NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone know what is the name of this part?

AdeKing

IMG_20200627_180319.thumb.jpg.e6ae3eef2935b6b5f1a55551bada6f16.jpg

Can anyone tell me whether or not this is a standard ironmongery type part and if it is, what the correct name for this bracket is?

It is a bracket that's used to connect a spread stopper to the tripod leg but I wondered whether or not it is just a standard part, though I can't find anything online.

Can anyone more knowledgeable than myself help?

Thanks,

Ade

15 hours ago, Corncrake said:

trunnion, or trunnion bracket or sometimes trunnion plate ?

edit: strictly speaking I think "trunnion" is the male bit that would fit into this.

Thank you, I've been searching Google and that certainly seems to be the right part but I can't unfortunately find one small enough for what I need, I think I'll have to make do with using a small corner brace until something more suitable turns up.

15 hours ago, Demon Barber said:

Hi Ade, try Astroboot for spares.  https://www.astroboot.co.uk/ab.php

Mike

Thanks Mike, I've had searched Astroboot but they didn't have any of the small parts. They had a whole AZ Goto tripod complete with spreader and leg braces for the round legged steel tripod, but not what I needed unfortunately.

3 hours ago, markse68 said:

what diameter is the hole and width of the bracket? could you bend something from stainless steel strip?

The hole is 6mm diameter, the bracket is 32.5mm from top to bottom in the photo, 16.5mm from left to right and 10mm deep if that makes sense.

3 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Another reason to buy a 3D printer Ade :thumbsup:

Dave

Thanks Dave, I have been thinking about possibly getting one, but am not sure where to start.  Then again I'm not sure how much use it'd get although I can see the benefit for producing handy little widgets like this.

Do I vaguely remember seeing something a thread about the possibility of a 3D parts board on here where people with 3D printers might be able to help those without?

I wouldn't mind paying costs if someone could print me three pairs.

I've got some 19mm 90 degree corner braces coming next week that should provide me with an interim solution but they won't be as rigid as the part in the photo.

I'm sure that I'll get there in the end.

5 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Thanks Dave, I have been thinking about possibly getting one, but am not sure where to start.

Same here, think I'd not use it much then keep thinking " now if only I had a 3D printer " 😁

Folk might print you some if you supply the CAD drawing in suitable format.

Dave

• Like 1

I'm guessing a bit on the dimensions, but the easiest "home fix" for this that occurs to me would be to buy a short length of 15mm x 10mm-ish aluminium bar off that ebay and drill holes for the screws through the 10mm face and drill (or perhaps ream) 6mm holes at the appropriate position in the 15mm face and then saw it into appropriate lengths.  Something similar might be equally possible using aluminium angle of appropriate dimensions and be easier to achieve without a pillar drill.

Otherwise I'd agree that 3d printing would look to be favourite.  Given appropriate measurements I'm sure someone here could do it.  I'd have a go, but I'm not sure how dimensionally accurate my 3d printer is :(

James

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I'm guessing a bit on the dimensions, but the easiest "home fix" for this that occurs to me would be to buy a short length of 15mm x 10mm-ish aluminium bar off that ebay and drill holes for the screws through the 10mm face and drill (or perhaps ream) 6mm holes at the appropriate position in the 15mm face and then saw it into appropriate lengths.  Something similar might be equally possible using aluminium angle of appropriate dimensions and be easier to achieve without a pillar drill.

Otherwise I'd agree that 3d printing would look to be favourite.  Given appropriate measurements I'm sure someone here could do it.  I'd have a go, but I'm not sure how dimensionally accurate my 3d printer is :(

James

Thanks James, typically I've been over thinking it again.  Why didn't I just think about cutting and drilling some ally angle?

D'Oh, if there is a more difficult way of doing something, I normally jump to that first, will I never learn?

3 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

That's suspiciously close to a boats sprayhood mounting foot. I am back at work on Weds and I will have a look to see what the sizes are. I guess marine grade stainless won't be an issue?

Hi David, thanks so much for this information, I've just searched for "sprayhood mounting foot" and Google has thrown out loads of links to Deck Hinges, are these the same thing?

The deck hinges do look very similar (albeit with two uprights rather that one solid one), they're quite close in dimensions, but most seem to only take a 5mm pin, whereas mine has a 6mm hole. 

They do look brilliant though and being marine grade stainless would outlast the wood of the tripod and would outlast me too, but at £8 a pair on Fleabay they might be a bit on the pricey side as three pairs would be needed.

The key dimensions are the wooden part of the leg that they need to fit to is 15mm wide, and the hole through the plate needs to accept a 6mm unthreaded shaft, but I'd be very interested to hear what you can find.

Thanks again, this is the closest thing I have found so far.

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Same here, think I'd not use it much then keep thinking " now if only I had a 3D printer " 😁

I do find myself thinking exactly that quite often. 

I need to keep a tally of how often I think it, then maybe I'll be able to justify buying one.

1 minute ago, AdeKing said:

I do find myself thinking exactly that quite often. 

Had the same thoughts about getting a Dremel multi thingy, kept putting it off but since getting one I've used it loads.

Dave

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Had the same thoughts about getting a Dremel multi thingy, kept putting it off but since getting one I've used it loads.

Dave

Me too, the cutting discs certainly beat a hacksaw when shortening bolts.

The sanding attachments also made short work of neatly removing wood from the top of some tripod legs too, better than the hatchet job I'd have managed with a saw or chisel.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

These are the things I was thinking of.

They are about 52mm long and the hole centre is 32mm up from the base.

The downside is they are a tenner each (£7 to you).

20200701_142452.jpg

Thanks for looking that out and measuring it up for me David.

It almost looks like it was made for the job of attaching a spread stopper to a wooden tripod leg.