Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The best 4 inch/5inch achro!

6 minutes ago, Nair al Saif said:

Can anyone send me images unedited through what they see in a 4 inch acro

Images won't really help because a CCD / CMOS chip does not see the way that our eyes do.

Sketches are a better guide.

Also, what is actually visible varies, location to location, night to night and observer to observer.

This thread:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/196278-what-can-i-expect-to-see/

and this section might be of more use:

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/21-sketching/

• Like 1

So I found out that there is a skywatcher 102 on eq 3-2 Mount would the Bresser 102/1000 be better or not.

Apperantly Bresser have a reputation that they are better than skywatcher or maybe it’s the reverse

The skywatcher comes with a rp focuser and the Bresser comes with a 2.5inch hexafocus. Are both lenses collimatable (just in case). And which would people recommend?

Could you Mount the 102/1350 on an eq3-2? No Right? Is any benefit to owning the longer refractor other than ca reduction?

Edited by Nair al Saif

I havn't seen or used a Bresser 102/1350, and it may be a nice scope, but I doubt very much that it will work well with an EQ3/2. I have a Tal 100r (100mm/1000-F10), also an EQ3/2 and a Vixen GP (EQ5 equivalent but better). I do not and would not use it on the EQ3/2 and although it will go on the Vixen GP, I  use it with a Giro Alt/Az mount, 1.75" steel legged tripod with an extension pillar. Its far easier to use and much less back ache. The stability of a mount is really important.

Edited by Alfian

47 minutes ago, Nair al Saif said:

if I don’t like the tripod of the eq3-2 I could always upgrade it to a steel tripod. 

The point I was making was that its not just the tripod although that would make a difference but imo the EQ3/2 is not really up to the job either. It seems to be the way that when it comes to telescope/mount packages, they are frequently sold with a mount that is the bare minimum for the size and weight of the scope. Yes, you can use the scope on the mount but in practice it quickly becomes frustrating because every time you touch the scope it takes too long for the vibes to settle down. Its not what many people want to hear (me included when I first started out) but you (eventually?) wind up spending as much on a mount as the scope. There are exceptions of course. When talking reflectors, this is why Dobsonians are so popular and so often recommended, because you not only get a lot of aperture for your money but also a stable usable mount. In terms of recommendations I would look at the second hand market (if that a possibility for you) and get a good 4" Refractor and a decent separate mount, be it an EQ5 (or equivalent) or an Alt/Az. I'm biased, but my Tal100r is a very good achromat (probably better than the the SW or the Bresser) and was bought for well less than half the price of new. Buying this way, when you come to upgrade and sell on, you will lose very little. 

17 hours ago, Alkaid said:

Really? I think I’d be alright with that set-up for casual DSO hunting, but for Luna or Planetary I’m thinking a bit shaky shaky...

I’ve mounted a heavy 4” (TAL) frac on an AZ4 and it was too much for detailed work.

Had my 120ED on the Az4 with 2" stainless legs for years now. And this includes planetary and Luna. More than happy with this AZ4 mount set up with this scope and was great value second hand. 

5 hours ago, Timebandit said:

Had my 120ED on the Az4 with 2" stainless legs for years now. And this includes planetary and Luna. More than happy with this AZ4 mount set up with this scope and was great value second hand. 

Ah...the 2” legs will have sorted the stability, now I understand, thanks.

4 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

Ah...the 2” legs will have sorted the stability, now I understand, thanks.

I didn't find my AZ-4 stable enough for the ED120 with either 2 inch steel legs or the Berlebach UNI 28 tripod unfortunately. It was great with my F/6.5 Vixen ED102 but longer tubes troubled it when the magnification got over around 150x, which it often does with the ED120 and similar length Tak FC100-DL as well.

I wish it had been different because I always liked the AZ-4 :dontknow:

I'm glad @Timebandit is happy with that combination though.

• Like 2

I have a bresser 102/600s on an exos 2. I've been very pleased with it. Initially the exos 2 had the dive motors on, which are fine. It has a load capacity of 13kg, which means I can also put a c8 on it which I got later on. 

It's also possible to upgrade the exos 2 to goto later on if you wish. (As I did).

The bresser 127 has 4 lenses that's why  is bigger and heavier. Mine has the old focusser. The new hexafoc sounds a great idea, but I've not tried.

Based on a new st80 and my old bresser,  and what I've seen in the shops before lockdown I think the bresser is made better.

Just to point out that the bresser uses Meade/explore scientific type finder shoe so will need to adapt if you want to put something else on.

I didn't think much to the stock bresser 6x30 finder. Awful. I made an adapter for a SW right image 9x50 which was better. 

I thought the stock bresser plossl 25mm ep was quite good. 

The exos 2 and the 102/600s cost me about 250 on the well used market which I thought was a good deal, so it's worth hunting.

47 minutes ago, John said:

I didn't find my AZ-4 stable enough for the ED120 with either 2 inch steel legs or the Berlebach UNI 28 tripod unfortunately. It was great with my F/6.5 Vixen ED102 but longer tubes troubled it when the magnification got over around 150x, which it often does with the ED120 and similar length Tak FC100-DL as well.

I wish it had been different because I always liked the AZ-4 :dontknow:

I'm glad @Timebandit is happy with that combination though.

I suppose it all depends on your personal preference, I use mine on the lawn so this does help dampen any vibration. But as a whole I don't find any slight short time vibrations annoying. Obviously we all have our factors that grate on us i suppose. Some persons may find this does not agree with them. Its like focusers I suppose, I see a lot of people upgrading a focuser as they cannot live with a factory fitted focuser , to which many persons are more than happy with. All personal choice and preference. I could get into eyepieces and personal preference, but that's another story 😀

• Like 2

I had an Evostar 120 on the EQ3-2 mount for a while. The mount was supplied with the steel tube legged tripod as per the Celestron Omni 120 / CG4 combination and the mount was OK for the scope. Not brilliant but good enough for visual observing.

3 minutes ago, John said:

I had an Evostar 120 on the EQ3-2 mount for a while. The mount was supplied with the steel tube legged tripod as per the Celestron Omni 120 / CG4 combination and the mount was OK for the scope. Not brilliant but good enough for visual observing.

Would you rather get the 102/1000 Bresser on aluminium eq3-2 or get and lose the optical advantage but get a better mount or get the 120/1000 eq3-2 aluminium and then upgrade it.

How was the focuser John?

Edited by Nair al Saif

Another vote for the bresser 127L, had one and it was great, trade it only for a SW 120ed. Make an aperture mask to stop it down to 100mm or even 80mm and you get an F/12 - 4" or a virtually CA-free 80mm F/15 scope.

Mind you, it's long and heavy, a Heq5 mount will be a lot better than eq5.

I have a Tal 100rs and a Meade LXD55 127 emc I have had a Skywatcher dual speed focuser fitted to the Meade on a EQ5. One thing you will need with these achros is a extension tube fitted to the tripod or your going to be on the floor trying look through it. 

Solar Set u.jpg

20200710_141935.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

What powers were you pushing it up to?