Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Semi Permanent Light Shroud and Focuser Mod for Heritage 150p

Chris

I've been tinkering with my new Heritage 150p! Performed a mod to the focuser and made a semi permanent light shroud that can simply stay attached to the scope even if you collapse the truss rods.

I'm yet to test it out under the stars but it looks nice if nothing else.

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good stuff Chris. I did something very similar on my 130 just the other day, works very well.

I’m sure I will buy one of these as soon as they are back in stock at FLO.

D837C42E-8B82-49D0-8D48-0EA0AC17471D.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Good stuff Chris. I did something very similar on my 130 just the other day, works very well.

I’m sure I will buy one of these as soon as they are back in stock at FLO.

Thanks Stu. We really did have the same idea didn't we lol Lovely stealthy looking light weight setup you have there :)

Really looking forward to hearing about the 150. I bought the 130 as my first telescope but I’d like to upgrade to the 150 while keeping the portability of the Heritage. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Timdog said:

Really looking forward to hearing about the 150. I bought the 130 as my first telescope but I’d like to upgrade to the 150 while keeping the portability of the Heritage. 

Well I have several videos on my channel so far regarding the 150p if you get time to check them out.

I don't think it would be a huge jump from the 130p, but it's a very portable 6" of aperture :)

This is my channel page:

https://www.youtube.com/c/DIYAstronomy/videos

• Thanks 1

Great vid Chris and entertaining as always! I need to re-instate my light shroud, the last one (not as well constructed as yours) came apart! You've inspired me to buid another.

I also think it's work having a small dew shield at the front of these scopes to stop extraneous light coming in from the front of the scope - I think this is caused by the eyepiece drawtube being so close to the front of the scope. For example, if I am observing something which results in the eyepiece pointing towards a window or street light, I get light coming into the drawtube. A homemade dewshiled seemed to sort this. Not a problem if you have a dark site though.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, RobertI said:

Great vid Chris and entertaining as always! I need to re-instate my light shroud, the last one (not as well constructed as yours) came apart! You've inspired me to buid another.

I also think it's work having a small dew shield at the front of these scopes to stop extraneous light coming in from the front of the scope - I think this is caused by the eyepiece drawtube being so close to the front of the scope. For example, if I am observing something which results in the eyepiece pointing towards a window or street light, I get light coming into the drawtube. A homemade dewshiled seemed to sort this. Not a problem if you have a dark site though.

Thanks Rob, I try :) I think the dew shield is a great idea, and I happen to have a spare sheet of foam. The videos been pretty well received with nearly 200 views in one day and lots of comments on YT, so I think I should do a part two soon! Maybe further mods could be a dew shield, blackening the edges of the secondary mirror, and maybe a bit of flocking paper. If you have any other ideas I'll add them in :) 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 03/06/2021 at 19:09, tripleped said:

Great  video Chris! Very helpful.  How thick should the foam be?

Thanks! and sorry I've only just found this reply. I think it was 2mm craft foam from Hobby Craft : ) You could get away with 3mm, but any thicker and it might not be compliant enough.  

• Thanks 1