NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Unexpected Mars

Stu

After the wind and rain which has been around for much of the day, the last thing I expected tonight were clear skies. However, it looked promising as darkness fell, and having checked SkySafari, I fancied a decent look at Syrtis Major which was well placed.

It was still a bit windy for the spindly 8” f8, so out came the Heritage 150p on the Ercole/Gitzo combination, becoming my grab and go of choice these days. 24mm Panoptic as a finder and 2 to 4 Nag zoom for higher power. I was very pleased with the views, as I’ve not caught Syrtis Major so far this apparition. Fine focusing is a bit of an art with the plastic helical focuser but with patience it is quite possible to achieve. The Southern polar cap was visible, Syrtis Major and mentioned, Hellas Planitia above it (newt view) and then a distinct split in the dark markings towards the other limb. All in all a very good view.

Popping over to the Moon was just as rewarding, and tonight Mare Crisium looked fantastic on the limb, but it was Petavius which really caught my eye. Lovely fine detail in an around it, I spent quite some time viewing it.

I then decided I wanted a refractor view to compare it with, so out came the Vixen FL102S, with Baader Zeiss Prism and the 3 to 6 Nag zoom. The comparisons are quite interesting! On the Moon I would say the Heritage won, much as it grieves me to say that. It was brighter and showed the fine features just that bit better. I guess that should be expected due to the additional resolution. Actually using the refractor is a more pleasant experience, focusing in particular is much easier to achieve due to the dual speed Moonlight.

Mars was a reversal in most aspects. Contrast against the sky much better due to the unobstructed optics, as you would expect, and the detail just that bit more crisp. The exception was a split feature (shown in John’s excellent sketch in his report tonight in this section), which showed up better in the Newt than the refractor.

A couple of doubles showed the refractor benefits again just to make me feel better (😉), the double double splitting easily despite being low down vs a struggle in the Heritage due to its scruffier star images.

All in all a great session, all packed up now. Amazing how this little newt performs for the money, but equally nice to spend time with the refractor and to catch an aspect of Mars I’ve not seen for a while. Could have observed for much longer but an early start awaits me in the morning.

2415E3E7-932A-4B2C-BE6A-2A61337947D5.jpeg

B5D42007-48C2-43A1-B124-79FCE1217C02.jpeg

749293BA-FBDB-46A4-B61C-2B7518FF4930.jpeg

5B144C73-86F2-45FE-967F-A648A37012F6.jpeg

9EA88BF6-9A84-403C-A980-2C2E42BCDE1A.jpeg

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Stu said:

After the wind and rain which has been around for much of the day, the last thing I expected tonight were clear skies. However, it looked promising as darkness fell, and having checked SkySafari, I fancied a decent look at Syrtis Major which was well placed.

It was still a bit windy for the spindly 8” f8, so out came the Heritage 150p on the Ercole/Gitzo combination, becoming my grab and go of choice these days. 24mm Panoptic as a finder and 2 to 4 Nag zoom for higher power. I was very pleased with the views, as I’ve not caught Syrtis Major so far this apparition. Fine focusing is a bit of an art with the plastic helical focuser but with patience it is quite possible to achieve. The Southern polar cap was visible, Syrtis Major and mentioned, Hellas Planitia above it (newt view) and then a distinct split in the dark markings towards the other limb. All in all a very good view.

Popping over to the Moon was just as rewarding, and tonight Mare Crisium looked fantastic on the limb, but it was Petavius which really caught my eye. Lovely fine detail in an around it, I spent quite some time viewing it.

I then decided I wanted a refractor view to compare it with, so out came the Vixen FL102S, with Baader Zeiss Prism and the 3 to 6 Nag zoom. The comparisons are quite interesting! On the Moon I would say the Heritage won, much as it grieves me to say that. It was brighter and showed the fine features just that bit better. I guess that should be expected due to the additional resolution. Actually using the refractor is a more pleasant experience, focusing in particular is much easier to achieve due to the dual speed Moonlight.

