Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New ZWO mono camera on the way?

Spongey

This is very interesting, I use the ASI1600MM Pro at the moment, with the standard OAG and 8 x 1.25" Filter Wheel (as per ZWOs normal bundle).

Do you think, if I upgraded to the ASI2600MM that I would have to move to a bigger Filter Wheel (36mm?) and OAG, or could I just swap out the 1600 with the 2600?

Just now, gilesco said:

This is very interesting, I use the ASI1600MM Pro at the moment, with the standard OAG and 8 x 1.25" Filter Wheel (as per ZWOs normal bundle).

Do you think, if I upgraded to the ASI2600MM that I would have to move to a bigger Filter Wheel (36mm?) and OAG, or could I just swap out the 1600 with the 2600?

Depending on your optical configuration you may need to upgrade to 36mm or 2inch filters.

You can check the minimum recommended filter size for your optics and imaging train in this calculator.

17 minutes ago, Spongey said:

Depending on your optical configuration you may need to upgrade to 36mm or 2inch filters.

You can check the minimum recommended filter size for your optics and imaging train in this calculator.

Seems it's a bit touch and go (Equipment would be an Esprit 120D, with the 0.77 reducer) with that tool the results are 31.25mm with the 0.73reducer, and 30.99mm with the 0.8reducer, would a 1.25" filter equate to 31.75mm (x2.54), or does it not work that way? I've seen that the glass size is possibly 29mm in a 1.25" filter.

Edited by gilesco

10 minutes ago, gilesco said:

Seems it's a bit touch and go (Equipment would be an Esprit 120D, with the 0.77 reducer) with that tool the results are 31.25mm with the 0.73reducer, and 30.99mm with the 0.8reducer, would a 1.25" filter equate to 31.75mm (x2.54), or does it not work that way?

One thing that will make a significant difference to the minimum recommended filter size is the distance from the chip to the filter. Make sure you account for any additional distance introduced with the new camera (12.5mm backfocus minimum).

With a 10mm filter wheel distance this would equate to 22.5mm sensor to filter distance, giving a minimum recommended filter size of 31.63mm and 31.33mm for 0.73x and 0.8x reducers respectively.

The ZWO 1.25" filters appear to only have 26mm clear aperture (source), so you would experience significant mechanical vignetting with 1.25" filters with the 2600MM. 31mm unmounted filters would definitely help but 36mm are really the minimum for this camera with medium-fast optics.

Edited by Spongey
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Spongey said:

One thing that will make a significant difference to the minimum recommended filter size is the distance from the chip to the filter. Make sure you account for any additional distance introduced with the new camera (12.5mm backfocus minimum).

With a 10mm filter wheel distance this would equate to 22.5mm sensor to filter distance, giving a minimum recommended filter size of 31.63mm and 31.33mm for 0.73x and 0.8x reducers respectively.

The ZWO 1.25" filters appear to only have 26mm clear aperture (source), so you would experience significant mechanical vignetting with 1.25" filters with the 2600MM. 31mm unmounted filters would definitely help but 36mm are really the minimum for this camera with medium-fast optics.

Yes, agreed, I think I would need a 36mm Filter Wheel, the standard ZWO OAG would probably be re-usable though. Looks like I'll have to get a couple more years of use out of the ASI1600MM :)

I think both the ASI2600MM and QHY268M are great additions to the market...I'm very tempted :)

One difference between the models (from the spec I can see) are that the back focal distance for the QHY will be 12.5mm, whereas the ZWO ASI will be 17.5mm. This extra 5mm may make a significant difference in terms of available space for filter wheels or adaptors and also the fllter size choice (e.g. 36mm or 50mm) especially for fast focal ratios. All other things being equal the shorter BFL might lean me towards the QHY model.

2 minutes ago, festoon said:

the ZWO ASI will be 17.5mm

This is true in the standard configuration, but the adjuster plate can be removed, as with the 2600MC and 6200MM/MC, in order to gain 5mm of backfocus.

This then requires bolting the camera face onto the filterwheel, which is currently only possible with the 2" ZWO wheel, but there is supposedly a plan to release a bolted 36mm version too. 

It is worth noting that the existing QHY filter wheel works this way.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

The QHY268M is selling for £1799 in the Uk 👍🏻

This is fantastic news, and considerably under what I was initially expecting. Are you still looking to buy one Adam or are you sticking with the 2600MC?

Cheers

12 minutes ago, Spongey said:

This is fantastic news, and considerably under what I was initially expecting. Are you still looking to buy one Adam or are you sticking with the 2600MC?

