SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Telescope stores are all out of telescopes...

UK folk (and those happy to order from outside the UK too ) would do well to keep an eye on the FLO clearance offers section here , where links to various items returned as unsuitable have small reductions but proper guarantees.

From today's crop,it looks as if the not-quite-right-xmas-gift returns have started to roll in, along with the 'I had no idea that thing was so big !' regret purchases ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

along with the 'I had no idea that thing was so big !' regret purchases ...

Yes that struck me, too. Normally my reaction to a 'scope purchase is "aww, I wish I could have a bigger one" 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Yes that struck me, too. Normally my reaction to a 'scope purchase is "aww, I wish I could have a bigger one" 🙂

It might be a spousely "WTF did you buy that for!"

• Thanks 1

On 01/01/2021 at 08:49, Ande said:

Noticed another trend amongst certain retailers too. The habit of showing “low stocks, please call” or words to that effect. And then when you do call, they immediately tell you they don’t have the item, they don’t even need to check as they know full well they’ve hardly got anything. But then they instantly proceed to try and prise your details out of you so that they can procure an order for when stock does eventually arrive. I don’t appreciate people trying to trick then trap me, and will actively seek to avoid those places in the future.

Sadly this is true with my recent experience. 

I enquired about "low stock, email first" (not the exact words as I dont want to put them in the spotlight) only to be told "They are new, stock hasn't arrived yet" seriously!!!

On 26/12/2020 at 10:44, Aston said:

Hello!

I have had a warehouse type telescope for a couple of years, and used it a lot. This year i saved up some money and had planned to buy a 8" Sky watcher Dobsonian, but to my big disapointment, none of the scandinavian dealers has got any telescopes at all, they are all out! The ones i spoke to said i might get a 8 or 10" dobsonian by the month of june. Its a long wait... Is there situation as bad everywhere? 

Same is true (at least for Celestron) in North America - I parted my old (8" SCT / Advanced VX) out on E-Bay and got more for it used than I paid for it new. Currently waiting on a CPC 1100 HD due to be delivered Wed. Found it at Hight Point Scientific by pure blind luck. Hopefully, the market improves and you are back to seeing through new glass before too much longer.   

Over the past week I've noticed the posting of telescope setups, which have been recently purchased but not used much, starting to build up on e.bay. Some of the pricing is a bit optimistic but I guess they are hoping that the low usage of the equipment plus the shortage of equipment available to buy new might help them to recoup much of their original investment.

If the gear was purchased during the 2nd half of 2020 the "mileage" might well be low - the weather has not been to co-operative :rolleyes2:

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I am patiently waiting for my rig…. 30-40 working days but I trust FLO and they are transparent regarding their stock. Might make some kind of tick off the days of calendar or something… with things the way they are this waiting game is like a rite of passage :) PS - hello everyone, first post. o/ 

1 minute ago, Mctoot said:

I am patiently waiting for my rig…. 30-40 working days but I trust FLO and they are transparent regarding their stock. Might make some kind of tick off the days of calendar or something… with things the way they are this waiting game is like a rite of passage :) PS - hello everyone, first post. o/ 

Welcome.

what have you ordered?

2 minutes ago, Mctoot said:

Remember that Saturday & Sunday don't count as it's working days only. Sorry if you didn't realise this but it's best to know in advance 😂

5 minutes ago, nephilim said:

Remember that Saturday & Sunday don't count as it's working days only. Sorry if you didn't realise this but it's best to know in advance 😂

Oh I know…. It alright I have zen level patience ;) 

4 minutes ago, Mctoot said:

Oh I know…. It alright I have zen level patience ;) 

Best way mate, I've spent the last 9 months slowly building up my rig with many of those weeks spent waiting for stock. It's all worth the wait in the end though.

IMG_20210704_215419_8.jpg

IMG_20210704_192804_6.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Welcome.

what have you ordered?

I have ordered a skywatcher 200pds, EQ6-R PRO Go-To, extra cables and a power supply so far.  Still need a few bits such as a coma corrector, and I am looking for a dedicated camera - so currently trawling through specs and reviews. 

• Like 1

I didn't realise the Ever Given had been impounded by Egypt in a dispute over compensation for blocking the Suez canal. It is being released on Wednesday, with an estimated £775m of goods on board - headed for Rotterdam then Felixstowe. May be a bit more Astro kit arriving soon....