Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 1499

Rodd

One of the first targets I wanted to try after I got my FSQ 106 back was the California nebula.  The FOV with the FSQ and .6x reducer with the ASI 1600 is the largest I can generate.  I was never happy with my previous attempt, and I wanted to get it all.  I failed in the last detail--the darned thing is HUGE.  But I certainly got more then before...almost all.  Seeing was good throughout. 

I added a crop of some of the dark structures in the nebula that I think makes an interesting stand alone image.

FSQ 106 with .6x reducer and asi 1600 Ha 63 300 sec; OIII 62 300 sec; SII 30 300 sec (12.9 hours)

edit: I realize that the cropped version is nothing more than a portion of the first image at full resolution--so its sort of unnecessary.  Saves teh trouble of having to go to full res I guess.  

x.thumb.jpg.e14df2eeda4b1249a99730026e26cb7f.jpg

Y.thumb.jpg.3cd4d7f1ae540e2bfdf082e0521f9e6a.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 20

44 minutes ago, Rodd said:

the darned thing is HUGE.  But I certainly got more then before...almost all.

Time for a Mosaic?

I've seen quite a few images of the California Nebula over the years, but this version is definitely one of the best out there. I love the detail and the contrast. Those dark nebulae within the CN are rarely this clear.

👍

Edited by wimvb

5 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Time for a Mosaic?

I've seen quite a few images of the California Nebula over the years, but this version is definitely one of the best out there. I love the detail and the contrast. Those dark nebulae within the CN are rarely this clear.

👍

Thanks Wim--that means a lot.  I have played around with the mosaic tool in Telescopius for planning.  4 panels would capture it all nicely.  If I had more clear nights I wouldn't hesitate.  But sometimes a single panel takes me a month to finish (or more).  I deiced to do a mosaic with Sh2 240 because that will be a bicolor image (like the Veil)--so less data to worry about

I fully agree with Dave and Wim - you captured more details than most in this image! You often do that so I expect that even if your sky is light polluted it is often very steady. What is usually you guiding RMS?

2 hours ago, andrew s said:

That's a fine image and I love the colour.  You can feel the nebula evaporating from the emission from what I assume are embedded stars. Looks like there is a bubble centre stage in your crop. Regards Andrew 

Thanks Andrew

3 hours ago, gorann said:

I fully agree with Dave and Wim - you captured more details than most in this image! You often do that so I expect that even if your sky is light polluted it is often very steady. What is usually you guiding RMS?

Thanks Gorann.  It’s hard to say.  I image with 3.8 um pixels at 2.46 arcsec/pix with the fsq.  I guide with pixels that are not square (lodestar 2x). I forget what the pixel size is but the pixel scale is 6.7 or 6.9  I think. The errors on the x and y axis range from 0.02 to 0.15 with periodic bumps to 0.25.

2 hours ago, andrew s said:

Looks like there is a bubble centre stage in your crop. Regards Andrew

I’m not sure about that, but there is a bubble in the full view. It’s in the upper right corner, and Rodd captured only a quarter of it. This image shows more of the structure.

https://www.astrobin.com/nvnfw5/?nc=all

10 minutes ago, wimvb said:

I’m not sure about that, but there is a bubble in the full view. It’s in the upper right corner, and Rodd captured only a quarter of it. This image shows more of the structure.

https://www.astrobin.com/nvnfw5/?nc=all

Never noticed that before.  Not sure I would classify it as a bubble....it is reminiscent of one though. 

25 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Never noticed that before.  Not sure I would classify it as a bubble....it is reminiscent of one though. 

It’s very weak, and probably gas being pushed out by a stellar wind. It has a closer resemblance to the soap bubble near the crescent neb, than it has to the bubble nebula.

17 minutes ago, wimvb said:

It’s very weak, and probably gas being pushed out by a stellar wind. It has a closer resemblance to the soap bubble near the crescent neb, than it has to the bubble nebula.

If it is, it is huge.  Not convinced it is not just a trick of the eye....a slightly curved edge of a nebula, a slightly arcing dark structure--ends up looking bubble-ish.  It would be interesting to get to the bottom of it

25 minutes ago, johnrt said:

Very impressive, I've not visited the DSO imaging forum for a few years and you have certainly upped your game while I have been away. Beautiful image.

Thanks John, its reassuring to hear you say that.  

4 hours ago, Rodd said:

If it is, it is huge.  Not convinced it is not just a trick of the eye....a slightly curved edge of a nebula, a slightly arcing dark structure--ends up looking bubble-ish.  It would be interesting to get to the bottom of it

Have a look at this

2 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Have a look at this

There is a boundary that appears like a bubble, definitely--but it does not continue past the ends of the arc that is visible.  So, what I am asking is...is the "bubble" really there, or is that curved line that looks like a bubble a manifestation of coincidental geometries.  

@Rodd Do you mind me asking a question?  Last night I got some good quality Ha on the same target (very similar view and framing too!) and it clouded over before I could get the Sii and Oiii.  If you were to take this target again what would your suggestions be to capture the Sii and Oiii?? I am asking as a few people have said dont bother with Oiii as it almost completely absent!

Thanks in advance.

32 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

@Rodd Do you mind me asking a question?  Last night I got some good quality Ha on the same target (very similar view and framing too!) and it clouded over before I could get the Sii and Oiii.  If you were to take this target again what would your suggestions be to capture the Sii and Oiii?? I am asking as a few people have said dont bother with Oiii as it almost completely absent!

Thanks in advance.

Look at my SHO palette image—all the blue is OIII.  It is definitely faint but it is there. I would collect a lot of OIII. 

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

There is a boundary that appears like a bubble, definitely--but it does not continue past the ends of the arc that is visible.  So, what I am asking is...is the "bubble" really there, or is that curved line that looks like a bubble a manifestation of coincidental geometries.  

If stellar wind pushes matter, there nust be matter to push. On the side of the nebula there obviously is, but not so much on the opposite side. So you wouldn’t expect a structure there either.

9 minutes ago, wimvb said:

If stellar wind pushes matter, there nust be matter to push. On the side of the nebula there obviously is, but not so much on the opposite side. So you wouldn’t expect a structure there either.

That makes sense.