with more experience and knowledge shed a light on this?

Thanks!

AstroRookie

54 minutes ago, AstroRookie said:

Hello,

I came across this camera Imageview Store 26MP USB 3.0 on Aliexpress. Description looks a bit so and so (it mentions amp glow as being a feature but I guess this is either the result of "lost in translation" or a typo, with "no" missing. It uses the same Sony IMX571 processor as the QHY268C but comes at more or less half the price as the QHY268C.

Description also seems to be made by somebody that would use this for planetary imaging, where imho this is typically a deepsky imaging camera? Price is very interesting, but 1000+ Euros is still a lot of money (for me that is).

Can somebody with more experience and knowledge shed a light on this?

Thanks!

AstroRookie

You may have to buy one and let us all know. Looks very similar to the Altair astro cameras. 

• Like 1

They are exactly the same as Altair cameras, these and  Altair are just re brands of Touptek / Risingcam, and there are a few other re brands too....whereas QHY and ZWO produce there own cameras....so judge for yourself...👍🏼

• Thanks 1

Are all IMX571 sensors created equal - or are there some that fall below what would be acceptable quality used by reputable astro-cam makers?

I buy a lot of stuff from aliexpress. Although most orders are below €50 in value. I understand that what I buy from there comes with risks, both of product quality and of "getting lost" in transit or non-existent customer returns. Therefore I would never buy anything from them that would cause me grief if it never arrived or was useless.

• Like 1

I’ve seen these but would never dream of buying a precision piece of equipment like this from ali express. Would be ok for aluminium parts like dovetails or rings etc that can’t really be ‘faulty’ but not worth the risk imho, £1000 is too big a gamble. 

Personally I have no qualms about buying kit from 'non-establishment' brands, and I've had nothing but good results from my Altair (Touptek) cameras.

However buying that kind of kit through UK retailers is one thing and buying it from Ali Express is a whole other thing entirely. If there's an issue with it when it arrives, or fails somehow after 3 months, what are your options? It's a gamble which could end up costing much more than the initial saving. 

There's a CN thread here (and a sensor analysis):

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/739387-risingcam-imx571-camera/

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/747251-risingcam-touptekaltair-imx571-sharpcap-sensor-analysis/?hl=%2Brisingcam

Quite intriguing, I might try buying either from them or directly from the Risingcam store in November

N.F.

Edited by nfotis
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nfotis said:

There's a CN thread here (and a sensor analysis):

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/739387-risingcam-imx571-camera/

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/747251-risingcam-touptekaltair-imx571-sharpcap-sensor-analysis/?hl=%2Brisingcam

Quite intriguing, I might try buying either from them or directly from the Risingcam store in November

N.F.

Very interesting....👍🏼