NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which telescope?

Hi, 

I want to buy my partner a telescope for Xmas and have done some research but every telescope I choose seems to be out of stock. 

Could anyone please point me in the right direction? I want the best scope for under £200 to see moon and planets etc. I live in a town so there is light pollution. 

Thanks

Edited by Ladynat999

Hi, welcome to the forum.

If by "the right direction" you mean that secret stash of astro equipment that the suppliers have been hiding away, then I'm afraid I can't help.
Covid has had a double whammy effect on our hobby this year: the manufacturing and supply chains have been hit, and the increased number of people at home twiddling their thumbs has boosted the numbers taking up the pursuit.

Our sponsor FLO has a page of telescopes that are currently in stock, but that's showing just two at the moment!  I expect all the other suppliers are in the same boat unless they got lucky. I would advise against buying on the general purpose web sites unless the trader is a known quantity.

You said you had done some research - can you share anything more specific about the kind of thing you have been trying to track down? It's possible that some members may be able to suggest similar alternatives that could be available.

Another possibility is second hand. You may feel uncomfortable about that if you're not experienced, especially if you can't see the item in person. Astronomers generally look after their kit very well, and if you find something from someone with a decent pedigree, on a site like this one, it's probably OK. There's a for sale section here. The other possibility is that FLO have been selling off some returns they've accumulated this year. Most of these have been almost as new. I see they're still trickling in some items still, but I don't know if they've still got any whole scopes. If you know roughly what you're after, it might be worth dropping them an email to see what they might have, they are very helpful.

Edited by Zermelo
  • Like 2

With Xmas approaching, a lot of people here are posting what is basically the same question - how to choose a great gift telescope without spending a lot of money.  The reply to each is much the same - read the replies to similar posts and look on the site of forum sponsor FLO at their beginners' telescopes, so you can see what a good beginner telescope looks like (even if it is out of stock).

10 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

With Xmas approaching, a lot of people here are posting what is basically the same question - how to choose a great gift telescope without spending a lot of money.  The reply to each is much the same - read the replies to similar posts and look on the site of forum sponsor FLO at their beginners' telescopes, so you can see what a good beginner telescope looks like (even if it is out of stock).

Yes Geoff, possibly a sticky required.

I see that the link in John's post here is now blind, but is it the same article that is also here?
If so, it would be worth changing that link, as the S&T article has onward links to telescope buying guides that might answer some of the questions.   

Hi 

I think I would look at getting a planisphere, very tactile, interesting and help learn the sky. If the hobby bites then could help contribute to a telescope your partner then decides to buy 

Other suppliers exist

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Planisphere-Latitude-51-5-North/dp/1849074852/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=planisphere&qid=1607423674&sr=8-2

In lieu of a telescope once stock becomes available, how about a nice pair of astro-friendly binoculars, a planisphere, red light torch, and a guide book or two.

There's a lot you can see with a simple and robust pair of binoculars such as these Helios 7x50 (which I hear is an excellent brand), mount them on a suitable camera tripod or monopod (perhaps with a ball head), sit back in a comfy recliner and enjoy the night sky!  Some people mainly do binocular astronomy, it's a popular branch as it requires very little kit and almost no setup time.

Edited by jonathan
  • Like 3

Thankyou for the replies everybody, I realise after reading back my post I was very vague. 

Basically, the more I research the more confused I am about which telescope to choose! 

I was originally set on celestron astromaster 130eq, then further research led me to skywatcher explorer 130 EQ2, but after reading posts on here I read about Dobsonian mounts which led me to different scopes and more confusion!!!! 

If Xmas is impossible, which it probably is, I still want a scope at some point soon but I just don't know which the best would be for me for a) ease, enjoyment and the best view of planets and nebula in a fairly light polluted area. 

I would occasionally take this to my mums in Wales which has far less light pollution. 

1 minute ago, Ladynat999 said:

I've seen this one in stock online.....£229.

Is this worth it?

Dorr Danubia Delta 30 114mm Catadioptric Reflector Telescope

Be aware that this is what's known as a 'Bird-Jones' design. The hint is that the tube is shorter than its focal length  (1000mm) and it's called a catadioptric when it looks like a reflector. 

The primary mirror is spherical and there is a correcting lens built into the focuser, to fix the spherical aberration caused by the mirror shape. This isn't a problem in itself, but these starter' type scopes are built to a budget and the saving is in the quality of the optics. I have used one and it's ok - but that's about it. Another acquaintance has one and it's awful. Everything is distorted and it's very hard to collimate accurately.

I'd say it's OK for a starter scope, but you will be limited in future upgrades (such as eyepieces) as you will be stuck with the correcting lens in the focuser - which is a bit like a cheap barlow lens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ladynat999 said:

I've seen this one in stock online.....£229.

