Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TS AZ5 (SkyTee 2) - if you can’t beat them...

Stu

52 minutes ago, Stu said:

@Dave Cherrett where did you get those lovely long slow motion controls? Have been after a pair like that for a long time.

I was after some long super flexible cables for ages even contacted Rowan but they are the wrong size end fittings for my ST 2 so went down the old DIY route again and made my own.

6mm strimmer drive cables off eBay, 6mm internal diameter end fittings cut from stainless steel tube from local metal suppliers, electrical heat shrink & tubing off eBay. They are much better than the Skywatcher offerings that for me are too short and stiff, probably not as good as @Dave Cherrett cables.

Oh and I used the control knobs off the front drive on my ST 2 that I don't use.  

IMG_1064.jpeg

IMG_0589.jpeg

Edited by jock1958
  • Like 1

I've had a Skytee 2 for a year or so and I'm a big fan of this mount. 

At home it has taken over and I almost never use my eq5 (the eq5 is better for tracking but more workload to set up and use) or Porta 2 (the Porta 2 is lighter but is not as rigid).

I'm jealous of the higher spec mounts like the Rowan but actually the Skytee does everything I need.

I would add though I initially bought a second hand example that turned out to be absolutely knackered from use/abuse so it went back and in the end I bought new and have been very happy with it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Just measured and the AZ100 fitting is indeed 8mm. Bit of brass tube should do or even ask Rowan if they cam do a set to fit the Skytee. 6mm.🤔

I asked Derek at Rowan last year about this and they only do cables 420 mm long with 8mm I/D end fittings. Maybe if they have enough enquiries they will make some adapters or cables to suit the ST 2 or other mounts  🤔

Edited by jock1958

6 hours ago, johninderby said:

I remember reading that the main reason the Chinese mounts use thick sticky grease is it compensates for poor tolerances or adjustment and when using a thinner grease you have adjust things properly. 

The reason for such  thick grease is high friction between worm and wheel means the grease has to be thick to be retained against the high forces. That it also makes the motion smooth and fills inaccuracies is just a bonus. Similarly thick grease is hard to find. A machinist friend of mine recommended tallow. It's hardly high revs. 

I am considering getting one of these mounts... How about the vibrations for visual in moderate and high magnification with a 7.9 kg Bresser AR 127l / 1200. Has anyone experience with this configuration or similar? Provide stability enough with a steeled tripod 1.75" despite considerable focal length?

15 minutes ago, Chandra said:

I am considering getting one of these mounts... How about the vibrations for visual in moderate and high magnification with a 7.9 kg Bresser AR 127l / 1200. Has anyone experience with this configuration or similar? Provide stability enough with a steeled tripod 1.75" despite considerable focal length?

A 2” stainless steel tripod may help, I would think the mount will cope ok. @John may be able to comment if he has used his 130mm f9.2 on his ST2, which I believe he has.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

A 2” stainless steel tripod may help, I would think the mount will cope ok. @John may be able to comment if he has used his 130mm f9.2 on his ST2, which I believe he has.

Yes I have used the 130mm F/9.2 on the Skytee. That was on a Berlebach Uni 28 tripod though which adds both height and stability over the stock 1.75 inch tripod. I think a 2 inch steel tripod would be much better than the 1.75 inch one. The difference does not sound much but the 2 inch steel tripods (EQ6 type) are much more solid and taller than the 1.75 inch ones.

My 130mm F/9.2 is a little heavier than the Bresser 127L ( a bit over 9kg) but around the same length. The Skytee II did a decent job of carrying the scope but it was not without some vibration at higher magnifications which could take a few seconds to dampen out. Eventually I decided to move the scope to a heavier duty alt-azimuth mount.

I have owned a Bresser 127L in the past but not when I had a Skytee II mount so I've not tried the exact pairing. On a 2 inch steel tripod I reckon they would work OK together but I have doubts if the 1.75 inch tripod is used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/5/2021 at 19:02, Stu said:

Un trípode de acero inoxidable de 2 ”puede ayudar, creo que el soporte funcionará bien. @John Es posible que pueda comentar si ha usado su 130 mm f9.2 en su ST2, que creo que sí.

On 5/5/2021 at 19:13, John said:

Sí, he usado el 130 mm F / 9.2 en el Skytee. Sin embargo, eso fue en un trípode Berlebach Uni 28, que agrega altura y estabilidad sobre el trípode original de 1,75 pulgadas. Creo que un trípode de acero de 2 pulgadas sería mucho mejor que el de 1,75 pulgadas. La diferencia no suena mucho pero los trípodes de acero de 2 pulgadas (tipo EQ6) son mucho más sólidos y altos que los de 1,75 pulgadas.

Mi 130 mm F / 9.2 es un poco más pesado que el Bresser 127L (un poco más de 9 kg) pero tiene aproximadamente la misma longitud. El Skytee II hizo un trabajo decente al llevar el visor, pero no sin algunas vibraciones a aumentos más altos que podrían tardar unos segundos en amortiguarse. Finalmente, decidí mover el visor a una montura de azimut alternativo más pesada.

He tenido una Bresser 127L en el pasado, pero no cuando tenía una montura Skytee II, así que no he probado la combinación exacta. En un trípode de acero de 2 pulgadas, creo que funcionarían bien juntos, pero tengo dudas si se usa el trípode de 1,75 pulgadas.

Thank you very much for your replies, I will consider your advice, I am still in the process of setting decisions about my configuration best suited to my purposes and possibilities...

• 5 months later...

Hello @Stu, reviving an older thread here but any idea what the weight of the mount is without tripod and scopes etc? Also, how do you store it - atop a tripod or do you have a bag/case? For context I am thinking about perhaps purchasing one to cover my shame of buying an eq6-r pro last year which gets little use due to effort, time, weight, and a lack of power in the right places.

At least then the tripod will get some use, albeit with an adaptor AFAIK.

Edited by badhex

1 hour ago, badhex said:

Hello @Stu, reviving an older thread here but any idea what the weight of the mount is without tripod and scopes etc? Also, how do you store it - atop a tripod or do you have a bag/case? For context I am thinking about perhaps purchasing one to cover my shame of buying an eq6-r pro last year which gets little use due to effort, time, weight, and a lack of power in the right places.

From memory I think it’s about 5kg but not 💯 sure 🤔  I leave mine fitted permanently on top of my AZ4 tripod with scope so I can zip it outside in a one-er if I’m lucky enough to have clear skies! 

Edited by jock1958
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, badhex said:

Yes, quoted at 5kg although to me it felt heavier. I’ve sold mine on now, not because I didn’t like it, I did. I just needed the funds for something else.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jock1958 said:

From memory I think it’s about 5kg but not 💯 sure 🤔  I leave mine fitted permanently on top of my AZ4 tripod with scope so I can zip it outside in a one-er if I’m lucky enough to have clear skies! 

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Yes, quoted at 5kg although to me it felt heavier. I’ve  mine on now, not because I didn’t like it, I did. I just needed the funds for something else.

Thanks both. 5kg would certainly be a lot more manageable than the 17kg of the EQ6-R pro!

• Like 1