Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR and Intervalometer

Hi all

I'm hoping I explain this correctly. 

I have started using an intervalometer with my canon 1100D.

I set the intervalometer up as below:

1) delay: 5 second

2) exposure time: 1 minute

3) interval time: 2 second

4) number of shots: 30

5) no beep

6) camera on bulb

When I press start I hear the shutter open, but don't hear it close until the final shot has been taken. The intervalometer indication light changes from red to green dependent on whether it's taking shot or on interval. 

I then connect my camera to my laptop via the micro USB. 

But when I open to look it only shows one image and when I try to open the image it's just a white screen. 

I know I have all my camera settings correct. 

I tried the same on only 2 shots and still only get one image. 

Questions:

1) should the shutter close and reopen for each shot? 

2)  is there a reason I am only getting one image

3) any ideas on the white screen issue? 

When I use the intervalometer manually set as above but with the shot set to 1 and with me pressing start each time it works fine. 

Forgot to mention, the exposure countdown can be seen on the camera screen and number of shots counts down on intervalometer. 

Edited by Portech7
Adding info

I had this too when I started using an intervalometer - try removing the initial 5s delay and increasing the interval time.  That seemed to do the trick for me. 

I can't remember whether it was the delay or the interval time, I suspect the interval time I guess it needs to be long enough to allow the shutter to close and then open again. I have my interval at 3s.

• Thanks 1

I have two intervalometers. They're both different so the best thing is to experiment.

Your initial delay is for everything to settle down and stop vibrating.

Next will be your exposure then the delay between exposures, then the count down through the exposures.

One of my intervalometers wants me to set a time of 'x' seconds between each exposure - I normally set this as 8 seconds that gives the camera time to download/save the image.

The other intervalometer wants me to set an exposure time (say 60 seconds) but when I set the delay between exposures it wants me to enter the delay value (say 8 secoonds as above) plus the exposure! so I have to set a delay of 68 seconds to get an 8 second delay after the exposure.

Try different settings in daylight so you can see/hear what's happening. My guess is that your 2 seconds is not long enough for the camera to have finished saving one exposure befoore starting the next.

1 hour ago, Portech7 said:

Hi all

I'm hoping I explain this correctly. 

I have started using an intervalometer with my canon 1100D.

I set the intervalometer up as below:

1) delay: 5 second

2) exposure time: 1 minute

3) interval time: 2 second

On my intervalometer (Viltrox MC-C1) the interval timer starts from the beginning of the exposure, not the end of it. So your interval needs to be a few seconds longer than the exposure time (to allow the image to be written to the card). If you are shooting RAW the files are bigger and so take a little longer to be written. So if your exposure time is 1 minute, you should set your interval to, say, 1m 5s. Or maybe to be super safe, 1m 10s

Edited by StuartT

3 hours ago, StuartT said:

On my intervalometer (Viltrox MC-C1) the interval timer starts from the beginning of the exposure, not the end of it. So your interval needs to be a few seconds longer than the exposure time (to allow the image to be written to the card). If you are shooting RAW the files are bigger and so take a little longer to be written. So if your exposure time is 1 minute, you should set your interval to, say, 1m 5s. Or maybe to be super safe, 1m 10s

If that is the case I would throw that intervalometer in the bin and buy one that operates correctly based on taking astro photos. If the interval time needs to be longer than the exposure time then this is madness. Taking 5 minute exposures would mean significantly less data collected over a session. 

20 minutes ago, Chefgage said:

If that is the case I would throw that intervalometer in the bin and buy one that operates correctly based on taking astro photos. If the interval time needs to be longer than the exposure time then this is madness. Taking 5 minute exposures would mean significantly less data collected over a session. 

I think you misunderstood. I didn't mention anything about 5 minute exposures. I was explaining that on some intervalometers if you want 5 seconds between exposures you enter it as 1m5s (rather than 5s). I'm saying the same as fwm891

You can do exactly the same job with it, the only difference is how you enter the value of the interval. It's pretty straightforward.

Edited by StuartT

1 minute ago, StuartT said:

I don't understand what you mean. I didn't mention anything about 5 minute exposures.

You can do exactly the same job with it, the only difference is how you enter the value of the interval. It's pretty straightforward.

You stated that the interval time needs to be longer than the exposure time so for any length of exposure the interval time needs to be longer. I was just giving an example based on your intervalometer.

Just now, Chefgage said:

You stated that the interval time needs to be longer than the exposure time so for any length of exposure the interval time needs to be longer. I was just giving an example based on your intervalometer.

no. You've misunderstood. 

The interval on mine needs to be longer than how long the exposure is set because the interval is the overall time you want between exposures including the actuall exposure as implied by Stuart.

In the OPs example the interval time needs to be 1m2s.

53 minutes ago, StuartT said:

no. You've misunderstood. 

Think I know what you mean now.  On mine if I want a 5 second interval then that's what I set it at. I see what you mean by that the interval in your case starts at the begining. So for a one minute exposure and 5 second inverval then this would mean setting the interval at 1 minute 5seconds. I thought you meant that the inverval time was a separate setting so that every time a one minute exposure was taken the camera would then wait another minute to take another exposure, hence my madness statement. 

