NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader Morpheus range - General chat

2 hours ago, JOC said:

I am not a very regular observer and def. not knowledgeable about the intricacies of EP's.  All I know is I wear glasses, I have significant short sightedness, very significant astigmatism, and also take a touch of prism in my prescription lenses.  I own all the Morpheus EP's and use them in my 200P.  I have no problems looking down any of them with my glasses on.  FWIW I have also never had problems observing without my glasses on as the focus of the EP seems to do outdo the need for most of the correction I get from my glasses.  However, I do tend to keep my specs on at the EP as it saves the faff of removing them.  What I have noticed is that are not too heavy.  The 200P drive mechanism (I have the star finder drive thingy in mine) doesn't seem to like too much weight and they seem to work well.  The cheapest way of buying them is to bide your time with the SGL classifieds.  I bought every single one of mine second-hand in mint condition!  FWIW they look lovely in a box too!

Morpheii.jpg

Great looking set! If was ever to buy a full set of anything it would be the Morphs for definite, and maybe the Pentax XWs :) 

• Thanks 1

I like them.  I've got a box of mismatched too - you can see my signature, but I rather coveted a box of matching EP's (having seen all the pictures and I also have a thing about 'sets of things') of decent quality so that when I did decide there was something I wanted to see I had a good experience.  Given that I am not as dedicated observer as many of you here, there was no way I was going to run to a box of green and black.  I had hands on a G&B plossl at one point, but it had so little eye relief I found it unusable.  When I saw the first one (I think it was the 17.5) secondhand I thought 'why not?' then I found out that they were getting a good write up and was pleased with my purchase and the views it got.  Then when second one came up I got in quick and after that no-one on SGL got a look in on any I didn't have until I had the lot!   I think they are a good to excellent moderate purchase for the casual observer who wants something decent to use, but can't justify the Green and Black prices.  TBH, even if I won the lottery I don't think I would change what I have at the moment.  I don't use the telescope enough, but it is nice to have a reasonably decent full set of EP's.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JOC said:

I like them.  I've got a box of mismatched too - you can see my signature, but I rather coveted a box of matching EP's (having seen all the pictures and I also have a thing about 'sets of things') of decent quality so that when I did decide there was something I wanted to see I had a good experience.  Given that I am not as dedicated observer as many of you here, there was no way I was going to run to a box of green and black.  I had hands on a G&B plossl at one point, but it had so little eye relief I found it unusable.  When I saw the first one (I think it was the 17.5) secondhand I thought 'why not?' then I found out that they were getting a good write up and was pleased with my purchase and the views it got.  Then when second one came up I got in quick and after that no-one on SGL got a look in on any I didn't have until I had the lot!   I think they are a good to excellent moderate purchase for the casual observer who wants something decent to use, but can't justify the Green and Black prices.  TBH, even if I won the lottery I don't think I would change what I have at the moment.  I don't use the telescope enough, but it is nice to have a reasonably decent full set of EP's.

I wholeheartedly agree. I rashly purchased a Pan 41 a few years ago but it's so damn huge it rarely gets a look in. The morphs occupy a fantastic niche of well priced (even if a touch more expensive these days), optically excellent, and a decent size and weight—all important points for most astronomers! 

Edited by badhex
  • Like 3

I tried to buy mine secondhand and placed a wanted ad in the classifieds. I managed to buy three of them this way all in immaculate condition. I however became impatient and bought the other three new. I then added the designated case for them. All in all it was money well spent.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I tried to buy mine secondhand and placed a wanted ad in the classifieds. I managed to buy three of them this way all in immaculate condition. I however became impatient and bought the other three new. I then added the designated case for them. All in all it was money well spent.

About the only telescope item I bought new was my 8" Dob.  Everything else was secondhand with very few exceptions.  I don't think they are a poor investment - surely the Morpheus get such good reviews that if well looked after they will surely always fetch a similar rate if I needed to realise the cash.  Esp. as I'd have a whole set to sell!  FWIW I don't think I am that bothered by exactly what the pupil size or eye relief is on any EP.  I can either see through it and keep it or can't see through it and sell it.  I can see through all the Morpheus and so I keep them and am a happy bunny!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

I should have said if you like the Morph 17.5 so much, then you should take it, Joe. I just depends on how tight you are on space.

