Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepieces befitting a Takahashi!

Here are a few eyepieces befitting a Takahashi. They are mainly Pseudo Masuyama's, based I believe in the Zeiss Astroplanoccular, and similar to the Takahashi LE series, although I like these more than the LE's as they are great right across the range. The LE's have a few lemons by design. My Vixen High Resolution eyepieces are really nice, and although they too are no longer in production, Takahashi still offer their amazing high resolution TOE eyepieces.

121784240_2021-03-1222_54_46.thumb.jpg.93bbc8ef05ed1133a6b2000d8430a224.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Here are a few eyepieces befitting a Takahashi. They are mainly Pseudo Masuyama's, based I believe in the Zeiss Astroplanoccular, and similar to the Takahashi LE series, although I like these more than the LE's as they are great right across the range. The LE's have a few lemons by design. My Vixen High Resolution eyepieces are really nice, and although they too are no longer in production, Takahashi still offer their amazing high resolution TOE eyepieces.

121784240_2021-03-1222_54_46.thumb.jpg.93bbc8ef05ed1133a6b2000d8430a224.jpg

Wow! The TOEs are on my list - might have to keep an eye on the used market as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

Wow! The TOEs are on my list - might have to keep an eye on the used market as well.

Some of the HR’s are still available new too, they are the bottom four on @mikeDnight picture. However @John might want them too? @John did you make up you mind HR or TOE or both? 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Ahh, so she's listening then!?

796657295_2020-08-0516_41_06.png.2d3d3b4f1bd71552a7540bb6eb748f50.png

Blimey Mike, that was brave.  I'm surprised Chris allowed you to post a photo of the two of you on SGL. 

If I remember correctly, that's the pic I took when she told you you couldnt buy a DZ.

Edited by paulastro
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Deadlake said:

Some of the HR’s are still available new too,

The Op's scope is a perfect match for the entire set of Vixen HR's.  These will maximize the view of the planets and allow this scope to perform to its maximum.

• Like 1

I suppose a legitimate question that can / should be asked is what will all these marvellous eyepieces that have been proposed show with the Tak 76 that the OP's current BST's and Baader zoom won't show ?

In  a number of cases (including my own suggestion) the proposals could involve spending £1000 plus. So just what does that buy in terms of tangible / specific performance gains over the eyepieces that Nicola currently has ?

(I'm asking for a friend :icon_biggrin:)

Edited by John
  • Like 7

Two 25mm and two 18mm ortho's, a 2X barlow and a binoviewer will give juicer views of the Moon & planets. On their own or with the barlow, the ortho's will give wonderful transparent views of DSO's. Limited by apparent field but on axis they are mouthwatering. 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, John said:

I suppose a legitimate question that can / should be asked is what will all these marvellous eyepieces that have been proposed show with the Tak 76 that the OP's current BST's and Baader zoom won't show ?

A friend of mine is asking :grin: if the same applies to the Tak scopes? will they show more than other fracs?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, jetstream said:

A friend of mine is asking :grin: if the same applies to the Tak scopes? will they show more than other fracs?

You need to define other fracs 😀, and how dark the skies are for the scope being used, some targets might be off the menu...

Edited by Deadlake
  • Like 2

Sorry to be a kill-joy, but I think that the visual acuity and the technique of the observer, combined with the prevailing seeing conditions, are probably more important than having the very highest quality telescope and eyepieces money can buy.

And I'm not just saying this because I cant afford either 🙂.

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

The straightforward answer would be Takahashi eyepieces ... that would also be my suggestion in terms of visual experience for outlay.  I’m fortunate to own a TEC 140, which is a refractor in the same quality class as a Tak, and a number of high end eyepieces, including Delos, Pentax XW, Ethos, Morpheus, Tak TOE and Vixen HR.  I also own pairs of the a Tak orthos which I use singly or for binoviewing. In their different ways, these are all terrific eyepieces.  That said, the sharpest, most transparent views of solar system objects and DSOs are, albeit marginally, with the Tak orthos.  They’re also the cheapest.  The TOE and HRs are also excellent, but using them takes you to small exit pupils and places where other factors like seeing, etc are more intrusive, and it becomes more difficult to make definitive comparisons. That said, I find the performance of the Tak orthos ‘Barlowed’ with Powermate closely comparable to that of the unbarlowed TOE and HR.  For middling focal lengths, of the eyepieces mentioned above, for sharpness and transparency, I’d put the Delos second behind the orthos but only very marginally ahead of the rest.

Until recently, I swore by the Baader Zeiss spec prisms and I still think these are exceptionally good - clearly better than, for example, the William Optics and AstroPhysics dielectrics I used to own.  I’ve just been testing a Baader BBHS (silvered) mirror diagonal though and I think if I could only keep one diagonal it would be this.  So, my straight answer to the OP’s question would be: Tak orthos and 1.25 Baader BBHS mirror diagonal.  I’d also suggest planning for a decent binoviewer when the budget allows because, for solar system viewing especially, that will transform your observing pleasure and effectiveness more than the difference between any two eyepieces of even broadly comparable quality.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, paulastro said:

the visual acuity and the technique of the observer, combined with the prevailing seeing conditions, are probably more important than having the very highest quality telescope and eyepieces money can buy.

Seriously?!

:grin:

1 hour ago, JTEC said:

That said, the sharpest, most transparent views of solar system objects and DSOs are, albeit marginally, with the Tak orthos.  

I agree about the sharpness and I have 4 Tak orthos- 2 18's and 2 12.5's but on faint DSO my experience has been that the Delos pulls ahead of my Taks, the 10 BCO bests the Delos by a squeak however. This is most likely just different eyes under different conditions.

The 12.5mm Tak barlows endlessly.My 12.5mm Tak LE has zero advantages anywhere to my eyes.

That TEC 140 is sure a great scope btw.

3 hours ago, Deadlake said:

You need to define other fracs 😀, and how dark the skies are for the scope being used, some targets might be off the menu...

In my humblest of opinions all the differences in optics show up under the best of conditions given that the mentioned optics are all of reasonable quality.

38 minutes ago, jetstream said:

I agree about the sharpness and I have 4 Tak orthos- 2 18's and 2 12.5's but on faint DSO my experience has been that the Delos pulls ahead of my Taks, the 10 BCO bests the Delos by a squeak however. This is most likely just different eyes under different conditions.

The 12.5mm Tak barlows endlessly.My 12.5mm Tak LE has zero advantages anywhere to my eyes.

That TEC 140 is sure a great scope btw.

I have Tak ortho pairs in 6,9 and 12.5 and a pair of 18mm Tak LEs.  The LEs seem to be a mixed bag. I like the 18s but got rid of the 10s. Like you, I can find no advantage in the LEs over the abbe orthos, and they cost more too. Interesting about the BCO over the Delos - and the BCOs are a fraction of the price at £49 against £336 current FLO prices. Given your experience with them, that has to be some kind of a bargain.

• Like 3