SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wishlist (don't show your husband/wife/partner/bank manager)

Mr Thingy

I've got a nice visual line-up, so would only add say a 190MN (for sharp images of really tight doubles), and a dedicated solar 'scope.

But above all - a remote cottage in a very dark location where I can see some of the wonders which elude me here in suburban north Merseyside!

Doug.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

I am with Moonshed in that a permanent setup (obvs) would be nice but where I live it isn't practical (or really affordable).

I have a great main viewing setup with high end glass but my other glass I use with the mak, frac and P-DS is all fairly mid range stuff but it does the job.

However if it was money is no problem option I could see most of it easily replaced with televue Delites and Delos or maybe Nikon Nav SW eyepieces. 

Oh I might think about eye surgery to remove my astigmatism

I am so with you on removing astigmatism! I find my specs get in the way when looking through the eyepiece but essential for everything else, but they can be a real nuisance, especially when fogging up!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

I am so with you on removing astigmatism! I find my specs get in the way when looking through the eyepiece but essential for everything else, but they can be a real nuisance, especially when fogging up!

My own comment has actually pushed me to enquire again. Last time I did the treatment was cost prohibitive.

However I know there have been many advances in the treatment pushing prices down, so I am looking into it again. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

My own comment has actually pushed me to enquire again. Last time I did the treatment was cost prohibitive.

However I know there have been many advances in the treatment pushing prices down, so I am looking into it again. 

All I can add, is that when I went for an assessment about 20 years ago, a large national chain whose name escapes me, I was told my astigmatism could not be fixed by their laser eye surgery. We can expect that many advances will have been made since then, but then we have all got older too.

• Like 2

Not a lot I really need, but I have an automated cover on order for the ODK.

Beyond that I may be looking at a couple of QHY 268 cameras, a colour for the 80 mm f/4.4 and a mono plus filters for the 130 f/7. Unfortunately Chroma are about to get a whole lot more expensive and I don't want to compromise if I can help it.

Longer term I would like to automate the setup on the platform, using the experience gained from building the obsy.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about my collection of equipment and guess I'm pretty happy with my scopes and eyepieces so just two items that are seriously on my wish list:

1) Rowan AZ100 with the bells and whistles (encoders, Nexus DSC, Clamps, etc)

2) Berlebach Planet

Ade

• Like 2

oh boy, where to start 😆

highest on my list is a premium mount with 50kg payload, would be nice not to count the kg's anymore and be future proof.

Would be nice to find a good detailed review/test of the EQ8-R(h), seems to me there are none, other option is a Fornax 52 but same story almost no review's and a GM2000 comes with a divorce for sure.

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2020 at 14:46, Moonshed said:

I wonder if we could ever be satisfied?

That's a good point! My "wishlist" could cost £5k to £10k. It's more of a dream list, not sure I will actually be able to add any of them. I'm currently out of work and the astro budget stands at £0.00. I have to sell first to buy anything, and there's not much I fancy selling.

On the plus, I am lucky that I am very well set up for all my hobbies. My astro gear works pretty well for my needs, I feel very fortunate to have it, and I am delighted with most of my gear.

Thinking about it, what I would most benefit from currently would be a right-angle finder. I am struggling with the straight through finder on my dob at times, performing various yoga moves!

Edited by Luke
  • Like 1

I really dont need anything else. What I have, I rarely use. The one thing that has been on my mind for a few years now is a binoviewer. It's about the only thing I've been wanting to try. 

Maybe, I'll drop a few hints at Lorna because my birthday is in March and she likes astronomy too. It would be a gift for us to share.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I really dont need anything else. What I have, I rarely use. The one thing that has been on my mind for a few years now is a binoviewer. It's about the only thing I've been wanting to try. 

Maybe, I'll drop a few hints at Lorna because my birthday is in March and she likes astronomy too. It would be a gift for us to share.

Ah yes, binoviewers. I know very little about the benefits (apart from the obvious) and limitations of them but they do seem interesting. 

I presume they are good for brighter objects - planets, moon, etc - but less so for faint DSOs.

I better add some to my wishlist 😁

Edited by Mr Thingy

3 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

The reason I want to try a binoviewer is because it seems more natural to use both eyes at the same time  rather than close one and squint. 

I cant view with one eye, tried it and the image just seems to become washed out / white after 10-20 seconds.  It's weird but it's like when my single eye is focused on the image, then it starts to become invisible.  I find with binoviewing I dont have this issue.

• Like 1

BVs are great.  Usually need some fiddling involving taking extension tubes out.  And of course, you need matching EP pairs.  But the view of the Moon knocks your socks off for clarity and detail and the apparent 3D effect.  Well worth adding to the list!

Doug.

• Like 1

I am sometimes surprised by how little some people need to fulfill their dreams. On the other side I am very respectful to anyone who wants that small upgrade or small thing to make the difference and nothing more

I, on the other hand have a grand plan. After spending seven years pulling a stone ruin out of the ground and turning it into a house far too big for my wife and I, I have received the official blessing.

I have no idea how this came about, but my amazing wife of twenty years said. ‘Let’s downsize’ smaller, cheaper to buy, cheaper to run and you can build that obsy and get a dedicated imaging rig and have enough for a big Dob!!!

Was I dreaming? Have I been hanging out with #bukko to often? Cannot be a dream as my last one had a giant hedgehog appear in the garden and eat my Astro kit.

If all goes to plan (🤮) then  ROR obs CEM 70, possibly a ten inch RC, mono camera, LRGB and as I am definitely going to run out of funds I am planning on building my own 14 inch tt Dob and some nice eye pieces.

Just a thought..... do you think she wants me out of the house at any cost? 

Marvin

• Like 2

On 11/12/2020 at 10:48, tooth_dr said:

My wishlist:

ZWO2600MC

2" NBX Nebula Filter

QHY268M

New USB3 PC for observatory

Possibly a faster triplet scope around 500-550mm FL

Cant believe I'm coming back to my list already - only two items now outstanding 😇 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

I am sometimes surprised by how little some people need to fulfill their dreams. On the other side I am very respectful to anyone who wants that small upgrade or small thing to make the difference and nothing more

I, on the other hand have a grand plan. After spending seven years pulling a stone ruin out of the ground and turning it into a house far too big for my wife and I, I have received the official blessing.

I have no idea how this came about, but my amazing wife of twenty years said. ‘Let’s downsize’ smaller, cheaper to buy, cheaper to run and you can build that obsy and get a dedicated imaging rig and have enough for a big Dob!!!

Was I dreaming? Have I been hanging out with #bukko to often? Cannot be a dream as my last one had a giant hedgehog appear in the garden and eat my Astro kit.

If all goes to plan (🤮) then  ROR obs CEM 70, possibly a ten inch RC, mono camera, LRGB and as I am definitely going to run out of funds I am planning on building my own 14 inch tt Dob and some nice eye pieces.

Just a thought..... do you think she wants me out of the house at any cost? 

Marvin

Fantastic! You really must tell us your persuasion methods 😁.

Enjoy planning and building your Obsy. Do you have a design in mind? I imagine many of us have already designed a few in our heads!

Edited by Mr Thingy