Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42 - Results at last.

Dave

Phew!! The EQ6 is finally performing as expected.

Thanks to a faulty extension cable, I have been having all sorts of problems with it up to now.

Now I have set the scope up without this lead in place, it behaves impeccably.

Here is a result of M42 and the Running Man Nebula taken through my Skywatcher Equinox 80mm on the mount.

20x1 minute sub-frames.

11996_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Need to work a bit more on this, but certainly showing real promise if I collect more data.

It's a Nikon D300 DSLR.

I bought a stronger blower yesterday to get rid of that dust on the sensor, so hopefully my next efforts will be better.

I was really pleased considering the awful light pollution I have.

Must get more data next time too.

Very nice :(

Glad to hear the EQ6 is back on its feet after its power problems!

I think your right about crossing fingers and praying - I do it every night I go out! Although with practice and a routine things do seem to be getting more reliable (or maybe less PEBKAC's!)

Good capture.

Cheers,

Richie

I wondering is the long subs are the way to go... Its great to see that the mount and camera can do them but under our less than ideal skies I have cut back and tend to keep the subs betwen 3-6 minutes but will occasionally do longer at lower ISO when theres no risk of the ocassional cloud drifting across the FOV.... I preffer to throw away the od 6 minutes ub ratehr than a 20 minute one...

Stacking loads of medium lrnght subs also helps with the "random" noise elements...

I wonder what others think...?

Billy...

Longer subs = more detail caught, but also more noise to contend with... however, short subs + stacking reduces the Signal to noise ratio.

Theres an interesting article here (pdf) which graphs the benefits of the 2 methods...

I think I am going to try sticking to 5 minute subs from now on - just lots of em!

Cheers,

Richie

Thats a cracking start Dave! Really well done. Nice when you get over problems.

Peter, its 20 x 1 minute, not 1 x 20min :( I did take some 25 min subs of M42 a while back, using the cooled camera, but the LP gradient was very very noticeable, it seemed to me, more so than with 25 x 1 min stacked subs.

Archived