Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EP35 - Sunday, 31st January 2021 7:30pm GMT - The HOYS Citizen Science Project by Dr Dirk Froebrich

Grant

Our guest speaker this week is Dr Dirk Froebrich from https://hoys.space/ to talk to us about the HOYS citizen science project. HOYS – Hunting Outbursting Young Stars, is a citizen science project run by Dr Dirk Froebrich of the University of Kent and co-lead Dr Aleks Scholz from the University of St Andrews.

After completing his degree in Physics at the Universität Leipzig in Germany, Dr Dirk Froebrich went on to study for his PhD at the Universität Jena. From Germany, he moved to a researcher position at the Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies and was appointed Lecturer in Astronomy/Astrophysics at the University of Kent in 2006.

His main research areas are young protostars and their outflows, structure and properties of molecular clouds and the formation and evolution of star clusters.

The talk will give a brief overview of how stars and planets are forming and how this relates to the science goals of HOYS. Dirk will show some recent results from the project and explain how you can participate - in an extended Q&A session.

This should be an interesting talk for us amateur astronomers to learn about a project we can get involved in and help 🙂

See you all Sunday!

Meeting details below:

Topic: EP35 - Sunday, 31st January 2021 7:30pm GMT - The HOYS Citizen Science Project by Dr Dirk Froebrich
Time: Jan 31, 2021 07:30 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/97160184346?pwd=ODZrM1BrTFl0WWJvb2JqZjRsdFdRQT09

Meeting ID: 971 6018 4346
Passcode: 532566

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Grant changed the title to EP35 - Sunday, 31st January 2021 7:30pm GMT - The HOYS Citizen Science Project by Dr Dirk Froebrich

Really good - as usual. I've been doing HOYS for a few years now (almost at 500 observations uploaded) and I'm part of the HOYS coordinating group. If anyone would like to get into contributing to the project and needs any more info or help then I'm happy to provide more guidance.

I think it's a fantastic project for amateurs to get involved with leading edge astronomical research and flows on naturally from our imaging activities. I'd got to the point where I wasn't satisfied with just taking "pretty pictures" anymore and wanted to move on to something else.

There are also many ways you can automate a lot of the HOYS capture and processing using free tools such as NINA and SiriL.

Mark

• Like 2

21 hours ago, markarian said:

Really good - as usual. I've been doing HOYS for a few years now (almost at 500 observations uploaded) and I'm part of the HOYS coordinating group. If anyone would like to get into contributing to the project and needs any more info or help then I'm happy to provide more guidance.

I think it's a fantastic project for amateurs to get involved with leading edge astronomical research and flows on naturally from our imaging activities. I'd got to the point where I wasn't satisfied with just taking "pretty pictures" anymore and wanted to move on to something else.

There are also many ways you can automate a lot of the HOYS capture and processing using free tools such as NINA and SiriL.

Mark

Thanks Mark!

I'm certainly interested in contributing data for this project!

Perhaps we could organise a Zoom call to go into more of the details of actually contributing?