Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can anyone answer me this

I got questions

Hi and hello from Rich in UK.  My question came from my daughter who asked me if the world takes a year to go around the sun. How long does the sun take to go around a full rotation of our galaxy...   I have NO IDEA !    Please give me the answer.  This seemed the best forum to ask. Thankyou for reading.

Hi Rich,

The Sun - in fact, our whole solar system - orbits around the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. We are moving at an average velocity of 828,000 km/hr. But even at that high rate, it still takes us about 230 million years to make one complete orbit around the Milky Way! The Milky Way is a spiral galaxy.

Does the Sun move around the Milky Way?? - StarChild - NASA

https://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov › questions › question18

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, I got questions said:

Forgot to add.. So how fast are we traveling through space?...

Well that depends what you define as reference: the Earth around the Sun, the Sun around the centre of the Milky Way, or the Milky Way relative to other galaxies in the neighbourhood. The Sun travels about 210 km/s in its orbit around the Milky Way centre (source).

• Like 1

• Mr Spock changed the title to Can anyone answer me this
16 minutes ago, Spile said:

If our solar system is tilted in the galactic plane, what galactic season are we currently enjoying? 

Given that the centre of the galaxy is only about 6 degrees from the crossing point of the ecliptic and the galactic equator, I'd say we're pretty much either in the galactic Spring or Autumn.  If we were looking at the comparable position of the Sun relative to the first point of Aries, it's equivalent to about 6 days after the Equinox.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...