Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

On Average how many nights provide good observation conditions in UK?

I've been at this for just over a year now, with a heavy focus on lunar and planetary imaging up until a couple of months ago when I made the move into deep sky astrophotography.

For planetary/lunar imaging, it's perfectly possible to capture a decent amount of data inside of 30 minutes, so you can make good use of relatively small breaks in the cloud. I would imagine the same rings true for visual observations as these objects are so bright you don't really need any dark adaptation time.

Over the summer last year, I managed 3 decent images of Jupiter, 2 of Saturn, 3 of Mars and 4 or 5 shots of the Moon. Amazingly, the skies were also clear around the time of the oppositions for both Jupiter and Mars! I definitely skipped several good clear nights during this time as well (pubs reopened 😁).

Since moving to deep sky imaging, I've been able to get 5 or 6 sessions so far in the last month, most between 2 - 3 hours, with two sessions of 5 or 6 hours. 

Basically, if you're able to set up quick enough, and are happy to accept you may only get an hour or two of clear sky time, then on average, I would say 1, maybe 2 sessions per week. 

I do find ScopeNights app on iOS is more accurate than clear outside and at least it sometimes gives me a flicker of hope as it updates via the met office during the day (though usually I watch small patches of green fade to yellow then red :()

Urgh double post :(

Edited by wibblefish

On 27/01/2021 at 23:28, John said:

I think that is a key point and, here in the UK at least, makes a big difference to how many sessions you get.

I keep my setups very simple and portable and observe just a few paces from where the scopes live. My scopes just take a couple of minutes to set up / tear down. This way I can have quite a lot of observing sessions even though some of those might be quite short due to the unpredictable weather.

Our garden is not large enough to house an observatory.

If I had complex scope setups and had to carry them someway to an observing site before connecting power sources, aligning mounts etc, etc then the number of sessions I have would be drastically reduced, possibly to the point where I would not actually have the desire to own a scope at all :dontknow:

This has been a topic on my mind for a while and there's some great observations here. I think what you say here John is a big factor. Having just a 10" dob, there have been nights with intermittent cloud where I have decided to grab binoculars because of the hassle of moving the dob around. The spring last year seemed very good, but these last 2 months have been very difficult. Having a larger scope nearby is definitely a benefit. In the spring I was observing from my garden, mostly in the West/SW. For Southerly views, the front drive is best (not so though with street lighting!) and so I've had to move the gear to the front of the house to capture Orion/Taurus etc at this time of year. I'd like a grab and go setup, but can't see that happening this year. Luckily I'm still relatively young in my years of observing so keen enough to make a little effort still, no doubt that will dwindle a bit in time.

It leads me on to how do you realistically plan a trip to a dark site that probably needs a stay over? I'd love to take my dob out for a good trip into Wales this year (when allowed of course) but still assuming that that will have to be a last minute decision...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Orange Smartie said:

Not fair!  My forecast is showing red for the foreseeable.  Of course it's sunny and clear NOW! 😖

This annoys me the most, UK weather can't even be consistent during the same day! Still gives us something to moan about I suppose, I am waiting with baited breath to see if my neighbour chops down any more of his huge pine trees that border my property and were providing me with a tiny oasis of dark from all the street lights :(

Edited by wibblefish

4 hours ago, Stardaze said:

It leads me on to how do you realistically plan a trip to a dark site that probably needs a stay over? I'd love to take my dob out for a good trip into Wales this year (when allowed of course) but still assuming that that will have to be a last minute decision...

Campervan or a day-van. Or a large MPV that can be slept it.

I realise that might be a bit of an added expense. But if you were looking to get a new vehicle in the near future, it's worth keeping in mind. My Bongo is about to expire, so just starting to look at a Toyota Alphard (suitable name!). 

Haven't seen you around for a while @Stardaze!

1 hour ago, Pixies said:

Campervan or a day-van. Or a large MPV that can be slept it.

I realise that might be a bit of an added expense. But if you were looking to get a new vehicle in the near future, it's worth keeping in mind. My Bongo is about to expire, so just starting to look at a Toyota Alphard (suitable name!). 

Haven't seen you around for a while @Stardaze!

I'm still around mate but have been quiet as had a lot of building works happening back end of last year, so we were literally all over the place.

