Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How robust is HEQ5 Pro

Hi All

Am looking for some help from people with experience of HEQ5pro. I recently took delivery in December and right on queue the clouds have been pretty constant since. I am fortunate enough to live in a fairly rural location class 4 sky area, and have a good observing spot at end of my garden about 100 yards away. My question is rather than dragging all the equipment to my site whenever I see I gap in the clouds would it do the mount any harm to be left in say a garden storage box ( in a bag to keep out moisture) potentially for a period of weeks between imaging sessions ?  I know they can cope with sub zero temperatures during a session, but how might they cope at ambient temperatures for weeks in the winter ? Any thoughts or experience greatly appreciated thanks 

I've seen images where people have made an external mount  from a 6" drain pipe, to bricks pillars and then covered the mount with anything from thick garden refuse bags to upturned plastic dustbins.  Not sure how well the stock tripod would fair if left outside as the screws are probably cheap steel rather than stainless.

• Like 1

I keep my HEQ5 mount outside 24/7 for the past ten years or so.

A towel over the head, a black garbage bag and a patio chair cover held with a bungee cord.

No issues with the mount or tripod but..... the powder coated feet have suffered...

HEQ5_cover.JPG

HEQ5_feet.JPG

My EQ6 has lived under a cover in the garden for over a month now and doesn't appear to suffer too much. The counter weights are clearly going to end up rusty and the (already battered) tripod probably won't last forever, but the mount head is pretty well protected and presumably full of grease where it matters!

• Like 1