NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wishlist (don't show your husband/wife/partner/bank manager)

Mr Thingy

57 minutes ago, SteveNickolls said:

I've already too many ways to observe and image the night sky but I can't buy a clear night with the guarantee it will remain clear. So my Christmas wish is for some clear, dark nights which won't cost anything.

Cheers,
Steve

Maybe emigrating to Spain should be on our wishlists? 🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Thingy said:

Maybe emigrating to Spain should be on our wishlists? 🤔

Why is Spain any better. I am just 100kms short of the Pyrenees and my skies are zero, for now nearly two months.

There are a few Spanish members and I am sure sure that one has something like the following as a signature. “From the all the all too often cloudy central Spain”.

I am 1000 KLM’s  south of the UK and the weather has been awfull. To put it into perspective, I have not been able to do any winter observing and we are only a little over three months from the clock change! 

Marvin

11 hours ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Why is Spain any better. I am just 100kms short of the Pyrenees and my skies are zero, for now nearly two months.

There are a few Spanish members and I am sure sure that one has something like the following as a signature. “From the all the all too often cloudy central Spain”.

I am 1000 KLM’s  south of the UK and the weather has been awfull. To put it into perspective, I have not been able to do any winter observing and we are only a little over three months from the clock change! 

Marvin

Off to the Canary Islands instead then 😁

• Like 1

I have a wishlist that mutates between visual and AP every few months. Currently it includes:

Second Tripod so I can set up for visual and AP simultaneously.

Ha filter.

Zhongyi Mitakon 135/f2.8 lens.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ags said:

I have a wishlist that mutates between visual and AP every few months. Currently it includes:

Second Tripod so I can set up for visual and AP simultaneously.

Ha filter.

Zhongyi Mitakon 135/f2.8 lens.

I'm pretty much the same. My AP rig should be up and running next week when my HEQ5 is expected, then I will be operational for both visual and AP 😁

It's eyepieces that explode my list when I am in visual mode - and I don't even look at the expensive stuff. For visual my list looks something like:

A lot of Vixen SLVs.

ES 11mm 82 degree

ES 16mm 68 degree

A couple of Baader Q Turrets.

A 70mm ED scope.

This would complete my visual dream machine: C6 and small frac mounted side by side on a giro-style mount. The turrets allow quick changes of eyepieces without disturbing the delicate Giro balance, and allows going to very high mags without also risking losing the target.

• Like 1

No need to hide the bills, as the other half has already given the green light to knocking down an old garage to make way for a new workshop with one end a dedicated obsi. I think once I have that built and I’m ‘in’ I’ll have a clearer idea of future wants/needs/unnecessarily large astro investments. That being said, I’d pay handsomely to have a big bag of patience delivered next Friday to properly learn PI processing.

Noddy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

We all pay for it in the long run lol

Haha. Very true. Fortunately the old garage is a bit of an eye sore so we’re both keen to have everything looking nice and tidy for folks coming round in the summer...if they actually can. Plus she’s got the added bonus of when it’s built, all my astro gear and tools will have a permanent home not permanently in my home! Negotiations were pretty straightforward given she loves going away somewhere warm with her pals. 🤔

• Like 2