NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Not all people of the night are astronomers (plus wind farms are well, kind of windy).

Took the plunge and left the back garden for pastures new this evening - I’m in a Bortle 7 area and all my neighbours have external lights 💡💡💡.

Drove to the nearest darker sky site at Whitelees Windfarm...it’s a good spot which is elevated and far enough away from a lot of light pollution...although tonight the moon was putting out most of the light which limited any DSOs...plus the wind was causing the scope to move around even at lower magnification. Would this be normal?

Plus there were more people coming in and driving past my car and I slowly...I’m not casting any aspersions, but I’m guessing if they were doing the same as me they might have said hello. Not sure I’ll go back. 😂😂😂

so does anybody know of any good sites for observing in Central Scotland?

Edited by AllanK
Additional info
  • Sad 1

Always be safe when you go out to a remote site; especially if you're on your own. If you feel at all uneasy, then pack up and go home. It's just not worth it! 

Edited by Stargazer33
punctuation
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AllanK said:

so does anybody know of any good sites for observing in Central Scotland?

Harperrig reservoir is about 25 miles from you. Not been there myself, but it's supposed to be a regular site for astronomers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stargazer33 said:

Always be safe when you go out to a remote site; especially if you're on your own. If you feel at all uneasy, then pack up and go home. It's just not worth it! 

My wife came with me and sat in the car reading her kindle as it was a concern for us both - especially as this was the first time outwith my or a friend’s garden. I’m just not sure of the message this was putting out 😂😂😂.

13 hours ago, Pixies said:

Harperrig reservoir is about 25 miles from you. Not been there myself, but it's supposed to be a regular site for astronomers.

Just took a daytime reconnaissance run...which is just as well as I may have offended the farmer down the road who was fixing the potholes in his road that I was driving over...😣😣. Anyway, after lots of apologies he very kindly directed me to tight part of the reservoir which was busy (due to it being a nice day) which looks like a good spot for future reference. I’ve also been advised to check out Loudon Hill which I will also do.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AllanK said:

Just took a daytime reconnaissance run...which is just as well as I may have offended the farmer down the road who was fixing the potholes in his road that I was driving over...😣😣. Anyway, after lots of apologies he very kindly directed me to tight part of the reservoir which was busy (due to it being a nice day) which looks like a good spot for future reference. I’ve also been advised to check out Loudon Hill which I will also do.

I've been to Whiteadder reservoir - which is in the wrong direction for you, and probably a bit too far, unfortunately! It's pretty dark though.

The last time I was there, a car/truck drove down the opposite side of the water. I assume it was a gamekeeper, as they had a spotlight that they were shining into the woods opposite. At one point I saw that they were directing the spotlight over towards me on the opposite bank. I shut my eyes (fearing for my dark adaption) and raised my hand to say hi. They drove off and I never saw them again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AllanK said:

My wife came with me and sat in the car reading her kindle as it was a concern for us both - especially as this was the first time outwith my or a friend’s garden. I’m just not sure of the message this was putting out 😂😂😂.

There was an article on the BBC recently about the increase in "night exercise" - people trying to exercise and avoid crowds during lockdown.

My wife has also come with me on the few occasions I have gone to a local location to try and get a southern view of the sky (most recently the Jupiter/Saturn conjunction) - it has never  felt like a particularly relaxing experience though.*

*Edit: To remove ambiguity, it was not the fact my wife was there that made less relaxing!

Edited by Shimrod
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, AllanK said:

One of the Central Scotland groups has meetings at Harperrig, so, it is presumable a good location.

On 24/04/2021 at 23:29, AllanK said:

...plus the wind was causing the scope to move around even at lower magnification. Would this be normal?

What is the scope and mount?

Generally, I assume there will me movement once it gets to 11-20mph

2 hours ago, iapa said:

What is the scope and mount?

Generally, I assume there will me movement once it gets to 11-20mph

It was stronger than that I think. It’s a Celestron C5 on a Starwave Mini-AZ Mount.

There is a nice handy little car park at the foot of Tinto Hill which would be good for parking up and nice ground to set up on.  The skies should certainly be better than around Motherwell and not too far to drive.   The hill itself may obscure some of the sky though; I think it's one of those things that may need a recce.  If you really want dark - head down on the back roads towards Moffat or Wanlockhead in the leadhills - lots of nooks and crannies to explore there , some tracks up the hills if you are adventurous . Definitely one for a daytime recce  - be careful in winter (highest village in Scotland so weather can be grim while otherwise tropical in Motherwell) . Do you remember the night time sky around Lanarkshire when the Craig was still operating?  I used to be a regular driver on the M74 and coming home northbound I could swear I could pick up the orange glow of the coke ovens opening as far as Lockerbie :) 

Tinto Hill car park  https://w3w.co/mission.tomb.maddening

Wanlockhead (lead hills    https://w3w.co/flagpole.presides.lightens

Jim 

16 minutes ago, saac said:

There is a nice handy little car park at the foot of Tinto Hill which would be good for parking up and nice ground to set up on.  The skies should certainly be better than around Motherwell and not too far to drive.   The hill itself may obscure some of the sky though; I think it's one of those things that may need a recce.  If you really want dark - head down on the back roads towards Moffat or Wanlockhead in the leadhills - lots of nooks and crannies to explore there , some tracks up the hills if you are adventurous . Definitely one for a daytime recce  - be careful in winter (highest village in Scotland so weather can be grim while otherwise tropical in Motherwell) . Do you remember the night time sky around Lanarkshire when the Craig was still operating?  I used to be a regular driver on the M74 and coming home northbound I could swear I could pick up the orange glow of the coke ovens opening as far as Lockerbie :) 

Tinto Hill car park  https://w3w.co/mission.tomb.maddening

Wanlockhead (lead hills   https://w3w.co/flagpole.presides.lightens

Jim 

Those are a couple of good suggestions. I know Tinto area well from cycling (a shame the tearoom won’t be open of an evening for a coffee and a scone) and, in happier times my commute took me to both Sanquhar and Thornhill so the Leadhills and Wanlockhead make sense and they’re not far off the motorway. Need to check out these and Loudon Hill and will definitely do a daylight recce after yesterday’s hijinks.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AllanK said:

Those are a couple of good suggestions. I know Tinto area well from cycling (a shame the tearoom won’t be open of an evening for a coffee and a scone)

That may be something that could be open to “negotiation” depending on the number visiting.

I honestly don't like going out, I don't drive and rely on my Mam to take me to a site, She doesn't like cold, I tell her to wrap up more than you should(she doesn't, starts shivering almost instantly, I tell her I want to view a couple of objects[that means imaging an hour on each ;) , end up doing 2 thirds of one because I took too long to setup because location is different and I'm nervous and forgetful]). We've been to 3 different places, and for how secluded the places are, Kielder forest etc there's still WAAAY too many people driving up and down the roads! Incredibly annoying, I pretty much gave up on going somewhere.