SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

152/1216 fpl-51

36 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I don't believe anyone said fluorite was hundreds of times better than FPL53

Well actually saying something is many orders of magnitude better is saying just that, isn’t it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wish you guys would stop talking about all these high end large refractors... Tecs,Taks Tecs Taks- my mouse pointer is hovering above APM's 152 LZOS now!

and I need other stuff first!😀

I wonder how I could get that bad boy in the sea can without the wife seeing...:evil:  🤫

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

I’ve only got one 76 - honest! At least the last time I looked...

The 76mm is a lovely little thing; I miss mine still. It was the split tube one so very portable. I’m lucky enough to have two fluorite 4” scopes though and enjoy them both. I only really need one, but they each have their own character so will likely hang on to both.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

The 76mm is a lovely little thing; I miss mine still. It was the split tube one so very portable. I’m lucky enough to have two fluorite 4” scopes though and enjoy them both. I only really need one, but they each have their own character so will likely hang on to both.

Definitely hang on to both, Stu. I know how much you like them 👍🏻

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I was just seeing who was paying attention. ☺  Takahashi's claim, not mine!  

Roger Vine thinks fluorite is good but he is a little more modest about it than Takahashi !:

http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Fluorite.htm

My favourite bit from that is:

"....In truth the optical materials that make up the lens in your telescope (or binoculars or camera) are just one part of several factors which affect the lens’ performance. The design, figure and assembly of the lens all count too...."

Edited by John
  • Like 1

I think a fluorite doublet takes some beating, certainly for visual, but suspect that any of the top notch triplets from Tak, LZOS, AP or TEC would be pretty hard to separate, whether they contain fluorite or not.

• Like 5

I use three ED80 scopes and a Genesis.....

I feel uncomfortable (!!) after being so impressed with the Petzval design Genesis for so many years to admit that the performance of the ED80 is very (very) good.

I would recommend the ED80 scopes to any amateur. Bang per buck they can’t be beat.

• Like 1