Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orthoscopic eyepiece recommendations

Whippy

....need to check comparisons with TMP Monocentric EPs as well......

The TMB Supermonocentrics are out of production now. They only made a couple of production runs. They are like hens teeth to find on the used market.

While the performance of the 5mm I had was exquisite the very small FoV did make it really challenging to use. A real "no compromise" planetary eyepiece !

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly. Even if they have marginally sharper image (and question is do they on reflectors), 30 degrees are awfully narrow.

As of orthos, I'm now aware that sharpest and best currently produced is Pentax XO. A slight off topic, I have taken my chance and took used Baader G.O. priced where new ones will be, at surely much higher quality. It is said that XO is only slightly better, if any, and that last percent of quality always costs a fortune - like everywhere...

BTW, FoV for that particular 6 mm BGO vary from 40 to even 47, if the latter shows correct it's definitely a great ortho, only 5 degrees less than Tak LE and I'm sure it behaves better paired with fast mirrors.

Archived