NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Amazon Dew heaters

Looking to get a dew heater at the best price possible but also one that will work well!. I have started looking and came across these and wondered if anyone has any experience with them or similar as they seem good for the price and even better that it has a built in controller.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/COOWOO-Temperature-Regulator-Universal-Telescopic/dp/B07MHGW4DG/ref=asc_df_B07MHGW4DG/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309904628344&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12196029910973461519&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006786&hvtargid=pla-709730107637&psc=1

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Bear in mind that these use a USB connection and that might not be convenient on a telescope.

Peter

I have a power bank that could run it so would be ok in that respect :)

I use one of these on my Skywatcher 80 ED and it works fine. But it needs to be up at least at the medium setting to be effective.

I also have several of the W&W astro ones  which are a bit more expensive ( especially when you buy the USB connector) and dont have the controller. In my opinion the W&W are better made and more effective and if i needed another 40cm one I'd get W&W over the Coowoo.

But the coowoo one does the job.

• Like 1

I've used these with both DSLR lenses as well as my SW ED80 and, so far, they've kept dew at bay every time.

I initially powered them through a USB power pack, but I now power it through a USB/mains adapter. Simply means I can put them on the high setting and not worry about running out of juice. Even the high setting is not 'overly hot', but sufficient for most bouts of dew.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add my experience now, I've used the Amazon dew heater twice now, the second time was last night. I don't have a second for my guide scope, both guide and main scope pointing near enough straight up yesterday, the guide scope fogged over, main scope fine. I guess that's enough proof these heaters do the job. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to say I continue to be impressed with these, last night had the worst dew I've worked with, things got damp all over the shot but both scopes, absolutely fine! 😊

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 1

I have one and works well

i got a different one for my guide scope and didn’t realise it will only switch on for 10 mins at a time... doh... so will have to get another Coo-Woo one. 

I power off the mains as well. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gaz81 said:

I have one and works well

i got a different one for my guide scope and didn’t realise it will only switch on for 10 mins at a time... doh... so will have to get another Coo-Woo one. 

I power off the mains as well. 

I just wrap one of the amazon ones around my guide, works well and keeps it nice and warm.

I also use one of these for my guidescope, running off mains. They are so cheap that I thought it was worth the punt. It seems to generate a decent amount of heat but so far only tested twice.

Worst case, I'll rig it into my jacket to keep me warm 😀

Edited by Mr Thingy