NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

November 23, 2020: The sun is definitely waking up

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Just had a short solar H-alpha session during my morning tea break, and was treated to a nice detailed view of the big AR just below the centre of the disk, showing a big sunspot and some trailing curling swirls of bright plage on band, and a series of smaller sunspots off band. More surprisingly, I spotted another AR, which looks even bigger on the south-eastern limb, with a sizeable sunspot leading the charge, and an even bigger one just on the limb. Dark filaments and bright plage surround them. I also spotted a few small proms on the southern limb. Pity I don't have any imaging gear at work, but still a very ice visual session with the Coronado SolarMax-II 60

• Like 5

It was a real treat this morning when I looked in white light to be greeted by that big spot on the limb! In h-alpha there was a reasonable sort of double prom not too far away. And in the area behind the big spot were a couple of stumpy bits sticking out.

It's very exciting to be early in the new solar cycle with a decent spot hopefully a taste of things to come!

🎉

Edited by Luke

I spotted this on GONG this morning but as usual the part of the sky occupied by the Sun was cloudy.  Not long after I got to the Astronomy Centre the Sun appeared, I quickly fired up my solar telescope which has its own observatory and was just centering the image when a huge bank of fog appeared from nowhere and that was that for the day.  No more Sun forecast until Thursday.     ☹️

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

I spotted this on GONG this morning but as usual the part of the sky occupied by the Sun was cloudy.  Not long after I got to the Astronomy Centre the Sun appeared, I quickly fired up my solar telescope which has its own observatory and was just centering the image when a huge bank of fog appeared from nowhere and that was that for the day.  No more Sun forecast until Thursday.     ☹️

I know how you feel Peter.

Just been viewing the Sun with the PST+DS. There is a huge amount of activity around AR2785 and especially AR2786 with bright Plage. We also have AR2783 which has some Plage. In addition there is some small filaments around the surface + some Proms.

This is one of the best views in Ha for some time. Its pretty good in WL as well.

• Like 2