For my intervalometer you just set the exposure time and then the  interval time is set at say 5 seconds.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chefgage said:

Think I know what you mean now.  On mine if I want a 5 second interval then that's what I set it at. I see what you mean by that the interval in your case starts at the begining. So for a one minute exposure and 5 second inverval then this would mean setting the interval at 1 minute 5seconds. I thought you meant that the inverval time was a separate setting so that every time a one minute exposure was taken the camera would then wait another minute to take another exposure, hence my madness statement. 

For my intervalometer you just set the exposure time and then the  interval time is set at say 5 seconds.

yes, that's correct.

It's a bit silly to design it that way, but it's fine once you get used to it. Oddly enough, the intervalometer in Canon EOS Utility works the same way!  😕

• Like 1

Couple of questions:

Is the DSLR set to B, if not it will not follow the intervalometer, In general it seems a DSLR maximum exposure is 30 seconds.

Next is the DSLR set to No Noise reduction. Otherwise when you take an exposure and then the DSLR attempts what is similar to a "dark" for the same period. That would really throw the Intervalometer setting out.

You interval needs to be longer. The principle is that the DSLR has time to write to the memory, and RAW files are big. Also it should include some time for the sensor to cool a little and so reduce thermal noise.

Mine handles an initial Delay fine, I tend to use 10 or 15 so I am less rushed to place it somewhere. For a one minute I would set a 30 second Interval, then in your case 30 shots. So Delay=10, Exposure=60, Interval=30, Cycle=30.

I think you are trying to rush things and do it all as fast as possible. Suggest you slow down.

If the DSLR is busy when the Intervalometer attempts the next instruction or command then everything is thrown out and very likely the DSLR just ignores the Intervalometer.

There is the odd possibility that the DSLR has a temperature sensor and the imaging sensor is getting too hot, you are taking continuous 60 second exposures, so it will get hot. The DSLR software could in effect be shutting the camera down.

• Like 1

Tested last night, definitely the interval time. Set it to 5 second and worked perfectly. 

Will likely use longer intervals going forward to save the sensor getting too hot. 

Thanks all, very helpful 😁

Edited by Portech7
Adding info
  • Like 2

On 04/04/2021 at 19:48, StuartT said:

yes, that's correct.

It's a bit silly to design it that way, but it's fine once you get used to it. Oddly enough, the intervalometer in Canon EOS Utility works the same way!  😕

It's not necessarily a silly design - it should just be called frequency rather than interval and it would make more sense

• Like 1

On 04/04/2021 at 18:10, Chefgage said:

Actually that's what happens to my new intervalometer! I have been using the camera built-in intervalomer, but it is limited to 30 s exposures. So I have just bought a Neweer one (this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Shutter-Release-Remote-Control/dp/B00GV4DLP0/), which I have seen recommended, and it seems as if I need an interval longer than the exposure, which is pretty useless. I have been tampering with the settings and watching instructions online, but I can't get around this problem, it seems like it has been designed this way. Am I doing anything wrong? Can any one recommend another intervalometer?

1 hour ago, Felias said:

Actually that's what happens to my new intervalometer! I have been using the camera built-in intervalomer, but it is limited to 30 s exposures. So I have just bought a Neweer one (this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Shutter-Release-Remote-Control/dp/B00GV4DLP0/), which I have seen recommended, and it seems as if I need an interval longer than the exposure, which is pretty useless. I have been tampering with the settings and watching instructions online, but I can't get around this problem, it seems like it has been designed this way. Am I doing anything wrong? Can any one recommend another intervalometer?

That looks exactly the same as mine (I suspect they are all made by the same manufacturer). If so, you can set any interval you like. It's just that it measures the interval from the start of the exposure, not the end of it. This means you add the exposure time to the interval you want.

Example. You want to take a total of 40 exposures of 30 sec each, with 5 sec between them. So enter your LONG as 30s then enter your INTVL as 35sec then enter your N as 40. 

Edited by StuartT
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StuartT said:

That looks exactly the same as mine (I suspect they are all made by the same manufacturer). If so, you can set any interval you like. It's just that it measures the interval from the start of the exposure, not the end of it. This means you add the exposure time to the interval you want.

Example. You want to take a total of 40 exposures of 30 sec each, with 5 sec between them. So enter your LONG as 30s then enter your INTVL as 35sec then enter your N as 40. 

Ahhhh! Thanks. 👍

2 hours ago, StuartT said:

Thanks, but I have used in-built intervalometers like that in the past, so I had tried that approach. It did not work. The interval is truly the time in between pictures for this remote.

1 hour ago, Dodgypengui said:

As above, my 450 D didn’t work with the intervalometer until the interval between exposures was set to 5 seconds.

This, on the other hand, was spot on, thank you! It's a bit silly, but I had only tried 3 second intervals, which is what I always use with the built-in intervalometer, the bare minimum to save the picture in RAW mode. It did not work, and after reading in the instructions "To ensure safe operation, choose an interval at least one second longer than the exposure time", I thought it was just bad design. But it works as intended with a 5-second interval, and even 4 seconds seem to be right. I guess it takes an extra second to save the RAW if you use the Neewer, but I can live with that.👍