Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

They have a reputation for very good optics so if the mirror is in good nick and it is reasonably priced then why not give it a go. I’ve got a tiny 65mm TAL Alkor and the optics are amazing for such a small scope.

Very good, traditionally designed, quite heavy, 6 inch F/8 newtonian on a strong equatorial. Some features are a little quirky but they are very good performers as Stu says.

The eyepieces are better than the usual stock ones supplied with scopes (especially the 25mm plossl which is a gem). Looks like the equatorial mount needs to be setup properly but the condition overall looks pretty good.

If you have to carry it up and down stairs you might want to think again but if it be kept near or at where you observe it is a very good instrument.

Yup, I had the Tal1 too. A heavy, and typically over engineered piece of russian hardware but optically very decent. By modern standards the focuser is a bit agricultural but quite usable and a proper r&p with no plastic! Curiously Tal reflectors are left handed which is different. I think the Tal2 has a motorised mount which is also of a vintage design. As well as ensuring all optics are good the electrics need to be in good order. From the photos it looks to be in very clean original condition so if the price is right it could be a  nice and quite interesting buy. Worth mentioning that with the pedestal mount and tube assembly it will be heavy and something to consider in terms of moving it around. 

As an additional thought, the finder scope which is a very good too, is the wrong way round which makes me wonder whether the seller is into astronomy. Might be interesting to find out its history.

Edited by Alfian

Really nice scope and that finder is desirable on its own (when pointing right way ;) but check optics are good- finder and ep lenses known to delaminate. And it’s a beast to move- built like a tank!  so much bigger and heavier than the Tal-1 (my first proper scope). Has the nice clock drive too  if that’s working. 

3 minutes ago, sputniksteve said:

Thanks for your comments. The seller currently wants £230, having reduced from £250.

I paid 200 for mine but it had some issues. They don’t come up that often. You need to think how you’re going to use it as it is a beast of a thing. I hardly used mine at all as shortly after bought my 8” dob. Bizarrely the 8” f8 dob is far more portable and usable than the Tal was- I can sling it in the car and drive to my regular site with ease- the Tal would have been a mare. Like others have said if you have somewhere to store it assembled and wheel it out to use it or a proper observatory then it’s a lovely scope and will give fine views. It’s a very different beast to what you could get for that amount new in terms of engineering! 

Mark

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, sputniksteve said:

This is the thing - can get a good 8" dob for not very much more money. In fact, that new SW 6" tabletop dob is cheaper.

I'll keep watching for any further price drops!

Yes, I was thinking it needed to be a fair bit cheaper than that to make sense.

• Like 2