NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eq6 r Pro usb port

solarboy

Hi guys

I have been looking at the new skywatcher eq6-r pro on youtube and noticed there seems to be 2 versions one with a USB port and one without. Just wondering what the usb is for no body on the YouTube videos really explains what the version with the usb is for. Unless I'm missing something. 

Edited by solarboy

It's basically a built in EQ-Direct module so you can connect it to your computer with a USB2 cable and control it using EQMod etc. It appears as a COM port on the PC when connected just as if you were using an Eq-Direct cable connected to the handset port on the mount. I believe it works at a higher baud rate than normal, 115,200 baud, so you need to set that in the COM port settings on the computer and in EQMod setup.

Alan 

The numbering of SW EQ mounts is a maze.....

Numbers/ letters all over the place!

The best I can glean from the alphabet soup is:

-R = Refined (!) includes belt drive and encoders, as well as the USB (EQDir) port

-Rh = as above but with the Renshaw "Home" encoders.

Az- = Belt drive and encoders

• Thanks 1

Yeah,

No encoders......

BUT: SW website says- Using the integrated RS232 port, you can control the telescope from your computer and take advantage of today’s most advanced astronomy software.

The illustration of the SW EQ6Rpro doesn't  show such a usb(?) connection?????????????????

R= Rowan belt derive????

Mine has the USB port. Other than taking a while to get it working with EQMOD the only issue I have is USB cable comes out of the USB port quite easily. Not a major issue but I've had it come out accidently a couple of time. Works perfectly and very handy but given choice I prefer the standard port with eq-direct cable as it clips in. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AbsolutelyN said:

Mine has the USB port. Other than taking a while to get it working with EQMOD the only issue I have is USB cable comes out of the USB port quite easily. Not a major issue but I've had it come out accidently a couple of time. Works perfectly and very handy but given choice I prefer the standard port with eq-direct cable as it clips in. 

they supplied a plastic P clip to tie up the USB cable to stop it falling out

not a great fix tbh

i do only use it for firmware though as I use a Bluetooth dongle to connect to it from astroberry

1 minute ago, CedricTheBrave said:

they supplied a plastic P clip to tie up the USB cable to stop it falling out

not a great fix tbh

i do only use it for firmware though as I use a Bluetooth dongle to connect to it from astroberry

Do they? I must have missed that in the packaging .... 

Edited by AbsolutelyN

On 06/11/2020 at 15:23, AbsolutelyN said:

On 06/11/2020 at 15:23, AbsolutelyN said:

Is that the "little grey plastic"piece I found in the packaging and didn't know what it was? Seems you may have cleared that up for me!😉

Edited by tonylumley

• 6 months later...

Hi 

Could I pick your brains please and regarding the SkyWatcher EQ6-R Pro mounts.

So are you(all) saying it's the case that the latest version of the mount should includes the new additional USB connector ?

OR

Possibly as stated, the latest version comes in several versions, one that happens to have the newer usb connector on the main case ?

I was just wondering is it the situation if it does not have the usb connector then its an older version of the mount?

Thanks in advance

From what I can glean through researching HEQ5 motor boards is that SW appear to be bringing our a new revision of their motor boards, with the new ones based on ARM processors rather than the traditional PIC 16F886's.  These boards also have USB connections that  come up as a Prolific virtual com port when connected to a computer.  What's not clear is if these new boards have the Prolific chipset on board, or the USB connection is direct to the ARM chip and the Prolific chipset is internal to the processor.  The ironic thing is that unless prolific have changed their stance recently and developed drivers to work on the windows 10 kernal, Prolific 230x chipsets have not been supported under windows 10 for at least six or seven years.

Basically, irrespective of the version of mount indicating if encoders are fitted, if it has a B type USB socket it can be directly connected to a computer via a suitable A-B USB cable, and with the required driver (windows) installed and set to 115K baud  rate  applications such as EQMOD or GSS server to control the mount.  If the mount lacks the USB socket then that would indeed suggest that it still uses the PIC based motor board and an EQDIR cable for direct connection, or a PC-DIRECT cable connected to the handset vis a USB/Serial converter is needed to control the mount from the computer.

• Thanks 1