SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader Morpheus range - General chat

Not trying to hijack but I put together a 4 set of Celestron Ultima Edge eps to compliment my full set of Morpheus, save for the 14mm. They are about the same price but in performance they function a step or so below the Morpheus, in my opinion. I did that because I like to try out and compare astro gear, its part of my enjoyment, my challenge.

• Like 3

I have the full set of Baader Morpheus eyepieces and I have stopped looking for anything better. I find them sharp and clear and most of all really comfortable to use. The 17.5mm, 9mm and the 6.5mm stand out slightly over the other three IMO. I personally wouldn’t part with any of them.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

I don't know if it has been mentioned but the 6.5 Morph is no slouch either, check out its reviews.

I did have the 6.5 out for a short period last night. It provides me with a magnification of x230 in my 300p - A nice mid range power, It gave some great views of Vega & Arcturus,  I did find it to be a little blurry which I put down to my scope needing a collimation. The ep itself is certainly a great performer.

The morphs certainly have a huge viewing "window" and are extremely comfortable to use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I have the full set of Baader Morpheus eyepieces and I have stopped looking for anything better. I find them sharp and clear and most of all really comfortable to use. The 17.5mm, 9mm and the 6.5mm stand out slightly over the other three IMO. I personally wouldn’t part with any of them.

I must admit, I am also content with the Morpheus range, I no longer feel the need to chage to something different. I will at some point add the final 12.5mm to my collection!

Edited by Barry-W-Fenner
  • Like 3

I bought my first Ultima Edge, 15mm, because I wanted an eyepiece exactly half way between my Morph 17.5 - 12.5 mm eps. thus I skipped the 14mm and then bought several more Edges after that.

40 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

Not trying to hijack but I put together a 4 set of Celestron Ultima Edge eps to compliment my full set of Morpheus, save for the 14mm. They are about the same price but in performance they function a step or so below the Morpheus, in my opinion. I did that because I like to try out and compare astro gear, its part of my enjoyment, my challenge.

Except for the 30mm UFF/Edge, which is world-class.  It's in a different category than the other UFFs.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

I bought my first Ultima Edge, 15mm, because I wanted an eyepiece exactly half way between my Morph 17.5 - 12.5 mm eps. thus I skipped the 14mm and then bought several more Edges after that.

Exactly halfway between, magnification-wise, is a 14.58mm focal length.  That makes either 14mm or 15mm acceptable as an in between.

49 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

Not trying to hijack but I put together a 4 set of Celestron Ultima Edge eps to compliment my full set of Morpheus, save for the 14mm. They are about the same price but in performance they function a step or so below the Morpheus, in my opinion.

There is no Morpheus to compete with the 24mm UFF (Ultima Edge) with a 27mm+ field stop for widest field in a 1.25" eyepiece.  The 17.5mm Morpheus with a 23.55mm field stop diameter is apparently as far as they can push that design.  I won't argue that the 24mm UFF is perfect edge to edge (it isn't), but it's way better than any other long eye relief SWA class eyepiece at 24mm to 26mm in a 1.25" fitting.

As @Don Pensack said above, the 30mm UFF has no peer, Morpheus or otherwise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, badhex said:

I wonder if anyone has done a shootout between the two. @Louis DI can't remember if you own both (or either) of those EPs? 

I only have the 9mm and 14mm Morpheus eyepieces.  I've thought about getting the 17.5mm Morpheus, but it's hard to justify it when I already have a 17mm ES-92, 17mm Nagler T4, and 17mm AT AF70.  That, and I tend to skip over that focal length.  The 12.5mm APM Hi-FW I have has a 19.8mm field stop diameter and more magnification, so I rarely feel the need for a slight step up in true field size and decrease in magnification that would be the 17.5mm Morpheus.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Louis D said:

There is no Morpheus to compete with the 24mm UFF (Ultima Edge) with a 27mm+ field stop for widest field in a 1.25" eyepiece.  The 17.5mm Morpheus with a 23.55mm field stop diameter is apparently as far as they can push that design.  I won't argue that the 24mm UFF is perfect edge to edge (it isn't), but it's way better than any other long eye relief SWA class eyepiece at 24mm to 26mm in a 1.25" fitting.

As @Don Pensack said above, the 30mm UFF has no peer, Morpheus or otherwise.

One clarification: the measured field stop in the 17.5mm Morpheus is 21.75mm and the apparent field 72°.

That's a case where the eyepiece that was actually released, 3 years after the other focal lengths, was different than what was planned.

1 minute ago, Don Pensack said:

One clarification: the measured field stop in the 17.5mm Morpheus is 21.75mm and the apparent field 72°.

That's a case where the eyepiece that was actually released, 3 years after the other focal lengths, was different than what was planned.

Well, then the difference in measured field stops between it and the APM Hi-FW is even less at just 2mm.

49 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

Exactly halfway between, magnification-wise, is a 14.58mm focal length.  That makes either 14mm or 15mm acceptable as an in between.

I really don't care, I gave my micrometer away years ago. Now I use close enough !

Edited by LDW1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have noticed when it comes to eyepieces on this site and CN that a half intelligent astronomer should never, ever consider an eyepiece, no matter the quality,  without checking first with the so called eyepiece experts even if it is our money to spend ! I miss that point every time, darn !  OH well, lol  !   PS:  You can teach some astronomers some of the time but you can't teach old .......... time !

