Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

🍬GEMINI NEBULA NGC 2371/2 with a 12" f/5 GSO DOBSONIAN

Tiago Ferreira

🍬GEMINI NEBULA NGC 2371/2 - (ap. mag 11,2)
This image confused astronomers when it was first studied — rather than being classified as a single object, it was instead recorded as two objects, owing to its symmetrical lobed structure (known as NGC 2371 and NGC 2372).
These two lobes are visible to the lower left and upper right of the frame, and together form something known as a planetary nebula. (in:Nasa)

To me it looks like a candy, to my wife like an eye and to many people like a peanut. At the end what matters is that you let flow your imagination while admiring this wonderful and complex structure.

I've catched it last night at the middle of my visual observation session 🙂
12" f/5 GSO Dobsonian
Geoptik Eartha Equatorial Platform
ZWO ASI224MC
Baader IR/UV cut L-filter
Gain=550
Exposure=1s
800 frames
50 Darks
800 bias
Processed in DSS+PS

gemini nebula NGC 2371.jpg

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, ultranova said:

Thanks for sharing, I have never seen this one before,

Nicely captured.

well done 

Paul

Because it's hard to see. 11,2 mag.

When i saw it i pause my observation and took the cam and laptop right away to frame this beauty.

1 minute ago, MartinB said:

You are doing a great job introducing us to these PNs.  At some point you will have to show us a montage!  More great work.

Oh, that's planned Martin. You bet it.

I want to share the Dobsonian aperture power to help to break the myth.

Nice and steady. Cheers.

56 minutes ago, vineyard said:

I just watched one of your videos on true north @astrocanito & that's a great trick w the pencil & solar noon.  I had no idea about that & it should be v helpful for one area where I can get some nice sky views but cannot see Polaris at all.  Obrigado!

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 13/03/2021 at 11:16, astrocanito said:
🍬GEMINI NEBULA NGC 2371/2 - (ap. mag 11,2)
This image confused astronomers when it was first studied — rather than being classified as a single object, it was instead recorded as two objects, owing to its symmetrical lobed structure (known as NGC 2371 and NGC 2372).
These two lobes are visible to the lower left and upper right of the frame, and together form something known as a planetary nebula. (in:Nasa)

To me it looks like a candy, to my wife like an eye and to many people like a peanut. At the end what matters is that you let flow your imagination while admiring this wonderful and complex structure.

I've catched it last night at the middle of my visual observation session 🙂
12" f/5 GSO Dobsonian
Geoptik Eartha Equatorial Platform
ZWO ASI224MC
Baader IR/UV cut L-filter
Gain=550
Exposure=1s
800 frames
50 Darks
800 bias
Processed in DSS+PS

gemini nebula NGC 2371.jpg

Great. I'll have to get my dob out to look for this next time we have some sky. Nice to see a photo with a dob too. I don't have a platform so i wait until target is towards the West to get a few seconds exposure without field rotation with alt-az.

17 hours ago, Fraunhoffer said:

Great. I'll have to get my dob out to look for this next time we have some sky. Nice to see a photo with a dob too. I don't have a platform so i wait until target is towards the West to get a few seconds exposure without field rotation with alt-az.

with some more work you can do it. there is people that reset and repeat and then process.