ASKAR ACL200 - World first unboxing and first impressions

Uranium235

No prob guys :) 

The forecast for me (and probably everyone else in the UK) is a bit dire for the next week or so... too many thunderstorms etc...  Just gotta sit tight and take my chance when a clear spot turns up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

I had ordered a RedCat this week as my Canon 135 is no good at F2 and I can't get a clip in LP filter for my 6D. Have I made the right choice? Hmmm🤔

We wont know until these thunderstorms/cloud go away :)

This sits nicely between a 135mm and a Redcat.... and if it works as it should, it could beat both of them in terms of field flatness.  I still cant get over how heavy it is, very very solid in construction...lol.. quite like the way the dewshield goes "ding" when you flick it :D

3 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

We wont know until these thunderstorms/cloud go away :)

This sits nicely between a 135mm and a Redcat.... and if it works as it should, it could beat both of them in terms of field flatness.  I still cant get over how heavy it is, very very solid in construction...lol.. quite like the way the dewshield goes "ding" when you flick it :D

Will you be testing full frame? Any indication on UK price?

I'll be testing up to APS-C, I dont have anything bigger. But that should cover the vast majority of users. 

As for the price, im fairly certain it will be in region of 650-700. But the guys who sent me this will ensure its competitively priced in the uk ;)

• Like 1

How it might look when set up:

20200814_205041.thumb.jpg.9c306018a52a7b1f4fa5535cd70f8247.jpg

The sky is (sort of) clear at the moment but its a bit murky - and might not last long. If im lucky I might get 30min later on. Not enough for a proper image, but might be just enough to evaluate the field flatness.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Nice unboxing but do think you need to beg/borrow/steal a Canon 6D or similar as this will likely be its favored partner..

Alan

Unfortunately, I dont know anybody local with such a camera (35mm). And its going to be pretty much "grab and go" short notice sessions.

If it satisfies the KAF8300 and APS-C to the point where you really cant tell the difference between the two (in terms of flatness) - theres a high chance it will be good with something larger... but thats just speculation at the moment. Lets just get it up and running, and see whats what.

Edit:

Dont forget, there have been many claims in the past where the manufacturer states that its good up to 35mm. (or beyond).. but thats rarely been the case. The KAF8300 has a 22mm diagonal, that is the minimum requirement for me. As mentioned in my video, if you cant get those corners youre just wasting data/pixels/time - not so bad if youre just doing one frame (and crop).... but I want to build mosaics.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Could we have a recording of the lens cap going 'Ding' please?

😁lly

Next time I take it out, I'll give the dew shield a ding for ya :D  It back under wraps for the next few days atm, its looking like at tleast Thur or Fri next week before it clears up.  The actual lens cap is the only plastic part on it  :)   which probably accounts for its weight. 

• Like 1

Looks like it might be on for tonight. But its going to be a short tun, by the time I get home I would have been working for 14 hours, no way have I got the legs for a late nighter..lol 

A couple of hours in Ha should be enough for a quick look to see if everything is as it should be.

I'll just point it at Sadr and fire away with reckless abandon...lol... should get something interesting, :D

• Like 1

On 13/08/2020 at 16:03, Uranium235 said:

Yesss, its here :)

Many thanks to the guys at Sharpstar/Askar and FLO for making this happen. A reassuringly heavy bit or kit! 

FLO? Will they ne stocking ASKAR then?

I have the ASKAR FMA180 and will be posting a review soon ish, its very nice at the price. This is significantly more expensive though.

Adam

Interesting. I have the Nikon f/2.8 70-200mm lens, but that's obviously a zoom and it has 22 elements... due to the complexity of the zoom plus the aperture. I have been thinking about some sort of prime lens around the 200mm f/l mark as the portable option. The WO Redcat is obviously on the radar. I will be interested to see the results of this.   

3 min into the first 10min sub.... just need it to stay clear for another 7min...lol

I think I will need a better B-Mask, the one im using is fine in LRGB but it gets a bit difficult with Ha. In the end I just focused on red, should be close enough (hopefully).

On 25/08/2020 at 10:36, Uranium235 said:

This should sort out the NB focusing better:

I will be interested how you do when you have the B-mask on to focus as to my eye the left side is less sharp than the right but if focus is not perfect it will show up even the smallest tilt as I am sure you know. so ill stop teaching you to suck eggs.

Adam

Edited by Adam J