Edited by LDW1

8 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

I have noticed when it comes to eyepieces on this site and CN that a half intelligent astronomer should never, ever consider an eyepiece, no matter the quality,  without checking first with the so called eyepiece experts even if it is our money to spend ! I miss that point every time, darn !  OH well, lol  !   PS:  You can teach some astronomers some of the time but you can't teach old .......... time !

I know I don't make a purchase until there is a certain amount of positive feedback from folks who know what to look for in eyepieces and report accordingly.  Early on, I made some boneheaded eyepiece choices by not doing my due diligence first and then weighing the pros and cons.

A recent example for me would be a desire to purchase the 23mm Pentax XW-85 to replace my 22mm Nagler T4, but many folks have reported that it is tight to use with eyeglasses, so I've held off.

• Like 2

I have the 6.5, 9, 12.5 and 17.5mm Morphs. They are far and away the best EPs I've ever bought, so like several others, I've stopped lusting after more expensive alternatives. The various TV ranges disqualify themselves for me because of either price, FOV or eye relief problems.

I find the Morphs completely 'transparent' 😆 in the sense that they don't hinder my eye in any way and have no discernable aberrations. I also own a couple of Pentax XWs (5 and 14mm) and while they're very good, the Morphs have an x factor I can't explain.

I also have the Celestron Ultima Edge 30mm, which is just as good.

So I've gone from an inveterate EP purchaser to zero buys of late.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2.5 years and 17 pages of posts later and I still have yet to try a Morpheus of any focal length 🙄

The 14mm and 9mm would fit into my 1.25 inch set quite well. But would the 14mm oust my 14mm Delos I wonder :icon_scratch:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

The 14mm and 9mm would fit into my 1.25 inch set quite well. But would the 14mm oust my 14mm Delos I wonder 

It ousted my 14mm Pentax XL mostly because it is wider and has less field curvature while being as sharp and contrasty across the same field.  When refocused, the edge of the Pentax is sharper than the significantly wider Morpheus's edge.  It was a tough choice, but I went for the Morpheus.  I would think the 14mm Delos would put up a tougher fight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Louis D said:

I know I don't make a purchase until there is a certain amount of positive feedback from folks who know what to look for in eyepieces and report accordingly.  Early on, I made some boneheaded eyepiece choices by not doing my due diligence first and then weighing the pros and cons.

A recent example for me would be a desire to purchase the 23mm Pentax XW-85 to replace my 22mm Nagler T4, but many folks have reported that it is tight to use with eyeglasses, so I've held off.

It looks like your eyeglasses control everything, mine don't, those that you read / listen to may not be right in their accessments. There are always a few grains of salt with all of us, I am lucky I have never made a bad decision yet, in my world, never had to kick myself in the *ss. But then again I do a lot of research, weigh all the pros and cons then decide, many don't they just listen to others like robots, its a shame !  Really !

4 hours ago, cajen2 said:

I have the 6.5, 9, 12.5 and 17.5mm Morphs. They are far and away the best EPs I've ever bought, so like several others, I've stopped lusting after more expensive alternatives. The various TV ranges disqualify themselves for me because of either price, FOV or eye relief problems.

I find the Morphs completely 'transparent' 😆 in the sense that they don't hinder my eye in any way and have no discernable aberrations. I also own a couple of Pentax XWs (5 and 14mm) and while they're very good, the Morphs have an x factor I can't explain.

I also have the Celestron Ultima Edge 30mm, which is just as good.

So I've gone from an inveterate EP purchaser to zero buys of late.

I feel the same about my 30 Edge !

6 hours ago, LDW1 said:

This has been a nice gentle thread so far and it would be a shame for it to become otherwise. To be fair I think many of us, half intelligent or otherwise, genuinely do seek advice and real, practical feedback from others more experienced, and at the very least those who have actually used an EP to give some feedback. YMMV as they say, but I don't personally share the observation that you are alluding to. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John said:

2.5 years and 17 pages of posts later and I still have yet to try a Morpheus of any focal length 🙄

The 14mm and 9mm would fit into my 1.25 inch set quite well. But would the 14mm oust my 14mm Delos I wonder :icon_scratch:

I would really love to hear your thoughts on the Morpheus series, @John

Perhaps some kind souls might be able to lend you some to review? I'd be happy to lend you my 17.5mm if we lived close enough for me to pop over, or perhaps some sort of postal loan could be arranged? 

6 hours ago, John said:

If you don't mind a little trek up to Yate (I don't know whereabouts in N. Somerset you are), you'd very welcome to try any or all of mine.

I don't know if you're going to Astrocamp but I'll be there too with my EP case!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, John said:

The only Baader i have ever seen in the wild is the variable.  For whatever reason they are not popular in my neck of the woods 

3 hours ago, LDW1 said:

It looks like your eyeglasses control everything, mine don't

If you had 2.0+ diopters of astigmatism in your eyes as I do, you'd be in the same position as me unless you wore toric contacts at the eyepiece or managed to get on with Dioptrx.  As it is, the view of stars in eyepieces with a 1mm or larger exit pupil look like star bursts to me.  This pretty much negates having finely figured optics.

• Like 3