Mars was a reversal in most aspects. Contrast against the sky much better due to the unobstructed optics, as you would expect, and the detail just that bit more crisp. The exception was a split feature (shown in John’s excellent sketch in his report tonight in this section), which showed up better in the Newt than the refractor.

A couple of doubles showed the refractor benefits again just to make me feel better (😉), the double double splitting easily despite being low down vs a struggle in the Heritage due to its scruffier star images.

All in all a great session, all packed up now. Amazing how this little newt performs for the money, but equally nice to spend time with the refractor and to catch an aspect of Mars I’ve not seen for a while. Could have observed for much longer but an early start awaits me in the morning.

2415E3E7-932A-4B2C-BE6A-2A61337947D5.jpeg

B5D42007-48C2-43A1-B124-79FCE1217C02.jpeg

749293BA-FBDB-46A4-B61C-2B7518FF4930.jpeg

5B144C73-86F2-45FE-967F-A648A37012F6.jpeg

9EA88BF6-9A84-403C-A980-2C2E42BCDE1A.jpeg

I'm late to the party stu but what is the FL of your Vixen ? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John said:

Hmmmm ......

Just got to justify a 7th scope to my other half ...... :rolleyes2:

Just pop it in the corner and it looks like a bin 😉.

They are great fun, it wouldn’t show you anything you haven’t already got covered I guess but in terms of convenient and cheap aperture the 150p is unbeatable I think. Easy to take away with you too.

I must make a shroud for mine because I’m sure my breath causes tube currents which affect the views, that and the focuser are the only downsides really. PTFE tape on the focuser tightens it up nicely.

3AF52B01-A377-4662-9C54-BE40E03EC6B5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice post Stu. The write up on Heritage scopes always impresses me, and I've often pondered getting a small one for trips away (when we are next able to escape of course!).

I had my 180 Mak out looking at Mars last night - poor seeing and dew settling everywhere except for the front corrector fortunately. I had a quick attempt at imaging it, although the seeing was too rubbish to get much detail; the image did confirm what I could see visually - a cloud effect around Chryse/Aurorae Sinus. There is a lighter area marked there on maps, so it could just be that although it looked quite striking.

Chris

2020-11-02-2345_2b.png

Edited by chiltonstar

That is a very interesting report @Stu . As you know I love my Heritage 130P which I find great for quick grab and go. Also, I cannot believe the quality of the observing using my Skywatcher 150P which I suppose has the same mirror as the Heritage 150. 

Still not seen Syrtis Major, so far this apparition, so I must check it out over the next few nights. It looks perfectly place about 8pm tonight.

Go on @Johntreat yourself to the Heritage 150 I am sure your better half won't notice.

• Like 3

Nice report Stu, makes me realise what I missed while on a Photography club Zoom meeting.
Wish I had gone out now, forecast says it will be clear tonight, but the clouds at present say otherwise, but 🤞

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

That is a very interesting report @Stu . As you know I love my Heritage 130P which I find great for quick grab and go. Also, I cannot believe the quality of the observing using my Skywatcher 150P which I suppose has the same mirror as the Heritage 150. 

Still not seen Syrtis Major, so far this apparition, so I must check it out over the next few nights. It looks perfectly place about 8pm tonight.

Go on @Johntreat yourself to the Heritage 150 I am sure your better half won't notice.

It’s looking great at the moment Mark, hope you manage to get out and see it. These last two nights are the first time I’ve spotted it this apparition.

The 130 and 150p really are amazing value and great quality. I would recommend them every time for someone starting out for visual and needing something compact and easy to use.

I’ve opted for the 8” f8 tonight, lovely views again. You can see the additional resolution vs last night in the 150p, finer detail visible in the periods of good seeing. As John has said, Syrtis Major looking excellent, very well placed. The Southern polar cap is clear and bright, and I can also see the haze/frosting on the North Pole.

I’m using a Leica Zoom with AP Barcon, giving x180 to x360. Best views probably around x300 unfiltered, although I’ll try the Neodymium filter again in a while to check.

D1C4BD96-D139-41F9-989A-F8C4071B1BAD.jpeg

B3C8CA1F-E989-478B-8EF8-2844CACF3B6C.jpeg

• Like 3