Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Belated Solar FD from the 26th, 27th, and 29th November 2020

Nigella Bryant

I seem to be working backwards with my full disk images from November, lol. Lunt 60mm DS and Zwo Asi 178mm. False colour added in PS CS2. Thought I'd post three days sequence from the 26th, 27th and 29th. You can see the progression of spots and plage areas. These images concentrate on the disk rather then with proms and the others processed to reveal proms over the same period. 

20201126-1317UTellabryant-col.jpg

20201127-1245UTellabryant-fd.jpg

20201129-1333UT-1-ellabryant-fd.jpg

20201126-1317UTellabryant.jpg

20201127-1245UTellabryant.jpg

20201129-1333UTellabryant.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Super images Nigella, great to see what a DS scope can do.
Just looked them up and nearly fell off my chair, blimey that DS adds a bit to the price!
I will enjoy looking at your images all the more.

It certainly does, I was fortunate enough to get both the scope and double stack etalon second hand so it was less than half the new cost. 

• Like 1

Just now, astro_al said:

Thanks @Nigella Bryant  good to know. Any Newton’s rings to deal with? I think I saw something that tilts the camera in one of you equipment images. 

Hiya, yes I use the modern astronomy tilt adapter with a direct couple to the 178mm. Never had any issues after. There was some slight indications of NR's when I first used the camera. 

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately my driven mount is down the bottom of the garden and doesn’t really see any sun this time of year. The grab and go mount I take out the front is not driven. I did notice that you are using a Solar Quest mount with your LS60DS. I believe that has a 4KG payload so was thinking it would struggle with the Lunt, I guess not judging by your excellent images. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, astro_al said:

Unfortunately my driven mount is down the bottom of the garden and doesn’t really see any sun this time of year. The grab and go mount I take out the front is not driven. I did notice that you are using a Solar Quest mount with your LS60DS. I believe that has a 4KG payload so was thinking it would struggle with the Lunt, I guess not judging by your excellent images. 

Hiya, yes, I always use the solarquest mount with the Lunt 60mm DS. Very capable mount for the scope. Had no issues except some drift if larger clouds obscure the sun. It's easily put back on track using the mounts buttons. I wish it had WiFi or the ability for a hand control but apart from that it's great. It track's for hour's if the clouds aren't an issue on more sunny day's like yesterday here. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...