Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunt decontacted etalon not covered under warranty?

My Lunt LS50 is still under warranty. As views were not clear, I sent it back to the US. After inspection, Lunt said that the etalon is decontacted and I'll have to pay for repair. The reason they provided was that an etalon can be decontacted only if the scope suffered from a heavy knock, which wont be covered under warranty. I assured them that no such thing has happened to the scope, but to no avail. Can they really skimp on the warranty like this? What recourse do I have ?

Thanks,

Vincent. 

I do not know what the current rules are in the UK, but here in the Netherlands, if a defect emerges after 6 months, the burden of proof rests on the buyer to show that the defect must have been there when he first got the product. If the defect shows up within 6 months, the burden of proof lies with the seller to prove the product wasn't defective, and some form of accident or wrong usage caused the problem.

1 hour ago, vincentnm said:

Can they really skimp on the warranty like this? What recourse do I have ?

Did you buy direct from Lunt USA or from a UK supplier? Your contract is with the company that you bought the item from. What exactly does the small print say about warranties & is your specific fault listed as being excluded from the warranty?

If you bought from a UK  (or EU?) supplier you may have legal rights in addition to the warranty terms. If you bought direct from the USA you will have to rely on reasoned argument and the goodwill of the manufacturer.

On 15/01/2021 at 11:18, vincentnm said:

My Lunt LS50 is still under warranty. As views were not clear, I sent it back to the US. After inspection, Lunt said that the etalon is decontacted and I'll have to pay for repair. The reason they provided was that an etalon can be decontacted only if the scope suffered from a heavy knock, which wont be covered under warranty. I assured them that no such thing has happened to the scope, but to no avail. Can they really skimp on the warranty like this? What recourse do I have ?

Thanks,

Vincent. 

If there's a dent in the ota then that could be classed as evidence of the heavy knock, if there isn't then where's the proof.. did you buy directly or from a vendor.. if you bought from a vendor then it's down to him, as the transaction was between yourselves.. if bought directly then you will have to sort it yourself..