Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

FEB 25TH - TONIGHT (AND 26TH), MARE ORIENTALE FAVOURABLY PLACED ON THE SW LIMB

paulastro

A favourable libration on the SW limb gives the opportunity to observe Mare Orientale, tonight and tomorrow night.

On 25th only, Hevelius, Schickard and Wargentin are also fairly favourable.

In addition, Riccioli and Bailly should be very favourable right on the terminator.

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• paulastro changed the title to FEB 25TH - TONIGHT (AND 26TH), MARE ORIENTALE FAVOURABLY PLACED ON THE SW LIMB
57 minutes ago, John said:

I've been through Orion doubles from Rigel to 52 Orionis so far - it's looking good out there !

Alnitak is particularly splendid at 400x :grin:

Agreed. The seeing seems to be very steady. Some lovely doubles with the 100DL

• Like 1

I got M Oriental's information from S@N mag, afraid it's wrong I should have checked it.  It may be visible tomorrow, but it's not tonight, sorry chaps!

Bailly, Riccioli and Hevalius are well placed though, particularly the first two. Also terminator detail in area of Eddington and Struve.

Back to the scope 🙂

• Like 1

The sky's a bit milky here but I managed an hour and a half lunar observation before a warm room was required due to not wrapping up enough. 🙄

Thanks for the heads up, most of the features mentioned got a look. Not being a lunar buff, I found the feature below quite interesting to view but not 100% sure what it is. The crater Bailly?

1408483674_20210225_2019464.thumb.jpg.e751d10d04b19b0e3334bca88260a53f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

The sky's a bit milky here but I managed an hour and a half lunar observation before a warm room was required due to not wrapping up enough. 🙄

Thanks for the heads up, most of the features mentioned got a look. Not being a lunar buff, I found the feature below quite interesting to view but not 100% sure what it is. The crater Bailly?

1408483674_20210225_2019464.thumb.jpg.e751d10d04b19b0e3334bca88260a53f.jpg

Yes it is Bailly 👍

• Thanks 2

Quite a night. Interesting to capture the subtle and strange light toned feature of Reiner Gamma and prominently lit along the terminator close by I think was Glushko, Olbers, Hendin. Referencing 21st Century Atlas of the moon, was great to see the Kraft crater chain aligned with Cardanus. Higher up, Pythagoras and its central mountains were prominent, moving down Struve, Eddington and downwards I think Schickard. Always an education, the references gleaned from here and knowledge through books and charts make it very stimulating. Was able to go up to 300x, but 7mm; 171x was most satisfying. 

• Like 4