Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Montes Caucasus, Copernicus & Ptolemaeus (reprocess)

CraigT82

Have missed out on the recent run of clear skies due to work commitments so have consoled myself with going over old data to see what improvements can be had.

First is Montes Caucasus region with craters Aristoteles and Eudoxus. 8 75" Fullerscope and Altair gpcam 290m, red filter used as seeing was poor.

Next is Ptolemaeus region, again with Fullerscope but with Altair 224c (desaturated).

Last is Copernicus, again with Fullerscope, Altair 290m and green filter. Good seeing for this one. (Quite a heavy crop around the crater).

Cheers

PSX_20210410_123104.jpg

PSX_20210410_122513.jpg

PSX_20210410_122752.jpg

• Like 6

Lovely data Craig your making me itch to do hi res again. Got to wait for a pandemic delivery now.

Watch the gamma or brightness to compensate for dark images it can get a bit tonally whited out.  Dynamically flat. Thats some lovely hi res captures there though Craig. your Newt rocks for sure

• Thanks 1

Thanks Neil. I'm sure your 10" will be up and running soon.

Yes I know what you mean about the washed out look... The Copernicus image is suffering with this but it was looking harsh and I felt I had to dial back on the contrast.

I really need to write down a processing workflow and stick to it for consistent images, as currently I just wing it and see what works which leads to images looking nothing like each other. 

My favourite out of these three, aesthetically speaking, is the Montes Caucasus one, which is ironic as that was captured under the worse seeing of them all! 

4 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Thanks Neil. I'm sure your 10" will be up and running soon.

Yes I know what you mean about the washed out look... The Copernicus image is suffering with this but it was looking harsh and I felt I had to dial back on the contrast.

I really need to write down a processing workflow and stick to it for consistent images, as currently I just wing it and see what works which leads to images looking nothing like each other. 

My favourite out of these three, aesthetically speaking, is the Montes Caucasus one, which is ironic as that was captured under the worse seeing of them all! 

Ive been winging it for years.  Used to hate burnout or clipping religiously. Lately ive come to realize for the most dynamic brightness levels a little bit of clipping on certain craters in sunlight can not really be avoided. If you drop the histogram to a level where there is zero clipping in direct sunlight craters. The dynamic range will suffer. As of april 2021. I am now of the opinion that clipping should be tolerated ( within reason ) to allow a full dynamic range across the lunar surface. Its a change from my previous position of avoiding clipping so religiously. Hope to show what i mean when i get going proper in about 6 weeks time. But next chance you get Craig, try some shots allowing direct sunlight crater rims to clip, ever so slightly. (And i mean slightly ) For the reason of increasing the dynamic range in areas that are not fully illuminated. You should see your images not only not too dark. (under exposed) But the vitality brightness levels, and dynamic range will look a lot more inspiring to your eye. Try see if you agree. Just trying to share with you my experiance and current position on balance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great work Craig!  I am quite jealous of you lot that have the big guns and capitalize on them so well.  Copernicus details are fabulous.

For the record...  in spite of a habit of over a year now of meticulously saving screen caps of my settings used in processing I usually find "winging it" to be my workflow.  

Such an engaging, subjective and ever evolving thing I find....  that is - processing, and the "look" we want to achieve from our individual work. 

Clear skies!  (And the time to enjoy 😉)

Mike

Edited by WestCoastCannuck
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mike. It is hard to beat a long newt for this kind of work. Not easy to keep them pointed in the right direction though... need a beefy mount! 

With the Copernicus image I think I'm getting the absolute best out of the scope there (having measured the smallest visible features in LROC map viewer, I don't think it could capture any smaller).

I guess that having a set processing workflow I would need consistent data quality for that to work, and I certainly don't get consistent data yet... maybe with a bit more experience and more consistent skies!