Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Replacement for my old binos

Hi,

I had a pair of Tasco 10x50 binos which I left behind when I moved back to Ireland. They weren,t expensive so I would like go buy either a  7x50 or a new 10 x50 in the same price range, which is 40 to 60 euros.

I am looking at these binos:

Meade Travelview 7x50

Celestron Cometron 7x50

Orion 10x50

Bresser Hunter 10 x 50

All are Porro prisms, all similar prices. 

Should I go with a 10 x 50 or a 7 x 50, and are any of these brands worse or better than the others?

I have a number of types of binoculars, including 7X50 and 10X50s. I tend to use the latter more than the former bins. The difference in magnification makes it more difficult to hold the 10X50s steady, so I mount them on a frame ( a monopod is okay ) with hand grips and find them much steadier. A 7X50 gives wider fields for comet searches, etc.

• Like 1

In this price range it is important that you buy from a place that has a good return policy, or go to a brick and mortar store where you can try before you buy. QC will be up to you. Prepare yourself for that and read up on how to test binoculars.

• Like 2

Not tried or met any of the ones listed but bear in mind the exit pupil as the 7x50's will be around 7mm, fine if you are young but with age comes a reduction in your pupil dilation so some light may be effectively lost compared to the 10x50 pairs (5mm). Nothing wrong with porro bins, most of mine are and work very well. I'd look for ones that are waterproof tho, note that rubber coated doesn't mean waterproof 🙂

I use a pair of Minolta 10x50 in the main at night, picked up S/H for the princely sum of £22 and are excellent, waterproof and 6.6 degree FoV. The Olympus DPS range are well regarded too but probably above your budget unless you find a good used pair. Risk with used is any alignment (collimation) issues and recourse to the seller if you do find faults, unless you are able to fettle them yourself.

As Ruud says tho, best bet is to try before you buy. Aldi I think often have the Bresser 10x bins at good prices but do check in the store before buying as quite a few will be out of collimation from what I've seen commented online. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I am not that young so I guess I will concentrate on the 10 x 50 binos. Hard to try binos in stores though, since the country here is locked down. I might buy a couple of cheap binos ffom a good store online, different brands and see if they are ok, if not then I guess I return them or learn to collimate binos.

13 minutes ago, xvariablestarx said:

or learn to collimate binos.

not so easy to do but you might achieve alignment that'll suit you. Ideally better to get ones that are already right tho and if new you expect they should be 🙂 

The Internet is filled with “collimation tips” to teach you how to “conditionally align” your binocular.

ABSOLUTELY NONE will teach you how to collimate. In some cases, conditional alignment will serve you.

Most of the “collimation tips” come from those who want you to think they’ve just discovered a sure-fire, 5-minute brain surgery technique. But fighting that battle for 44 years, I say: More power to them. Experience is the best teacher, ANYWAY.

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 4.54.54 PM.jpg

• Like 4

Just a note on ordering bins on-line: there is always a chance that they arrive out of collimation, but that is fairly rare, especially for the better quality bins. Besides, if you order from a reputable store, they will replace them without hassle. The first pair of Helios LightQuest 16x80 bins that arrived by DHL were out of collimation, but FLO replaced them swiftly without any extra cost. I have had similar experiences with other on-line stores (notably astroshop.eu).

• Thanks 1