SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mandel-Wilson 3 - The Volcano Nebula

gorann

That's a great shot. I got 6h of data no M81 & M82 a week or so ago, and after seeing your image went back to see if I could see anything in that - nada, zip. But then I re-read what you explained about IFN's & needing large apertures, long time & fast speeds.  And felt less bad that my little Evo50 hadn't captured any of the volcano 😂

👍🏾

3 minutes ago, vineyard said:

That's a great shot. I got 6h of data no M81 & M82 a week or so ago, and after seeing your image went back to see if I could see anything in that - nada, zip. But then I re-read what you explained about IFN's & needing large apertures, long time & fast speeds.  And felt less bad that my little Evo50 hadn't captured any of the volcano 😂

👍🏾

Thanks! Yes, my first image of there galaxies with a 5" refractor some years ago showed almost no IFN, so no surprise you cannot detect it. If you are on a dark site your scope may finaly get it but it would probably take many nights.

• Like 1

Wonderful!  The flux extends over a large area so good to have that great FOV.   I am itching for the "plague" to abate so I can get to a dark sky site and have a go at this.  I will use this image as a reference point, not that I have any hope of achieving this quality.  Well done Gorann.

27 minutes ago, MartinB said:

Wonderful!  The flux extends over a large area so good to have that great FOV.   I am itching for the "plague" to abate so I can get to a dark sky site and have a go at this.  I will use this image as a reference point, not that I have any hope of achieving this quality.  Well done Gorann.

Thanks a lot Martin! We are all itching!

10 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Wonderful image Goran, love the colour in the IFN.

Thanks Richard, much appreciated! The RASA8 - ASI2600MC combo seems to be outstanding in capturing colour even in the faintest objects.

• Like 1

Well that's tremendous! I have the same region from my CCD but in far more time and mine isn't at all as good. I also found the IFN to be brown which, at the time I did this (with Tom O'Donoghue) wasn't something on which there was agreement. Your rig continues to impress... (as does your use of it.) Superb.

Olly

1 minute ago, ollypenrice said:

Well that's tremendous! I have the same region from my CCD but in far more time and mine isn't at all as good. I also found the IFN to be brown which, at the time I did this (with Tom O'Donoghue) wasn't something on which there was agreement. Your rig continues to impress... (as does your use of it.) Superb.

Olly

Thanks Olly!

This is the deepest I have got with my set-up so far and on a good SQM 21.4 night, so probably not that far from Les Granges skies. And yes I find a clear brownish tint to the IFN and in this region also a bit of Ha behind it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, peter shah said:

another epic shot Goran....I really love the composition on this one.....M81 and M82 places it really well

Thanks a lot Peter! Fortunately my FOV allowed me to include those as reference and then show what was lurking in their backyard.

I have been playing with the idea to do a less stretched version where the IFN does not show, maybe as a gif image that can be turned on and off. Need to figure out how that is done.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gorann said:

I have been playing with the idea to do a less stretched version where the IFN does not show, maybe as a gif image that can be turned on and off. Need to figure out how that is done.

That would be good. You could also do a slow fade between the two versions.

I've been using the free version of the VSDC video editor recently. It's a bit of a learning curve but it's easy enough to fade between images. Import the two images at once in the wizard, select both images, fade-in effect and choose the duration. Then export the video in the required format.

1 minute ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

That would be good. You could also do a slow fade between the two versions.

I've been using the free version of the VSDC video editor recently. It's a bit of a learning curve but it's easy enough to fade between images. Import the two images at once in the wizard, select both images, fade-in effect and choose the duration. Then export the video in the required format.

I assume that is a Windows program and I am mainly a Mac person when it comes to processing. If you like you can have a go at it. Here are the two versions.

20210307-8 Volcano Neb RASA PS32b (de-stretched version)small.jpg

20210307-8 Volcano Neb RASA PS32small.jpg

2 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Here you go, here's a small gif as a preview.

486718395_M81M82VolcanoNebula.gif.264c03c45eb3ba1259e8fbcb2a1d88ed.gif

I could put a higher quality file on Dropbox later if you like. I've been uploading my videos to YouTube, their compression seems to handle astronomical images pretty well these days.

Do you think it is too big to upload here in this thread? It says that max size is 1 Gb. I could then at least put it on my Astrobin too.

21 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Here you go, the HD mp4 file is just 25MB.

(Dropbox will ask you to sign in but you don't need to, just close the login dialogue and click the download button.)

Thanks a lot - very cool👍

I just posted the video in a separate thread here on SGL

Edited by gorann