Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

recommendation needed for cleaning the glass ...

Isopropyl alcohol is a powerful substance, I used it in model making to remove glue for one thing, I would not put it anywhere near my telescope optics. I think you have already been given good advice for the correct cleaning fluid and fingers crossed it does the job. The general advice given when cleaning is to avoid using circular motion and instead start from the centre and work out in straight spoke lines.

Hope it works out.

• Like 1

I've used IPA on photographic lenses for years without issue, it's a fairly mild solvent and won't harm coatings, just don't flood it on. It's the basis of many optical cleaning solutions anyway. I think a lot depends on what you were trying to clean off - greasy or not? Dust should always be blown off as much as possible and only use soft, lint-free cloths. Probably preaching to the choir here though!

EDIT: dilute white vinegar is also something I use. Just not the malted or wine-derived sort!

Edited by wulfrun

I start with one of those squeezable puffers to blow away anything loose, then a brush that retracts like a pen,  These 2 items are available in kits on Amazon very cheaply.

Then I use Zeiss Lens Wipes.  They're individually sealed in small packets and so don't dry out.  Most importantly though, unlike a cloth, they're always clean.  I bought them in a box of 200 off Amazon for a tenner. 

• Like 1

On 15/12/2020 at 00:50, rohanpai said:

Got these streak on the glass when trying to clean it with isopropyl alcohol

The grease from your hands will transfer to any cloth then onto the optics, try to use a brand new cloth (with gloves) or use wipes and allow a little time for the cleaning fluid to completely dry/evaporate then "if" you see any residue give a little buff with a dry unused part of the cloth.

I've had best results using wipes rather than the Baader wonder fluid.

• Like 1