SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader Morpheus range - General chat

3 hours ago, Elp said:

I wouldn't have thought so, all my eyepieces are close to being parfocal even though they're different brands.

Reading up on it I believe is has got to do with eye placement and my issue might be known as "the ring of fire".

Definitely not ring of fire.  You get a rainbow effect when photographing it.  Below, see how the ES-82 30mm (6th row, second from left) is exhibiting classic CAEP (rainbow ring) but no SAEP (black ring), and the Meade MWA 26mm (5th row, far left) shows massive SAEP and in the second image from the left shows slight CAEP with the camera pulled back from the exit pupil midpoint to defeat SAEP.

The Morpheus 14mm (second row, second from left) has barely any SAEP and no CAEP at all.  There's also no obvious color cast relative to other eyepieces not exhibiting either SAEP or CAEP.  Strong SAEP really throws off my camera's auto white balance, making things more yellow.  The Morph 14mm also shows a nice, sharp field stop.

I'm not doubting what you're seeing, it's just that I don't see the same thing in my copy of the eyepiece.  Perhaps yours is faulty/defective in some manner?  How long have you had it?  Did you buy it second hand?  Was it always this way?

831159865_SAEPFOVComparison4a.thumb.jpg.ecab8184508c4c64726cd981bce79058.jpg

• Like 2

Just bought it new. It's just odd that I've had all sorts of (usually) plossl type design eyepieces across budget and now premium, none have ever had a yellow/warm tint to the view, absolutely zero until now. I need to test it a bit more.

OK guys, the issue with the 14 Morpheus could be the same issue with the 31mm Nagler, 30mm ES 82°, so Pentax, etc.

The eyepiece was not designed for daylight observing if that is the case.  Nor were those others.

At night the coloration is invisible.

It is called "Chromatic Aberration of the Exit Pupil"(CAEP), or "Ring of Fire".   Louis D here on SGL has many pictures of it.

It simply means that not all colors are fully corrected at the exit pupil.

It's not due to being too close or too far away from the eyepiece.

If you bought the eyepiece for daylight use, you simply bought the wrong eyepiece.

If you bought it for nighttime use, you will like the eyepiece.

The one possible time you might see it at night is with the Moon entering that zone at the edge of the eyepiece.

However, as mentioned below, I tried the 14mm in my 102mm f/7 triplet apo on some land targets just now, and though there is a thin blue ring right at the field stop, I did not see any Ring of Fire issue--no CAEP.

So I wonder if there is an interaction between the doublet lens and the eyepiece, or that the eyepiece is wide enough to display lateral CA from the objective lens.  I don't know, but the results posted by Elp

are completely different that what I just saw.  Is it possible the field lens is installed backwards?  Is it possible the eyepiece is defective in some way or has been assembled incorrectly?

I couldn't say without comparing it with another sample of the same eyepiece.

Edited by Don Pensack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Definitely not ring of fire.  You get a rainbow effect when photographing it.  Below, see how the ES-82 30mm (6th row, second from left) is exhibiting classic CAEP (rainbow ring) but no SAEP (black ring), and the Meade MWA 26mm (5th row, far left) shows massive SAEP and in the second image from the left shows slight CAEP with the camera pulled back from the exit pupil midpoint to defeat SAEP.

The Morpheus 14mm (second row, second from left) has barely any SAEP and no CAEP at all.  There's also no obvious color cast relative to other eyepieces not exhibiting either SAEP or CAEP.  Strong SAEP really throws off my camera's auto white balance, making things more yellow.  The Morph 14mm also shows a nice, sharp field stop.

I'm not doubting what you're seeing, it's just that I don't see the same thing in my copy of the eyepiece.  Perhaps yours is faulty/defective in some manner?  How long have you had it?  Did you buy it second hand?  Was it always this way?

831159865_SAEPFOVComparison4a.thumb.jpg.ecab8184508c4c64726cd981bce79058.jpg

Louis, I see it quite well in your image of the 14mm Morpheus, the 14mm Pentax XL, the ES 17mm 92°.  It's not as strong as some others, but it's there in your images.

However, I just tried my 14mm in my 102mm f/7 triplet and saw no CAEP.  So I suspect it might be due to how the eyepiece handles the CA of the doublet image.

How or why, I cannot say without further research.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Fraunhoffer said:

Question - related to looking after my purse.
I assume there are no issues using a Barlow with a Morph ?
Might look a bit strange towering on top of a barlow I suppose, but optically ?

Thx

I have the Baader 2.25 barlow, Naturally it attaches perfectly to the morpheus ep range.

I currently have it up for sale as I have used it once.

No issues with the performance, I am just  happy with the magnification my ep range provides and have never needed to use the barlow.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Fraunhoffer said:

Question - related to looking after my purse.
I assume there are no issues using a Barlow with a Morph ?
Might look a bit strange towering on top of a barlow I suppose, but optically ?

Thx

I've barlowed the 17.5mm a number of times and it has no issues whatsoever, aside from looking a bit weird on top of a 1.25". Works very well in a 2" Barlow and looks less weird 😂

I have even—in a moment of "let's just see what happens"—Barlowed the 4.5mm giving me 397x on the moon in a 102mm scope, with surprisingly good results. Naturally it must have been a rare fluke of good conditions but I took a shaky handheld phone pic because I was very surprised at how sharp bit was! 

1892636219_20220212_2112242.thumb.jpg.c883a25cc914b4a3ecaff86f6e56be06.jpg

Edited by badhex
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Thats good to hear.

How did you find the EP? Did  you enjoy the views!

It was okay, but as expected there was minor difference in framing from my XW20 and XW10 as the 14 sits in between, the hard eyecups on the Pentax are also preferred. The logic was I could use the LER of the 14 barlowed and replace my ES 6.7, but the ES isn't too bad to use as now it's the only one I need to remove my glasses for. If I didn't have the Pentax's the 14 would have been one of my best and at less the RRP of the XWs you cant go wrong.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1