Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Recommendations for Skymax 127

sputniksteve

38 minutes ago, Hadoram said:

10mm Baader classic ortho is a great eyepiece for Skymax 127. It's great on the Moon, double stars and planets. Planets are a little small of course, but good for the money.

Agree with the baader recommendation. I have the 10mm and 18mm and I much prefer these to the BST’s and passed them on to someone who could appreciate them. Don’t know why, maybe I have dodgy eyes but they do the job for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Resurrecting this thread to ask for opinions about the OVL Nirvana 7mm. I think I've seen @johninderby say positive things about it elsewhere, and I see that @ScouseSpaceCadet has also listed it. I'm toying with this one because, frankly, it's in stock! I want to get hold of one for the October half-term.

Thoughts please 🙂 

Or should I just double my spend and get a 50 deg TV plossl at 8mm? Maybe that will go on my Xmas list ...

On 19/09/2020 at 14:11, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

A 7mm will give you 214x mag. Under UK skies, a realistic magnification. I have the 6mm Skywatcher planetary ep which is used with a 150/750 newtonian. It's provided sharp views of Mars at 100x the last few nights. A good purchase, absolutely no complaints.

The 102 Mak and the NIRVANA-ES™ UWA-82° 7mm works really well, providing 185x mag. The 4mm/7mm/16mm Nirvanas replaced my comparable focal length BST eyepieces and the jump in price was worth it. Sharper, better contrast & wider views with less edge abberation.

Ah - here it is!

I like the TVs they go well with the baaders. Some bought from here on the for sale page. Would love to try other eyepieces such as the OVL etc without breaking the bank. Hopefully soon when the societies start back up. 

2D7EE5AB-5A15-4A85-8AB9-B38E77AB829A.jpeg

Another vote for the Hyperflex. Goes very well with my Orion Apex127, which is very similar to yours. Never impressed with the X-cells (I have the 5mm), it's a bit fussy on eye positioning, I find the BSTs much better.

David

I also have a Skymax 127. I have most of the BST Starguider range which I bought over time to use with my dob. I have had good success with these with the SM127 as well.

However, I have recently purchased the Hyperflex Zoom and am finding that I only really now tend to take the 25mm BST and the Hyperflex Zoom, and that covers pretty much everything I need for planetary.

The zoom is awesome for dialing in the right magnification for the conditions. Previously I found that I was having to revert to a lower mag than really should have been possible just because the next step up in magnification was a bit too high with the fixed FL EPs.

Lee

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, I had first (and second) light with my new BST StarGuider 8mm this week. I’m very happy with it. Draws out lovely surface detail on Mars and, last night, I’m fairly confident that I could discern the polar ice cap. 

First light was actually on Thursday where I took my setup to a new friend’s place. He let me try out his atmospheric dispersion corrector with it which really did yield a very sweet view. So guess what’s been added to my Xmas list!