Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can I just attach a tune to a mount

Hi

I'm thinking of buying a skymax 127 from skywatcher and an EQ5 mount with syn scan and just wondered if anyone knows if that OTA attaches directly to that mount or if I need some sort of bracket ?

Cheers

Phil

I thought you wanted to add music to a scope :hello2:

I have a Skymax 127 and it has a dovetail bar attached running it's whole legth, this will drectly attach to the head of the EQ5.

You will NOT need anything else.

welcome BTW :D

Ant

*turns on keyboard illumination - gives sheepish grin *

We all make mistakes .... as the hedgehog said climbing off the hairbrush

Thanks for the quick response and its great to know it will work

Phil

Hi Martyn

Thanks for that - you have my concern exactly. I am buying from a shop and they said "it normally comes with the eq3 but for £ 40 more you can have teh eq5 which is a better mount especially if you are thinking of doing photography".

They then forgot to mention I'd need a bettery pack to run the EQ5 or the EQ3 (until I mentioned it) and so I've lost confidence a bit.

I guess the best thing is to mail them first thing on Monday and ask them to confirm that the items will fit together.

Thanks for your help

Phil

Okey Dokey - just dont like to call them as I made the mistake of not buying from them in the first place !

From the manual on the skywatcher web site it looks like the EQ5 mount is fine for their Maksutov scopes as it comes with 2 bars, one of whch is standard vixen (see page 8)

http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/swtsupport/Instruction_Manuals/GENERAL_EQ3and5.pdf

All it is is I dont want it to arrive and then have to complain if its got the worng mount but it looks fine - I'll phone the shop on Monday and as them to check (I did ask them at the time if I needed anything else or would find anything useful) and also order a polar alignment scope (something else thats missing)

hey ho

Thanks once again

Phil

Cheers

As my order is placed I'll have to let it go through I guess but it is only my first order so my next ones will be going to FLO as they have such a good reputation.

Thanks to everyone for all their help

Phil

Hi

Well the scope and mount turned up today - got the mount together fine but can I attach the scope to the mount - can I heck as like ! I guess I'm missing something pretty obvious but I don't know what it is so any help would be great.

The scope (a skywatcher 127) has a dovetail mount attached. The mount (an EQ5) has come with a short mounting plate but not a long mounting plate. Do I use the short mounting plate ? Should I have received a long mounting plate ? Or does the scope attach directly to the EQ5 ?

If I attach the scope (with its attached dovetail bar) to the top of the scope it doesn't seem to slide into anything and they only seem to be the two screws on the side which seem fairly flimsy to hold it in place which is why I didn't want to just use those.

So, if anyone is only (Ant / Deneb :) ) who has this setup and has a month to help me out, I would be enormously grateful.

Thanks

Phil

Archived