Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Telescope

Hi,

Looking for some advice, I have decided to buy my first scope and have after much reading decided on either the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P or the Skywatcher Heritage 150P Flex Tube.

Is there anywhere that has these in stock and am I on the right track as a first scope?

Location Northern Ireland.

Regards Stuart

Edited by Stuart 1972

Hi Stuart,

You are on the right track - both of those are very good scopes for visual astronomy.

Stock levels are very, very low everywhere though due to an upsurge of interest in astronomy over the past 8 months (Pandemic related I'm sure) and a downsurge of imports from the far east (where most stuff is made) for the same reason.

Good luck if you can find any stocks but I think you may need to be patient.

The 200P is a very popular choice although you might also consider the Bresser dob. More expensive but better build quality and better equipped. The focuser on the 8” is worth the differernce in price alone. Optics are similar to the Skywatcher. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bresser-telescopes/bresser-messier-8-dobsonian-telescope.html

Or

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/bresser-messier-6-inch-planetary-dobsonian.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart 1972 said:

Hi,

Looking for some advice, I have decided to buy my first scope and have after much reading decided on either the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P or the Skywatcher Heritage 150P Flex Tube.

Is there anywhere that has these in stock and am I on the right track as a first scope?

Regards Stuart

Hi Stuart and welcome, looks like we are one year apart..... 👍😀

2 hours ago, Stuart 1972 said:

Hi,

Regards Stuart

I bought the 150 heritage as my first 'scope and am very happy with it. The decider for me over a solid tube dob. was the storage and ease of getting it out into the garden.

The 150 is not too unwieldy or heavy to be very easily moved. Ideally it does need a small sturdy table , box or similar to  stand it on though. Whatever you buy, once you get involved in the hobby you will inevitably want to buy better eyepieces, finders, filters and various bits and pieces, none of which are cheap, so reserving some of your budget for those might be prudent

14 minutes ago, jacobingonzo said:

Well done eagle eyed Tiny Clanger boldly going to help out budding newbies hahahah

hope he catches it before it vanishes!!

J

I give it half an hour on the site, tops , if it's not snapped up by then I'll be hugely surprised !

Heather

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

I bought the 150 heritage as my first 'scope and am very happy with it. The decider for me over a solid tube dob. was the storage and ease of getting it out into the garden.

The 150 is not too unwieldy or heavy to be very easily moved. Ideally it does need a small sturdy table , box or similar to  stand it on though. Whatever you buy, once you get involved in the hobby you will inevitably want to buy better eyepieces, finders, filters and various bits and pieces, none of which are cheap, so reserving some of your budget for those might be prudent

Hi, I have to admit that the 150 does have it's advantages, myself and my wife are going to do the NC500 (https://www.northcoast500.com) in May or June so that would be very suitable to put in the motorhome.

10 hours ago, johninderby said:

The 200p. shows in stock at a German dealer but the price. 🙀🙀🙀

https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/skywatcher-dobson-telescope-n-200-1200-skyliner-classic-dob/p,4440

Shameless profiteering, IMO; look at this offer of a reliable retailer:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1992_Skywatcher-Skyliner-200P---Classic-8--f-6-Parabolic-Dobsonian.html

19 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

Feb 2021 will be the earliest date when these SW and Bresser dobs are back in stock. It's been quoted by many suppliers including FLO.

Unless someone absolutely must have the scope before Christmas, he/she shouldn't be paying for the extra premium charged by astroshop.eu

• Like 1

Supply and demand! That old school economic model of the world that seems to be forgotten. If you have it and a lot want it up the price.... it’s called capitalism.

We all have a choice, if you feel offended by blatant profiteering DO NOT BUY IT. If it doesn’t matter to you then buy it.

I will not buy an inflated product unless it is something that leaves me hungry. I will say on behalf of the consumer, those establishments that profiteer from a time of loss and financial pain, I HAVE A LONG MEMORY and the short term gains will not be beneficial for long term growth.

Marvin

• Like 3