Is this worth it?

Dorr Danubia Delta 30 114mm Catadioptric Reflector Telescope

Seems to me a dob would be better for that kind of money, if you can stretch the budget a bit more.  I have no experience with Bresser but I trust First Light Optics not to stock a turkey (even at Christmas).

Edited by jonathan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello in Nuneaton ! You are between my true home (Brum) and my current one (just outside Leicester)

To the surprise of absolutely no-one who reads these threads, I'd suggest you pre order a SkyWatcher heritage 150p dob. for around £200.

It is easy to store (it closes down to half length), not too heavy to easily carry, simple to use , and is well thought of as a 'grab and go' device even by folk with more expensive instruments. It was my first serious telescope 6 months ago . and I love it.

I previously used a jones-bird celestron 114 eq which I inherited , and the difference is like going from a plastic disposable camera to a Nikon DSLR. Don't waste your money on a j-b , it will be a disappointment.

Heather

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With the stocks so low currently I honestly feel that it might be better to defer the purchase of a scope for a few months and perhaps go for some good books and / or a pair of decent 10x50 binoculars to continue to feed the interest ?

What is still left in stock are probably not the best choices and you could end up being disappointed rather than encouraged by the results you get.

Edited by John
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Hello in Nuneaton ! You are between my true home (Brum) and my current one (just outside Leicester)

To the surprise of absolutely no-one who reads these threads, I'd suggest you pre order a SkyWatcher heritage 150p dob. for around £200.

It is easy to store (it closes down to half length), not too heavy to easily carry, simple to use , and is well thought of as a 'grab and go' device even by folk with more expensive instruments. It was my first serious telescope 6 months ago . and I love it.

I previously used a jones-bird celestron 114 eq which I inherited , and the difference is like going from a plastic disposable camera to a Nikon DSLR. Don't waste your money on a j-b , it will be a disappointment.

Heather

Is this the flexitube one?

17 minutes ago, Ladynat999 said:

Is this the flexitube one?

Yes. When I was looking for a 'scope, I saw the solid tube 150 dob version as my only viable option ( as far as cost for me as a beginner was concerned) but sadly had to discount it, as I wouldn't have room to store it, and suspected I would probably find it unwieldy to carry far , even tho' the tube and base can be carried separately. Then the brand new 150 heritage flexitube came out. I'd read a lot of good things about the heritage 130 , so ordered the 150 straight away.

Yo use it, ideally you need a solid , non wobbly low garden table or something similar to sit it on, but for me  that's a small price to pay for the easy storage and transportation.

Heather

• Like 2

FLO are showing the Bresser 150 planetary dob as in stock in 7-10 days, and it shows up in their new 'In Stock Telescopes' section. It's a little bit over-budget, but worth consideration. However, you might need to confirm with FLO whether it can be delivered with Santa.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/bresser-messier-6-inch-planetary-dobsonian.html

Which is best out of these? 

Skywatcher Heritage 114P Virtuoso Telescope

Skywatcher Skyhawk 114 Telescope

Skywatcher Heritage 130P Flextube Dobsonian Telescope

The 130p I'm guessing, but that one isn't in stock and it would be a shame to miss out for Xmas. Still, if the difference is massive, I'll preorder.

I appreciate there are better ones out there, but I don't want to wait til Feb and £299 unfortunately is too far over budget atm

Preferred order

1. Heritage 130

2. Virtuoso 114

3. Skyhawk 114.

The Virtuoso 114 (114/500) has a parabolic mirror, whereas the Skyhawk is a Jones-Bird reflector (114/1000) and a spherical mirror.

ps the Danubia 114 and the Skyhawk 114 were probably made on different production lines in the same factory.

I have the heritage 130p and the virtuoso base (though I use other things on that).

The heritage 130p is a good telescope and the OTA has the flexibility to go on other mounts. I find I can work with the focuser. I either use it with the mount on the floor and I sit on a chair or sometimes I stick the mount on an upturned bucket.

The virtuoso tracks well and can be upgraded to a goto either by handset or wifi dongle. The mount needs a table or chair to sit on. I run mine from a liFEpo4 battery now.

Thankyou :)

Which is best out of these? 

Skywatcher Heritage 114P Virtuoso Telescope

Skywatcher Skyhawk 114 Telescope

Skywatcher Heritage 130P Flextube Dobsonian Telescope

The 130p I'm guessing, but that one isn't in stock and it would be a shame to miss out for Xmas. Still, if the difference is massive, I'll preorder.

I appreciate there are better ones out there, but I don't want to wait til Feb and £299 unfortunately is too far over budget atm