Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepieces befitting a Takahashi!

6 hours ago, mtminnesota said:

After months of research (mostly reading what the eyepiece gurus at CN say), I decided on the following accessories for my FS-60CB:  TV Plossl 32 (mainly as a finder), TV Nagler Type 6 13, Tak Abbe ortho 12.5, Nagler zoom 3-6, Tak prism, and Nikon 1.6 Barlow.  These, plus a Scopetech Zero and Tak extended hood (420 grams, a big help in balancing), all fit nicely in a very small case. 

20210709_124857.jpg

Nice set. Similar to my minimal travelling set for my Tak FS76: Pan 24, N T6 13 and NZ 3-6. Just wondering the rationale behind the Or 12.5, tho.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mtminnesota said:

After months of research (mostly reading what the eyepiece gurus at CN say), I decided on the following accessories for my FS-60CB:  TV Plossl 32 (mainly as a finder), TV Nagler Type 6 13, Tak Abbe ortho 12.5, Nagler zoom 3-6, Tak prism, and Nikon 1.6 Barlow....

They are all very nice eyepieces.

Just out of curiosity, why the Nagler T6 13mm AND the Tak Abbe ortho 12.5mm ?

Edit: I see that JeremyS has asked the same !

Edited by John
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Nice set. Similar to my minimal travelling set for my Tak FS76: Pan 24, N T6 13 and NZ 3-6. Just wondering the rationale behind the Or 12.5, tho.

That's a good question.  It's in the case because I just added a wide field EP with the Nagler, and haven't decided whether I'll use the 12.5 or not yet.  Probably not, so it'll need to go soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve always thought the second best thing about Takahashi refractors was their weight (lack of), so light eyepieces are definitely to be recommended for the 76. There are so many wonderful light eyepieces available that there’s no need to go heavy. 
And there may be an additional benefit in the future. If you decide in a year you want to get into binoviewing, you will already have some EPs that can be doubled up, rather than buying pairs from scratch. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 08/07/2021 at 22:29, MAL in TX said:

Hello!  I've just stepped up to a used Tak FC-76D and have been reading your posts with great interest.  Although rather late to this party, I'm really wishing to know how things turned out for Nicola.  Especially the diagonal question as I have (and plan to stick with) 1.25 for now.  I purchased the TeleVue 1.25 Everbrite Star diagonal and am contemplating the Baader Zoom.  Unfortunately, it's been raining buckets for weeks and there's been no opportunity to test the telescope at night.  Is the TeleVue a bad choice?  Should I have gone with the Tak prism?  Was Nicola able to resolve focus problems (and how)?  Do you recommend the Baader Zoom for this scope?  Many thanks in advance for your thoughts

Hi! Sorry for being so disgracefully late in replying, I see you’ve already taken the plunge but you might be interested in my setup,. In the end I went for the Tak 1.25” prism, TV Nagler Zoom 3-6, Nagler 13 and the Baader MKIV Zoom. The Baader Zoom was bought for my other scope but I really love it with the Tak. 

Your setup looks fantastic and I’m very impressed with the photo of it all packed into one case. I still have to try this but for the moment everything fits in my car and is great for staycations 😊

• Like 4

On 12/07/2021 at 14:01, Highburymark said:

I’ve always thought the second best thing about Takahashi refractors was their weight (lack of), so light eyepieces are definitely to be recommended for the 76. There are so many wonderful light eyepieces available that there’s no need to go heavy. 

Just saw this- I dislike long heavy eyepieces in my refractors. The Televue Naglers and Delites seem to be "made" for the fracs IMHO. I dont find myself reaching for the Delos etc in them instead enjoying eyepieces like the Nagler 16t5.

I must mention- my stock TSA120 focuser easily handles the massive ES 30 82/ heavy Zeiss/Baader 2" prism diagonal at zenith. It is also easy to adjust and holds adjustment well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jetstream said:

Just saw this- I dislike long heavy eyepieces in my refractors. The Televue Naglers and Delites seem to be "made" for the fracs IMHO. I dont find myself reaching for the Delos etc in them instead enjoying eyepieces like the Nagler 16t5.

I must mention- my stock TSA120 focuser easily handles the massive ES 30 82/ heavy Zeiss/Baader 2" prism diagonal at zenith. It is also easy to adjust and holds adjustment well.

