Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is skywatcher explorer 150p for astrophotography

Hi all,  i am a newbie astronomer that im looking to buy my first telescope for visual and AP. I ve come with an idea of buying a skywatcher explorer 150p. I know that AP does require an EQ mount but i dont think that a classic EQ mount is suitabla for DSO imaging. My question is: Is skywatcher explorer 150p for astrophotography?                                                                                                                            

Edited by AstroNtinos

I think Skywatcher also do the 150PDS. This is the same scope but optimised for AP. I believe it has a larger secondary mirror to fully illuminate the field on the sensor. You can still use it for visual too.

7 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

I think Skywatcher also do the 150PDS. This is the same scope but optimised for AP. I believe it has a larger secondary mirror to fully illuminate the field on the sensor. You can still use it for visual too.

What do you mean by that?

In a classical Newtonian often there is not enough infocus travel to achieve focus with a DSLR necessitating the use of a Barlow (which is not ideal for astrophotography since it will make the scope slower) .  The 150PDS has the secondary mirror moved a bit closer to the primary which increases the distance to prime focus outside the tube, so there is space to insert filters, correctors etc. 

Since the secondary is now closer to the primary it needs to be a bit larger to collect the cone of light from the primary. I think visually there is should be very small difference between the two scopes but for astrophotography the 150PDS is the winner.

• Like 3

To be clear: 150p is ideal for visual astronomy, you can at a pinch use it for imaging but there will be compromises. 

For astrophotography get the skywatcher 150pds version. Here is a link describing the scope

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p3886_Skywatcher-Explorer-150PDS---6--f-5-Newton---2--Dual-Speed.html

A comparison between 150p and 150pds can be found here

So we've came to a conclusion that the 150p version is not for AP. Well never mind I think I'll get a dobsonian for visual and planetary that I have read that its possible. I have also read that if you are planning to do AP in the future I can take out the dob tube and insert it in an EQ mount. I saw some people in the forum doing that.

Edited by AstroNtinos

• 1 month later...

Hi

On my skywatcher explorer 150p eq3-2 i have achieved ficus with my dslr by unscrewing the 1.25inch focuser which is around 1.5 inches long and then screwed my t ring to the draw tube on the scope then attach my dslr and achieved many good images. 

Moon 9-1-21.jpg

M42-6-12-20--8-secs-fin.jpg

Moon 26-11-20.jpg

Edited by LeeHore7
Spelling
  • Like 3