Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 7000 in HOO

AndyThilo

Tried something new this morning. Taken with my 294MC Pro and L-Enhance, I reprocessed for HOO. I say HOO, but it's more SHO, however the Sii channel wasn't used. Any thoughts/opinions?

Processing details:-

After my usual stacking and back ground extraction, I extracted the 3 channels Ha, Oiii and Sii. Sii was thrown away. I then used linear fit to match the Ha levels to the Oiii. I carried out some noise reduction on both Ha and Oiii (Oiii more so as it was noisier. 

I then combined the 2 using pixel math with Ha to Ha, Oiii to Oiii and made a synthetic Siii using 0.2 x Oiii + 0.8 x Ha.

I then stretched the image, did some colour calibration, star reduction, more noise reduction and finally exported to Lightroom as a TIFF.

50578947806_712e334570_b.jpgNGC 7000 HOO 08-11-2020 by Andy Thilo, on Flickr

Edited by AndyThilo
  • Like 13

On 08/11/2020 at 11:12, AndyThilo said:

Thank you

Can you say a little more about the processing?  I have an ASI294MC and a Quad-band filter, so should be able to perform a similar trick?

Edited by AKB
  • Thanks 1

Nice image Andy , I was wondering if you could give me some info about your scope , bortle scale of your area because from what I see unfortunately I can't reach my budget for the Asi2600MC Pro and my next choice is the 294MC Pro....Amazing but I am still surprised by the images I see from this camera !

Edited by Nikolas74
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nikolas74 said:

Was it easy to remove the amp glow ? Was it very annoying ?

Very easy. You just have to take good darks. I put my camera in the fridge with a cap on. Easy to cool without overworking the cooler and completely dark. 

15 minutes ago, Nikolas74 said:

Nice image Andy , I was wondering if you could give me some info about your scope , bortle scale of your area because from what I see unfortunately I can't reach my budget for the Asi2600MC Pro and my next choice is the 294MC Pro....Amazing but I am still surprised by the images I see from this camera !

Scope is a William Optics GT81 with 0.8 reducer/flattener, Bortle 4.

I’m sure the 2600 is a great camera, but the 294 with good calibration files is superb. I’ve recently started doing 5min exposures and it’s even better. 

• Thanks 1

Fridges are quite low humidity. Cold, dry and dark is perfect for making a dark library. I did mine on a cloudy day, 40 each of 30, 60, 90, 120, 180, 240 & 300 secs all at -20, gain 120. I need to do another set really at -10 and 0.