BTW on space, if air travel I stick to 1.25-inch kit for space and weight reasons.

What about including a white light solar filter.

I too wondered about the minimum Morph content would mean we are off track on the thread. But at least @JOC is helping by posting that pic of her Morphs.

Talking morph or not, You are more than welcome here @JeremyS ha! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JOC said:

I am not a very regular observer and def. not knowledgeable about the intricacies of EP's.  All I know is I wear glasses, I have significant short sightedness, very significant astigmatism, and also take a touch of prism in my prescription lenses.  I own all the Morpheus EP's and use them in my 200P.  I have no problems looking down any of them with my glasses on.  FWIW I have also never had problems observing without my glasses on as the focus of the EP seems to do outdo the need for most of the correction I get from my glasses.  However, I do tend to keep my specs on at the EP as it saves the faff of removing them.  What I have noticed is that are not too heavy.  The 200P drive mechanism (I have the star finder drive thingy in mine) doesn't seem to like too much weight and they seem to work well.  The cheapest way of buying them is to bide your time with the SGL classifieds.  I bought every single one of mine second-hand in mint condition!  FWIW they look lovely in a box too!

Morpheii.jpg

Great collecton including a cheeky Pentax chucked in for good measure.

A great idea regarding the second hand market, I am keeping my eyes open for the elusive 12.5mm - trouble is the morphs are so good they dont come up to often.

• Like 2

I just tried my 14mm with my newly acquired F7 doublet during the day focusing on a far off tree. It suffered from very bad yellow/red peripheral colour right at the edges of view like the field edge was ringed in yellow then red, the colour temperature was also yellow all over. None of my other eyepieces were like this and presented a cool white tone. Is this common with the 14? It is currently overcast.

Edited by Elp
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Elp said:

I just tried my 14mm with my newly acquired F7 doublet during the day focusing on a far off tree. It suffered from very bad yellow/red peripheral colour right at the edges of view like the field edge was ringed in yellow then red, the colour temperature was also yellow all over. None of my other eyepieces were like this and presented a cool white tone. Is this common with the 14? It is currently overcast.

can you show a good clear photo or two as an example ?

3 minutes ago, JOC said:

If you still have the old telescope it maybe replaced?  You could try it in that?

I'll reserve judgement until I try it at night. But my Z61 shows the same, I assume some of it is due to the scope speeds. Pictures shortly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Back on track now then?

907D59CA-17D8-4E76-ACCD-BC3E349515FF.thumb.jpeg.1e41958b60d83a713efb67aff753c292.jpeg

I also meant to say - many people say the 30mm UFF is like the adoptive big brother in the Morpheus line in many ways. I think someone said the same earlier in the thread! When I finally have more money to spend on astro gear it's probably my first purchase.

Edited by badhex
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

can you show a good clear photo or two as an example ?

Photos below, it was the same in my Z61 doublet as in my Starfield too. Going down to 10mm (XW) and even 6.7mm (ES) back to cool white again. The 14mm Morpheus is the only eyepiece I've ever used which shows this yellow colour tone which is rather off-putting. The Morpheus provides a sharp view but it's awash with a yellow tint like you're looking through a sepia filter or something, not natural colour at all.

DSC_0004_BURST202308181543056772.thumb.JPG.9d1c38bdffaa69156e1ee84a3f2032c6.JPG

DSC_0023_BURST202308181543458812.thumb.JPG.bf40eabadeaa322bd8d3ec2d6cb1a64c.JPG

DSC_0003_BURST202308181538306822.thumb.JPG.1de3ae0683c860b9852d98db2d8d2ba1.JPG

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elp said:

Photos below, it was the same in my Z61 doublet as in my Starfield too. Going down to 10mm (XW) and even 6.7mm (ES) back to cool white again. The 14mm Morpheus is the only eyepiece I've ever used which shows this yellow colour tone which is rather off-putting. 

