NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New ZWO mono camera on the way?

Spongey

Considering the age of the post this may be old news but does anyone have any ideas what this new mono camera could be?

image.png.5a17d58d0ec9246d531460d727fa102c.png

A Sony-based IMX successor to the ASI1600MM would be right up my alley. In fact, partially because of this post, I've decided to delay buying the ASI1600MM and instead put the funds towards my first 'proper' scope and mount (currently use my DSLR and SkyGuider Pro).

All speculation at the moment I suppose but thought it might spark an interesting discussion!

Cheers

• Like 1

Well, there are lots of sensors out there... The last cameras ZWO released are either full frame, or color APS-C and 1" type (ASI533). What's missing in the mono department is indeed a replacement for the ASI1600, or perhaps the most wished for: a mono APS-C sensor. 

You can check Sony sensors on this page (click on "Products" to see the list of IMX sensors). Make sure you browse the different categories (automotive, industry...): https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/e/products/IS/automotive/

You should also keep an eye on QHY's cameras, they're usually releasing the same cameras as ZWO, sometimes before.

3 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Following with interest.  I'm also in the market for a 4/3rds sensor mono too.  Ideally APS_C but 4/3 would be acceptable.

A mono APS-C I think would be a very hot seller. It seems like, as Space Oddities has mentioned, the most sought after camera by us hobbyists for a long while.

Even if the camera is a 4/3" mono 'replacement' of the ASI1600, I think it could do very well considering the relative shortcomings of the panasonic chip compared to the latest crop of Sony BSI sensors (e.g. microlensing, QE etc.)

10 minutes ago, Spongey said:

A mono APS-C I think would be a very hot seller. It seems like, as Space Oddities has mentioned, the most sought after camera by us hobbyists for a long while.

Even if the camera is a 4/3" mono 'replacement' of the ASI1600, I think it could do very well considering the relative shortcomings of the panasonic chip compared to the latest crop of Sony BSI sensors (e.g. microlensing, QE etc.)

I agree 100%. 

6 hours ago, Spongey said:

Considering the age of the post this may be old news but does anyone have any ideas what this new mono camera could be?

I doubt it will be a large sensor, if I had to guess it would be the IMX304 to position against some other manufacturers that are using it in their cameras.

Adam

12 hours ago, Adam J said:

I doubt it will be a large sensor, if I had to guess it would be the IMX304 to position against some other manufacturers that are using it in their cameras.

Adam

Also, with ZWO, it will may take them a few HW iterations for them to get it right and iron out glitches.  Not sure I want to be an early adopter of a ZWO camera TBH.  The 1600 is tried and tested.

2 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

Also, with ZWO, it will may take them a few HW iterations for them to get it right and iron out glitches.  Not sure I want to be an early adopter of a ZWO camera TBH.  The 1600 is tried and tested.

This does seem to be true, with the 1600 on it's 4th(?) iteration they seem to have finally got it right. I do think though that their experience over the years, and particularly with the 1600, has helped in some of their newer cams; I haven't heard of any hardware issues with the ASI6200 or 2600 etc.

1 minute ago, kirkster501 said:

I'd be interested also in the colour ASI2600 or the QHY268C.  They are a very, very interesting proposition.  A bit rich though

....to say never available.  Not sure if anyone in the UK sells the QHY268C yet...

43 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

I'd be interested also in the colour ASI2600 or the QHY268C.  They are a very, very interesting proposition.  A bit rich though

I had a play with some ASI 2600MC data that was kindly uploaded by @Allinthehead a few weeks back and I can say without a doubt that it seems to be a great camera. Not cheap, but is anything in this hobby? 😅

21 hours ago, Spongey said:

This does seem to be true, with the 1600 on it's 4th(?) iteration they seem to have finally got it right. I do think though that their experience over the years, and particularly with the 1600, has helped in some of their newer cams; I haven't heard of any hardware issues with the ASI6200 or 2600 etc.

Yes but to be honest they have been using that same design for the last 3 years now and it has been the bases of all their recent cameras. The itterations they went through in the first few years are likely due to them introducing their first cooled CMOS cameras and really this has not been an issue on anything they have released in the last 3 years.

• Like 1

Fantastic news! And just what our community has been waiting for 😁 Launch in October 2020... Not too far away at all!

How do you find the ASI 2600MC @Allinthehead? Would you imagine that a mono version of the same sensor would give good results? Presumably there are no microlensing artefacts or other issues with the colour version?

I had a play with your M42 data from that camera and it was a joy to work with!

Cheers

2 minutes ago, Spongey said:

How do you find the ASI 2600MC

It's a super camera, it would want to be for the price. I haven't noticed any issues since i started using it in January. Zero amp glow, no reflection problems and nice deep wells. The cooling works brilliantly and a new anti-dew heater means Zwo have finally sorted their issues with condensation and frost on the sensor. It's a very sensitive camera too, the image below is just 3 hours with an Stc Duo narrowband filter.

1972791716_Veil_ha-Stoiiicombinestarlesscopy10.thumb.jpg.9c0642d8726460a570cc3d9bf3315019.jpg

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

I will get one when it comes out. I think it's going to be a wonderful camera.

Me too.  I think I will wait for these cameras rather than go for the 1600 - good though that is by all accounts.  However, a little voice says to me try out the ASI 2600 or QHy268C.

38 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

I think I will wait for these cameras rather than go for the 1600

I think that's a good call. The 1600 and similar low noise mono cmos cameras have been revolutionary in astrophotography allowing very short narrowband exposures meaning you could get good results with mounts as modest as an Eq-3. It uses a flawed sensor however, the artifacts around bright stars are extremely ugly and i found the amp glow to be problematic too.   

5 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

Me too.  I think I will wait for these cameras rather than go for the 1600 - good though that is by all accounts.  However, a little voice says to me try out the ASI 2600 or QHy268C.

I'm thinking the same. Been going back and forth between 1600 and 2600 but if a mono 2600 is coming soon, possibly worth holding on!

Considering the naming of the ASI 2600 it almost seems like ZWO knew that this sensor would become the 'successor' to the ASI 1600. It will definitely be on my wishlist and I'll be keeping a close eye on it when it finally arrives!

At APS-C I reckon I could get away with 36mm unmounted, for which SX have a 7 place wheel, and as I already have a SX USB wheel that's that sorted. Will wait though to see what QHY, Atik and ZWO come up with. I doubt SX will produce a version.