Yeah, not a fan of heavy eyepieces in my smaller fracs due to them causing my alt-az mount to turn turtle above 60 degrees altitude or so.  To counteract this, I hang about 2 pounds of weight off a bolt sticking out 4 or 5 inches at 90 degrees to the telescope tube from the mount's altitude axis itself.  It rises perfectly in opposition to the eyepiece in the diagonal to keep things in balance while doing almost nothing to cause imbalance at lower altitudes.

Edited by Louis D
  • Like 3

I tend to mostly use my 1.25 inch eyepiece set with my refractors and keep the big ones for the dobsonian.

All but one of my refractors can use 2 inch eyepieces but somehow, I don't often do that.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, John said:

I tend to mostly use my 1.25 inch eyepiece set with my refractors and keep the big ones for the dobsonian.

All but one of my refractors can use 2 inch eyepieces but somehow, I don't often do that.

I got the 2" Zeiss prism for one reason- to use 2" low power eyepieces to observe large nebula. These scopes are super for this. If I wasnt into that I would only use 1.25" eyepieces.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jetstream said:

I got the 2" Zeiss prism for one reason- to use 2" low power eyepieces to observe large nebula. These scopes are super for this. If I wasnt into that I would only use 1.25" eyepieces.

I do that with my F/6.5 Vixen ED102SS. 3.8 degrees TFoV with the 31mm Nagler :grin:

• Like 4

A bit late to this long thread.

For what is worth, I use two sets with my FC-100DF:

(1) combo: 30 APM UFF, Zeiss zoom +/- modded VIP Barlow (just 2" nosepiece),

OR

(2) 24 Pan, 9 nagler, 5 ortho, 3.4-2.0 vixen hr.

I tend to use:

(1) for DSO

(2) for double stars

For planets, solar, lunar observing, I use the Zeiss zoom + VIP (2" nosepiece and push fix adapter).

The zoom + VIP is tall, but once the telescope is balanced I don't have issues with it. I use a wrist weight on the dovetail to counteract the torque when pointing at high altitudes.

I've used the 24 Pan + N9 on DSO successfully too.

Other times, I just leave the ZZ without VIP for the whole session.

Edited by Piero
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Piero said:

A bit late to this long thread.

For what is worth, I use two sets with my FC-100DF:

(1) combo: 30 APM UFF, Zeiss zoom +/- modded VIP Barlow (just 2" nosepiece),

OR

(2) 24 Pan, 9 nagler, 5 ortho, 3.4-2.0 vixen hr.

I tend to use:

(1) for DSO

(2) for double stars

For planets, solar, lunar observing, I use the Zeiss zoom + VIP (2" nosepiece and push fix adapter).

The zoom + VIP is tall, but once the telescope is balanced I don't have issues with it. I use a wrist weight on the dovetail to counteract the torque when pointing at high altitudes.

I've used the 24 Pan + N9 on DSO successfully too.

Other times, I just leave the ZZ without VIP for the whole session.

Thanks for your input Piero, very interesting to know about the different setups depending on what you want to observe. I can imagine  the FC-100 DF is a wonderful all rounder too.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...
On 21/08/2021 at 03:46, Nicola Fletcher said:

Hi! Sorry for being so disgracefully late in replying, I see you’ve already taken the plunge but you might be interested in my setup,. In the end I went for the Tak 1.25” prism, TV Nagler Zoom 3-6, Nagler 13 and the Baader MKIV Zoom. The Baader Zoom was bought for my other scope but I really love it with the Tak. 

Hi Nicola - And here I am unbelievably a year later responding to your post.  Thanks so much for sharing your set up!  I really love the Tak 76.  It has such great optics and is perfect for road trips. 

18 hours ago, MAL in TX said:

Hi Nicola - And here I am unbelievably a year later responding to your post.  Thanks so much for sharing your set up!  I really love the Tak 76.  It has such great optics and is perfect for road trips. 

Any chance of a picture of this set up? 

34 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

As does the 3.3 and 2.5  :)

They are my favourite eyepieces!

Malcolm 

Have the 2.5mm too but waiting to give it a proper go, Mars & Saturn should be goers with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1