Cheers

That is a tough question Adam @tooth_dr. When I now ordered a second RASA 8 for a double rig I was thinking long and hard about the camera I need for it and finally settled for a second 2600MC rather than an MM to avoid the hassle with filter changes. With the second OSC I can run one without filters for RGB and one with a dual band for Ha and Oiii. The ASI2600MC is just such a fantastic OSC that I have difficulties believing that an 2600MM with filters would be significantly better. I still have to deal with filters for my ASI6200MM on the Esprit rig but there I have a filter wheel.

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, gorann said:

That is a tough question Adam @tooth_dr. When I now ordered a second RASA 8 for a double rig I was thinking long and hard about the camera I need for it and finally settled for a second 2600MC rather than an MM to avoid the hassle with filter changes. With the second OSC I can run one without filters for RGB and one with a dual band for Ha and Oiii. The ASI2600MC is just such a fantastic OSC that I have difficulties believing that an 2600MM with filters would be significantly better. I still have to deal with filters for my ASI6200MM on the Esprit rig but there I have a filter wheel.

For a scope like the RASA, where filter changes are inconvenient and having a wheel would increase the central obstruction, I think having an OSC makes sense.

Of course, a mono camera with filters would produce better results, but you have already shown how capable the 2600MC is on a RASA, and I think that is more than enough for most folk.

32 minutes ago, Spongey said:

For a scope like the RASA, where filter changes are inconvenient and having a wheel would increase the central obstruction, I think having an OSC makes sense.

Of course, a mono camera with filters would produce better results, but you have already shown how capable the 2600MC is on a RASA, and I think that is more than enough for most folk.

Yes, that is it. I recently read that someone here or on Astrobin (cannot now remeber who) had compared his old ASI1600MM with Astrodon filters with his new ASI2600MC and came to the conclusion that he preferred the images from the OSC!

With a RASA 8 a filter wheel is out of the question (probably not very good with a RASA 11 either due to the obstruction) and only sliders or an Artesky adapter can work. If I had not bought the ASI6200MM, I would certainly have considered a 2600MM for my Esprit 150, but I just gave up waiting and fortunately the Esprit can cover that bigger chip.

@Spongey I’m waiting on delivery on the 2600MC from FLO and the 268MM from MA.

That’s the benefit of a traditional scope, where you weren’t restricted in equipment choice, like with the RASA.  I’ll have the option of using Lum with the mono along with the OSC, or if the moons out, a dual band filter (NBX) on the OSC and H-alpha on the mono.

I have thought about cancelling the order but the intro price is good and with weak pound etc, I’ll bite the bullet and get it.

I would like a 2600 mono on one Esprit 150 and my existing 268c on the other, but the Astro spend cupboard is empty at least for the time being.

I could combine a G2-8300 with the 268c just to see how the OSC RGB data fares with the L shot by the CCD.

816226FB-1ED1-4D5C-A286-4417109D9A94.png

9 hours ago, tomato said:

I would like a 2600 mono on one Esprit 150 and my existing 268c on the other, but the Astro spend cupboard is empty at least for the time being.

I could combine a G2-8300 with the 268c just to see how the OSC RGB data fares with the L shot by the CCD.

816226FB-1ED1-4D5C-A286-4417109D9A94.png

An option could be the .77x reducer giving a closer FOV.  You could then use it to add ha to images etc  

E7BC67D3-0391-43AB-8959-135F66931C98.jpeg.534e458577bf23aaab4c61b121bc6559.jpeg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, smr said:

that astrograph website says the camera is in stock, and then says (scrolling down the page) awaiting delivery. Can't say I'm keen on suppliers who do that. 

I've been in touch with this supplier, as well as the supplier I have ordered mine off.

Essentially this is the situation as far as I can tell - there were a small number offered initially at the discounted price of £1799 - these have all sold out.  BUT then QHY last week announced that the discount price will hold for ANYONE who ordered before 5th Feb, but they will have to wait for their order to be produced/delivered.

So that is why it says awaiting delivery.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I've been in touch with this supplier, as well as the supplier I have ordered mine off.

Essentially this is the situation as far as I can tell - there were a small number offered initially at the discounted price of £1799 - these have all sold out.  BUT then QHY last week announced that the discount price will hold for ANYONE who ordered before 5th Feb, but they will have to wait for their order to be produced/delivered.

So that is why it says awaiting delivery.

That's good to know, thanks. That price is very good. Decisions .... :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, smr said:

That's good to know, thanks. That price is very good. Decisions .... :)

I know, It is a good offer, and can only imagine that it will be genuinely £300+ more after this offer, and only going one way.

I put my order in even before it went up on the site, Rupert mentioned it to me in an email about another matter, so I moved a couple of months before I had intended to. I may have to wait before I can afford the filters, but the price was too good to turn down.

2 minutes ago, DaveS said:

More information on the Astrograph site Here. Though I'm now a little confused as to the back focus.

I'd suggest that the diagrams indicate that if you want to use with a Canon or Nikon camera lens get the short back focus version..   they both have setups for 55m