Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can the Polarscope align Pro App be used in the Southern Hemisphere?

Hi,  I have came across a post on here about an app called  Polarscope align Pro 

I was just interested o know if this app can be used also in the Southern Hemisphere?

Sounds like a good app to get you fairly close to then used the polarscope to get you spot on.

But all the video reviews i have seen so for is only been the Norther Hemisphere.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by bluesilver

Thanks for the reply,

I was actually trying to get an app exactly like polar Scope Align,  but for the Andriod phone

Where you basically just put your phone on the mount and it will tell you where about to move the mount to get very close to polar aligned.

Unfortunately so far all i have found is the version for apple only.

I do have the Synscanlnit app,  and it is great for entering the detail into the hand held unit and also dose show the position of Octans,  or rather the position it should be in the polar scope,  but unfortunately doesn't help you get aligned like the Polar Scope Align app does.

I am not sure that the Synscan Pro app dose this either,  just shows the position of where Octans should be in the polar Scope,  not actually alignes up you mount like the Polar Scope Align app does.

But very much appreciate the advice for sure.

Edited by bluesilver

51 minutes ago, Pryce said:

I like how everyonw just completely ignored this fine joke 😂

🤓its the second time in a week i’m confronted with the seriousness on this forum.   But i cant complain.  Its very nice to be here and read all informative threads plus all members are very helpful!

5 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

🤓its the second time in a week i’m confronted with the seriousness on this forum.   But i cant complain.  Its very nice to be here and read all informative threads plus all members are very helpful!

There is a thread for jokes - but I can't say they are particularly fine ones! 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bluesilver said:

am not sure that the Synscan Pro app dose this either

It does it but only with SW mounts that it can control.

10 hours ago, bluesilver said:

Where you basically just put your phone on the mount and it will tell you where about to move the mount to get very close to polar aligned.

What mount do you have? Does it come with a polarscope?

Read this article and see if it helps https://skyandtelescope.org/observing/daylight-polar-alignment/

Thanks for the replies,

The mount is the Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 mount.

I have an Andriod phone,

I also have Skysafari 6 plus.

It is a tad hard to figure out what they are saying,  but will see if my version of Skysafari has what they are talking about.

It is a bit of a shame that the video that they had of the technique isn't working though,  would help explain a lot.

11 hours ago, bluesilver said:

It is a bit of a shame that the video that they had of the technique isn't working though,  would help explain a lot.

Thats a shame...take a look at this discussion, may help you visualise...

Essentially the technique in the northern hemisphere is, you attach your phone as shown in the pics above and search for Polaris in Skysafari. Now move the mount until Polaris locks in Skysafari.

So something similar should be possible in the Southern hemisphere...

EDIT: Here is a thought... You attach your phone at the other end of the mount (i.e. at the place where the opening of the polarscope is - not the eyepiece end) and search for Polaris.

Edited by AstroMuni

On 29/08/2020 at 07:47, bluesilver said:

Hi,  I have came across a post on here about an app called  Polarscope align Pro 

I was just interested o know if this app can be used also in the Southern Hemisphere?

Sounds like a good app to get you fairly close to then used the polarscope to get you spot on.

But all the video reviews i have seen so for is only been the Norther Hemisphere.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

This app is by sgl member @ecuador I’m sure he can help with any queries .

Found a rough solution that i think will help next time the clouds clear.

A bit of a mix between all the replies put together really.

Found if i use the app that i currently use for finding stars, Skysafari 6 plus.

Place the phone up against the ploarscope eye piece and using the Skysafari app,  zoom right in on the SCP and move the mount around untill the SCP sits in the center.

A bit rough i now,  but has to at least get me close.

I am going to make up a holder for the phone and also include a bracket that will hold the holder over the polarcope eye piece.

The idea being that the holder will sit dead centre of the ploarscope eye piece and when you place the phone in the holder it will sit dead center of the polarscope eyepiece.

Easy enough to make up,  I think this will work.

I did try using Skysafari and just placing it in the top of the mount where the scope sits.  but of course it was 90 degress out,  so that idea didn't work.

Will be interesting to see how my idea works out,  pretty sure someone on here has tried this idea as it all seams too easy.

On 05/09/2020 at 08:02, bluesilver said:

I did try using Skysafari and just placing it in the top of the mount where the scope sits.  but of course it was 90 degress out,  so that idea didn't work.

Could you not just calculate DEC of Polaris -90 to get the value that should be in the centre of your reticle? It should read around -0'd 44' 9" given that DEC of Polaris is +89d 15' 50.8". The RA would remain the same i.e 02h 31' 49.09"

Edited by AstroMuni

As you have surmised, and to definitively answer the original question, Polar Scope Align Pro does work for the Southern Hemisphere (including the Daytime/No polar scope alignment tool that you were actually asking about), but, unfortunately, I don't make an Android version. And that's even though my main phone is an Android - I just have never developed for Android and by now, after adding stuff to it for years, the App is enormously complex to port, which is probably a couple of times I tried to find someone to help it did not pan out...