Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New ZWO mono camera on the way?

Spongey

On 13/07/2020 at 09:56, Allinthehead said:

https://youtu.be/8dNADreK9_0?t=2753

Mono Aps-c on the way. Same sensor as the Asi2600mc and Qhy268c😁 Start at 40:40

Where in the video does it mention an APC-C sized mono camera - maybe i missed it, but only saw  reference to the Full Frame 35mm 600 series Mono  ?  I know ZWO already has released their competing full frame 35mm 6200 series camera - but also no sign of a new APS-C mono camera from them.

3 minutes ago, Northernlight said:

Where in the video does it mention an APC-C sized mono camera

image.thumb.png.556de56c25d1e81e98f095d32b8bb0ac.png

image.thumb.png.3cf9904ef4242475850ba4c2450b8d87.png

Presumably ZWO will follow up with a mono version of the ASI2600, which is the chip being used in the QHY268

Edited by Spongey

55 minutes ago, smr said:

What's the difference between the Photo and Pro version of the QHY268M ? 

Two 10gb fibre ports and I think two extra control ports so you can sync the exposures in multiple camera set ups. As far as I could tell  from the video everything else is the same.

On 13/07/2020 at 17:28, Spongey said:

Considering the naming of the ASI 2600 it almost seems like ZWO knew that this sensor would become the 'successor' to the ASI 1600. It will definitely be on my wishlist and I'll be keeping a close eye on it when it finally arrives!

Not really a replacement it costs a third more. 

I'll be awaiting one of these APS-C mono cameras.  I would also like a colour QHY268 too. 

I'm not spending any money on frivolous purchases at the minute though until I have more job certainty and so an October/early winter season release timeframe fits very well with me.

• Like 1

On 15/07/2020 at 16:48, kirkster501 said:

I'll be awaiting one of these APS-C mono cameras.  I would also like a colour QHY268 too. 

I'm not spending any money on frivolous purchases at the minute though until I have more job certainty and so an October/early winter season release timeframe fits very well with me.

Hope the job situation stabilises for you.

10 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Hope the job situation stabilises for you.

Thanks, yes my role is safe at the moment but one does not know what the future holds with this virus about and so I do not want to be dropping two or three grand - maybe more - on astro cameras whilst there is so much employment uncertainty.

If I was a betting man then I would put good money on you also getting an IMX342 based mono APS-C camera from Moravian along side a 4/3 chip most likely IMX540 based.

So you could have two different new mono chips on the market at the same time.

just a thought.

Adam

Also as this the mono version of the IMX571 is not listed by Sony on their own web page....either QHY have pulled a blinder and gotten Sony to make a special version for them or it could be a debayered OSC sensor........just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity I messaged ZWO last night regarding this...

image.png.46bf44d75196ccbafef5baa6a246ab50.png

To which they replied a short but sweet: 

image.png.4dc97bf746d26a6dd71820b41c642836.png

So it looks like the mono IMX571 is up for grabs and QHY didn't get some exclusive deal from Sony...

No further info at this stage but perhaps we will see the ASI2600MM Pro before the year is out.

Good new all round!

Edited by Spongey
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Spongey said:

Out of curiosity I messaged ZWO last night regarding this...

image.png.46bf44d75196ccbafef5baa6a246ab50.png

To which they replied a short but sweet: 

image.png.4dc97bf746d26a6dd71820b41c642836.png

So it looks like the mono IMX571 is up for grabs and QHY didn't get some exclusive deal from Sony...

No further info at this stage but perhaps we will see the ASI2600MM Pro before the year is out.

Good new all round!

That's an exciting development. Need to start looking at getting an ha filter to pair with it.

I think holding fire for a few months on any major camera purchases is a wise idea at the moment, there seems to be a lot of new stuff in the pipeline. Brand new that is.....  A good deal on something used is not to be dismissed.

Just another thought - do you think it's the end of the road for any new CCD technology now?  I see very little innovation in that area coming down the track but not sure if I missed anything.

Edited by kirkster501

At the amateur level I think development of CCD is effectively dead. Pro CCD might still be being  developed but I have my doubts.

The APS-C format 2600 looks very attractive, at under half the price of the 6200 cameras, plus being able to get away with 36mm unmounted filters, 7 of which will fit in a std SX wheel, and the file sizes will be more manageable.

The image circle will be kinder to the telescope optics too.

I wonder if the QHY version will have the multiple readout modes that the QHY 600 has, and that the ASI 6200 doesn't (AFAIK).

1 hour ago, kirkster501 said:

Yes and Bern is a good guy too.

Yes he is. I had an issue with my QHY8 Pro and he sent it to QHY in China for repair. He sorted out all the delivery, discussions with QHY and sent it back to me at a very reasonable cost. Far lower than it would have been had I undertook the task myself.

Steve

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

Yes he is. I had an issue with my QHY8 Pro and he sent it to QHY in China for repair. He sorted out all the delivery, discussions with QHY and sent it back to me at a very reasonable cost. Far lower than it would have been had I undertook the task myself.

Steve

Indeed, I have bought a few things from him and I can't fault him.