SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Solar white light: 23-01-2020

John

Took advantage of a nice sunny morning to get the Herschel Wedge on the Tak FC100-DL and to have a look at the Sun.

There are 3 active regions currently on the disk as shown in the Solar Monitor white light image below. Although the sunspots associated with these are small they have some nice details when observed at higher magnifications. I found 125x worked quite well under todays conditions. I'm not a frequent observer of our nearest star but it's nice to be able to take a safe peek now and then and the solar activity does seem to be increasing again :icon_biggrin:

My rather basic mobile phone snap shows the refractor + diagonal view so E & W reversed compared with the Solar Monitor view.

https://solarmonitor.org/data/2021/01/23/pngs/chmi/chmi_06173_fd_20210123_073430.png

20210123_112502.jpg.888049d96e04a645116460145036024d.jpg

20210123_112219.jpg

20210123_112146.jpg

Edited by John
  • Like 8

Thanks for sharing John, good to know there’s something worth seeing. I have been thinking about some white light solar with my ED102R and you’ve encouraged me to give it a go. I was a bit concerned about pointing my lovely new scope at the sun, but I don't think I should worrying about that. 👍

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Thanks for sharing John, good to know there’s something worth seeing. I have been thinking about some white light solar with my ED102R and you’ve encouraged me to give it a go. I was a bit concerned about pointing my lovely new scope at the sun, but I don't think I should worrying about that. 👍

I used to worry a bit but I figure that these instruments are made to be used so the Tak gets lots of use. It's probably my most used refractor. It's not an ornament :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobertI said:

Here's my ed102r doing one of many solar outings, it has survived so far!

20200905_133735.thumb.jpg.2da27451af185a9bab2f85551c664b51.jpg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Reassuring to hear, thanks! 🙂 Never even considered binoviewing the sun, will give it a go. 👍

Well worth it Robert, makes a big difference. A pic from summer last year.

7A9F13EE-568B-4ABF-AD67-EE58D2534F49.jpeg

• Like 6

This makes me want to get out with my herschel wedge but the cold weather and low sun over rooftops and resultant bad seeing will probably kill it for me.

Plus work  (yep, still forced to go to work) getting in the way and my morning head and ritual  (don't ask about that one! ). But I still get quite a bit of time off - I've got a post planned about that 😉

Got the wedge for when solar activity picks up. Hoping maybe in a few years I can get a H-alpha setup based around my bresser 152L. Figuring that as bandwidths are so narrow; who needs apo?

• Like 1