That's certainly the ideal, but unfortunately it's not really an option at the moment. Probably my best bet is to suss some campsites that could be utilised at the drop of a hat, in the not-so-cold months. 

42 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Here's mine in Texas:

image.png.9fbd148ca4365b5aa735240210e89156.png

We had high, thin clouds and a full moon last night, and temps in the low 40s.  I'd have gone out, but I had had an exhausting day at work yesterday.

As the English phrase goes, that's just not cricket old boy 😂

Just noticed it's all change since my earlier post = game over. But the heavy snow forecast doesn't sound much fun anyway. 

Sept2020 to present appears to have been a particularly cloudy period, least from my backyard!

Yet to observe m42 this Winter without moon glow. Usually it's 'let's find something else, i've seen m42 enough'

Usually you'll get a glut of clear nights somewhere along the line though (usually when you can least use them 😉) so don't get too despondant.

I think my first proper years observing in the early 80's & the only one i kept proper weather notes for was basically cloudy January thru March!

2003 late Summer,nearing Mars' closest approach, seemingly night after night of clear weather....& i was working nights!!😦 Ended up taking an ST80 to work for my dinner break~my colleagues were quite impressed with the red planet till the security guy spotted us all on cctv & attempted a rugby tackle. 🤣🤣

Swings & roundabouts UK weather wise.

• Like 2

Through 2019 I measured and logged any night that was clear for over 2 hours a night. I had 69 nights through the entire year. 

I didn't do that during 2020 but it didn't feel much better. 

So far in January 2021 I've had 3 nights 😂

On a positive note , last night was the clearest night I have had with a scope . After the sleet and rain that blighted the entire day the skies cleared around 11 pm . It was absolutely freezing but , well , when you don't see the stars for what seems like weeks on end .. you really do have to grasp the moment ( that’s what I told my wife , who thought I was nuts :) ) 

• Like 3

Got out last night after 10 for an hour and a half even though my apps all said heavy cloud when I stuck my head out for a look it was clear. Hid from the nearly full moon behind the hedge and did doubles which I was pleased with splitting most of the ones I could see! 

I also managed to drop my 12mm onto the concrete 😔messed up the cap but had a good look at the moon and didnt see damage so hopefully got away with it! 

I have decided to buy a bag thing that you attach between the tripod legs to bolster the height in my tray so it doesnt happen again hopefully!

Edited by wibblefish

1 hour ago, wibblefish said:

Got out last night after 10 for an hour and a half even though my apps all said heavy cloud when I stuck my head out for a look it was clear. Hid from the nearly full moon behind the hedge and did doubles which I was pleased with splitting most of the ones I could see! 

I also managed to drop my 12mm onto the concrete 😔messed up the cap but had a good look at the moon and didnt see damage so hopefully got away with it! 

I have decided to buy a bag thing that you attach between the tripod legs to bolster the height in my tray so it doesnt happen again hopefully!

Last night was forecast clear round here on C.O. , but the BBC weather said some cloud , I looked out thinking I'd pop the mak outside (covered, to cool) and do some Moon watching if there was a decent gap , but then noticed standing water puddles on quite a lot of the 'lawn' and decided I'd better wait for the clay soil to dry out at least a little before trampling it any more 😞 . Checked the sky briefly when Her Majesty the Cat required letting in/out/in/out/in and it seemed I wasn't missing much. The coming week does not seem promising , but who can tell with the English weather ?

EP dropping nightmare ! I use a repurposed little padded waist bag with compartments which hold 3 EPSs securely and keeps them warm when not in use too . As I tend to shift my small 'scopes around the garden a bit to avoid trees/shed/houses etc I'd be forever dropping or misplacing my EPs if they were not strapped to my middle ! 

If I had the tray under the 'scope of an astro tripod I'd probably try to find a nice little clip box ( there might even be a round one deep enough , lost of supermarkets carry ranges ) that would fit on the tray , pad the inside with foam (or corrugated card or bubble wrap if you have no foam to hand) , make some partitions or cut holes in more foam to keep the EPs safely apart . Could even drill some holes in the box and fix it on with wingnuts , or rig some elastic or velcro or something to anchor it in place.  Cost under £4 , and something purposeful to do while waiting for a clear sky !

Heather