DSC_0018_BURST202308181543458812.thumb.JPG.a563cc0b98e1f6d7591a1b1f6e306022.JPG

DSC_0023_BURST202308181543458812.thumb.JPG.bf40eabadeaa322bd8d3ec2d6cb1a64c.JPG

DSC_0003_BURST202308181538306822.thumb.JPG.1de3ae0683c860b9852d98db2d8d2ba1.JPG

This might be a stupid question and you may already have thought of this, but are you seeing that same restriction in the field of view when looking through it, or is that a result of trying to photograph it? I ask, because this could be related to eye placement i.e. being too close to the eye lens. Are you seeing the view all the way to the edge of the field stop, and if so, is this colour tinge still happening at the field stop?

The M43 extension ring might help here. You could try attaching the extension ring between the eyecup like in the below image to see if this helps. I cannot get great eye placement on my morphs without the rings. Apologies if you've already thought of or tried this!

20230812_175632.thumb.jpg.6c8adad445d1acf9da1dca597f405ea1.jpg

The edge ring was present wherever I put my eye, obviously if it's closest to the eyepiece it's less noticeable as it moves to the edge of my vision, the camera exhibited exactly the same behaviour as I was taking the images. But you'll also notice from the Morpheus photo the image is awash, my eye experienced exactly the same when putting it to eyepiece, and the eye needed to adjust slightly to the brightness (environmental illumination was consistent throughout). All the other eyepieces didn't do this.

After the eye adapting the centre contrast equalises somewhat like this:

DSC_0043_BURST202308181544214582.thumb.JPG.ae30d2832e3a5158d47cd7d32616cf0f.JPG

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

It's sharp, but it takes a second or two for either eye to adjust to what it's seeing. In any of my other eyepieces I can immediately see. Very odd. Need to try it on the moon or something.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elp said:

It's sharp, but it takes a second or two for either eye to adjust to what it's seeing. In any of my other eyepieces I can immediately see. Very odd. Need to try it on the moon or something.

I can't speak for the 14mm specifically as I don't own it, but the issues described certainly don't happen for me with the 17.5mm or 4.5mm in any of my scopes. Certainly odd, but yes I'd definitely try it under the stars and see how you get on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elp said:

Photos below, it was the same in my Z61 doublet as in my Starfield too. Going down to 10mm (XW) and even 6.7mm (ES) back to cool white again. The 14mm Morpheus is the only eyepiece I've ever used which shows this yellow colour tone which is rather off-putting. The Morpheus provides a sharp view but it's awash with a yellow tint like you're looking through a sepia filter or something, not natural colour at all.

That seems most odd.  Have you given the lens a clean and checked it doesn't have anything like a protective sticky layer applied anywhere?

• Like 1

I tell you what I've just re-read the OP of this thread and it jolted a thought chain - it looks like something vignetting the field of view.  Is that possible within the configuration of the scope and the placement of the EP?

Edited by JOC
  • Like 1

I wouldn't have thought so, all my eyepieces are close to being parfocal even though they're different brands.

Reading up on it I believe is has got to do with eye placement and my issue might be known as "the ring of fire".

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Elp said:

The edge ring was present wherever I put my eye, obviously if it's closest to the eyepiece it's less noticeable as it moves to the edge of my vision, the camera exhibited exactly the same behaviour as I was taking the images. But you'll also notice from the Morpheus photo the image is awash, my eye experienced exactly the same when putting it to eyepiece, and the eye needed to adjust slightly to the brightness (environmental illumination was consistent throughout). All the other eyepieces didn't do this.

After the eye adapting the centre contrast equalises somewhat like this:

DSC_0043_BURST202308181544214582.thumb.JPG.ae30d2832e3a5158d47cd7d32616cf0f.JPG

Maybe replacing and trying one more Morph 14 to confirm ?

26 minutes ago, Elp said:

I wouldn't have thought so, all my eyepieces are close to being parfocal even though they're different brands.

Reading up on it I believe is has got to do with eye placement and my issue might be known as "the ring of fire".

Maybe see if the M43 ring helps; it should at least help keep your eye in the same place and give you an idea of best placement, and best of all it's free 😊