Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orthoscopic eyepiece recommendations

Whippy

As much as I like my Hyperions, I'm thinking that a couple of orthoscopic eyepieces would give me better views for planetary observing. So, as I'm thinking of only buying one or two to see if they're right for me, what recommendations in terms of makes/brands would people have?

Tony..

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though the orthoscopic design is more than 100 years old, it can still hold its own for sharpness and clarity with any of today's fancy eyepieces. Orthos will show you more detail than the Hyperions, which are copied from a very successful Japanese design of about 25 years ago - as long as you can stand the orthos' narrow field of view. If you buy secondhand Circle T orthos, made by Towa Optical in Japan, watch out for the very early ones. They go back to the mid 1960s, and some of the early coatings are no match for today's. Also some of the Circle T and Zeiss orthos have narrow barrels so that you need adaptors to use them on today's scopes. And the really early Zeiss ones won't have coatings at all - Hugh.

• 3 years later...

May I resurrect this topic and extend it to modern improved designs that have been around in the last years?

I'm also very satisfied with Hyperions but was wondering if I can get that last few percents of resolving power. I'm speaking of fast newtonian scopes.

My two choices were Siebert SSS 5mm and Tak LE 5mm, first one is ortho based with great reviews but I was not satisfied with communication with the manufacturer. Some other may have found it to be exactly what it's needed. I have yet to test Tak but have seen read of cons for fast reflectors, as it's Erfle design. I believe people take it for granted in big dobs and you can do better.

So, besides one modified ortho - SSS, are we left with plain 40-45° orthoscopics? Please, let this time criteria be sharpness only, not FoW, although something like 50-55° would be great. Naglers, Ethoi and especially XWs are wonderful EPs but they do not belong here...

I think my BGOs give the sharpest views I have available (Ethos, TV Plossl, Radians, Nagler zoom) although the Radians I have come close, very nice too, 60 degree flat field, very sharp, great eye relief and about £100 used. seeing and other factors affect sharpness more than optics although I suspect you suffer less effects in Croatia then we in the UK?

The sharpest and most contrasty 5mm eyepiece that I've ever owned was a TMB Supermonocentric. Under the best viewing conditions it showed subtle planetary features a little more readily than even the excellent Baader Genuine Ortho 5mm. The tiny field of view (30 degrees) was not conducive to relaxed observing though, especially with my undriven, alt-az mounted scopes, so I sold it and bought a Pentax XW 5mm which seems to offer ortho-type performance with lots of eye relief and a 70 degree field of view. After much experimentation I've found that viewing comfort does carry some importance, at least for me :smiley:

The TMB Supermono's are often compared favourably to Pentax XO's and I think you would need to go to a Zeiss ZAO to improve on that level of planetary performance.

As of Croatia, seeing might be a problem as I live in windy, maritime region. But when it's still it can be awesome, without dust particles, especially when it's not summer.

If we take only sharpness, Very popular Pentax XW looses over Tak LE, but then the latter does not cope well with fast ratios. That's what I've heard. XO might be ultimate solution, however, it is expensive indeed, much more than LE. Have also an opportunity to buy used Baader Gen. Ortho, but as they've discontinued it, I have a feeling they will produce something similar, with a bit bigger FoW.

...Have also an opportunity to buy used Baader Gen. Ortho, but as they've discontinued it, I have a feeling they will produce something similar, with a bit bigger FoW...

I think these may be the replacements from Baader for the Genuine Ortho's:

http://hyperionzoomlover.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/new-baader-classic-orthos-61018-32mm.html

You're right! I don't know how I skipped those, actually I've messed'em up with Eudiascopics, old orthos were popular here, but I haven't seen those. Also, I didn't think old orthos were discontinued so long time ago :/

Need to check comparisons with TMP Monocentric EPs as well.

edit: Those are not available yet! That explains many things :)

Archived