Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hadley, Tycho and Clavius with Skymax 180

Nik271

Last night (22 March) the seeing was superb despite the light mist. I spent an hour gazing at the Moon with my Skymax 180 using about 300x magnification and still enjoying steady views. I thought I even got a glimpse of parts of the elusive rille running through Vallis Alpes! I was so impressed that I took the trouble to attach my DSLR and shoot two 2minute videos (about 3000 frames each) at prime focus. After the usual processing this is what I got. I think the Skymax did well for a 7 inch scope :)

Tycho and Clavius near the terminator:

159980767_TychoandClavius.thumb.jpg.0cafab6233fac78202e5333418bee377.jpg

Vallis Alpes was on the edge of the frame and did not come out as sharp but still I think there is a hint of the central rille:

1272149105_AlpineValley.jpg.21c95a3030bf38e6f0a9942bde7e6648.jpg

And finally Montes Apenines with Rima Hadley. It looked just as good visually :)

Appenines2.thumb.jpg.23f3c37379edb7f686495890ae5bdf69.jpg

Lets hope for some more good seeing like this 🤞 

Clear skies!

Nik

Edited by Nik271
  • Like 20

15 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

Excellent pictures. well done.

Were you using a barlow or was this at native?

Thank you! I didn't use a barlow, so the focal distance was 2700mm. I'm focusing manually and I found that when I use a barlow then its much harder to get the precise focus because the mirror shift becomes very noticeable. The scope is at F15 and my DSLR pixels are 3.7 microns, so I thought it may be a bit undersampled for lucky imaging. So I tried the x1.5 drizzle in Autostakkert and it worked well on the first image. Still learning this stuff :)

9 hours ago, Nik271 said:

Thank you! I didn't use a barlow, so the focal distance was 2700mm. I'm focusing manually and I found that when I use a barlow then its much harder to get the precise focus because the mirror shift becomes very noticeable. The scope is at F15 and my DSLR pixels are 3.7 microns, so I thought it may be a bit undersampled for lucky imaging. So I tried the x1.5 drizzle in Autostakkert and it worked well on the first image. Still learning this stuff :)

Yes it worked very well.  Well done.

• Like 1